Question for those of you who have a set of encyclopedia... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-12-2012, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

did you also keep the year books and science annuals? I have a set of World Books from 1989, I think, and there are also almost as many year books. I don't have the space for just the original set and my husband thinks I'm crazy for keeping those...

Just wondering if anyone has dealt with this. BTW, my children are small and still non-readers.

#2 of 7 Old 06-13-2012, 08:34 PM
AAK

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I wouldn't keep any of it to be honest.  Why do you feel like keeping them?

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#3 of 7 Old 06-14-2012, 04:46 PM

Um, I was raised in a poor family and the encyclopedia set that got me through public school was from 1969.. I graduated with honors in 2000. A lot of it will be irrelevant but it could be interesting. Do you plan to use encyclopedias? Could you use the current set at the library?

And I promise if your children are like me, it is fascinating just to read through. I particularly liked the spider article even though I have a fear of that. I don't plan to have a set for my children as we have internet access but if you feel your family needs it and you could potentially make room for it (book shelves in the hall worked for us) then I say go for it.

intactivist.gifwinner.jpg fambedsingle2.gif  learning.gif homeschool.gif buddamomimg1.png gd.gif delayedvax.gif selectivevax.gif  supermod.gif (Yeah right)

angel3.gif loss 2/28/03           photosmile2.gif  ds 1/5/08             asl.gif dd 2/8/10

When we know better, we do better. ~Maya Angelou 

#4 of 7 Old 06-14-2012, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

OP here. I guess I wasn't very clear earlier. I do have a set and intend to keep them. We do have internet access, but I admit to being old-fashioned and like the idea of teaching my children how to look in a book for reference. And, completely IMHO, I am ok with my children being as low-tech as possible for a while.

I used to read through these books, looking at the pictures and just remember it being a pleasant experience.

So, again, my question is now that I've basically committed to keeping the actual encyclopedias, do I also keep the annuals and science year books? Surely someone has dealt with this? ;)

#5 of 7 Old 06-14-2012, 07:47 PM
AAK

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishpony View Post

OP here. I guess I wasn't very clear earlier. I do have a set and intend to keep them. We do have internet access, but I admit to being old-fashioned and like the idea of teaching my children how to look in a book for reference. And, completely IMHO, I am ok with my children being as low-tech as possible for a while.

I used to read through these books, looking at the pictures and just remember it being a pleasant experience.

I agree that learning to use an actual book for reference is a good skill!  I also loved browsing through them.  For me, we just don't have the space so we have an general purpose encyclopedia (book form) that is in one volume.  It doesn't cover nearly as much though.  We also use the library set as well as subject specific sets.  I hope I didn't offend earlier.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#6 of 7 Old 06-14-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishpony View Post

So, again, my question is now that I've basically committed to keeping the actual encyclopedias, do I also keep the annuals and science year books? Surely someone has dealt with this? ;)

My family had these books. I rarely used them and never quoted them. However, they are there to keep the set updated.

intactivist.gifwinner.jpg fambedsingle2.gif  learning.gif homeschool.gif buddamomimg1.png gd.gif delayedvax.gif selectivevax.gif  supermod.gif (Yeah right)

angel3.gif loss 2/28/03           photosmile2.gif  ds 1/5/08             asl.gif dd 2/8/10

When we know better, we do better. ~Maya Angelou 

#7 of 7 Old 06-14-2012, 08:54 PM

I don't have anything but the actually original set of books but I would be likely to keep them. rather like national geographic magazines they are rich sources of information for Years.

Treece likes this.

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

Tags
Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page