Art supplies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-15-2012, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi!  I am in need of some art supplies for school this year.  I will hit up Target when the crayons, markers, colored pencils and whatnot get cheap- but I would like some good watercolors, perhaps some watercolor pencils, sturdy paper for painting and the like as well.  Is there a good reasonable online source that anyone would like to recommend?  I stocked up last year at our homeschool conference- but didn't get to go this year (too far and too pregnant).  I was thinking about checking at Hobby Lobby- but unless I find it on sale or with a coupon- they are expensive!  Ohhh and stickers and fun stuff too!  (please don't tell me dollar store- I never seem to get there in time and live sooo far from town!)  

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#2 of 8 Old 06-15-2012, 12:59 PM

We are Waldorf-inspired homeschoolers so we try to use quality art materials. Watercoloring paper, watercolors, pastel chalk, quality brushes, modeling beeswax, beeswax crayons, and quality drawing paper for our main lesson books can really add up!

My first stop is always Michaels- do you have one nearby? I always go in with a 40% off coupon in hand. This helps a lot. I'm able to get high quality materials this way by adding a new item each week and slowly building our supply over the summer.

My next favorite resource is amazon- they have been carrying more and more Waldorf art supplies, which are high quality, and their prices are good.

After that, I shop at Paper Scissors Stone for everything else I need but couldn't get at the first 2 sources.
#3 of 8 Old 06-16-2012, 08:40 AM

If you have an a c moore near you they have great sales this week. 9x12 high quality watercolor pads came down to $5 and change then there was an extra 15 or 25% (can't recall which) if you have documentation that you're a homeschooler. 

#4 of 8 Old 06-16-2012, 10:03 AM

We are Waldorf-inspired so we do tons of art handwork.  For good watercolors, water down tempera paint and put it in small jars with lids.  I use Crayola as it is the only brand I found with the least amount of smell.  It works as well as Stockmar and is so much cheaper.  Watercolor crayons are also lots of fun, as is modeling clay (I hate modeling beeswax, personally).  I shop at Michael's and order through Amazon.  I buy the Creatology Paint Pads from Michael's for about $3 for 20 sheets and it works really well with our wet-on-wet painting.  We use white cardstock for regular drawing paper (I don't like flimsy paper at all).  Also, buy good quality brushes from an art store.  We have two that we use--one that is square with about a 1" head and one that is square that is much smaller (maybe 1/4").  Cheap brushes will have bristles that come out all over your painting and that stinks.  Also, plain squares of acrylic felt are great fun--you can do so much with them--needlefelt scenes onto them, make playmats, make puppets, make bean bags ... lots of things.  I'd also recommend buying some inspirational books to give your child ideas on different art activities.  Maybe play around on Amazon and look and see what felt craft books for kids they have.

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05
#5 of 8 Old 06-16-2012, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I buy a lot of basic, simple art supplies.  Rainbow resources is my go-to source.  

I really like this heavy paper.  Good for painting and drawing and $2.75 for 100 sheets is a good price.  

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/sku/048563/5a52f91c27d228b921642cdb

Nice quality construction paper:  

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/sku/023709/5a52f91c27d228b921642cdb

Good colored pencils:

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/Giant+Colored+Pencils+-+12+Colors/049126/5a52f91c27d228b921642cdb?subject=16&category=7138

Watercolor paper is always expensive, but I have bought this paper before and it was quite nice:  

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/sku/047655/5a52f91c27d228b921642cdb

I haven't used watercolor pencils.  They look lovely. We have an old set of watercolors that we have been using the past few years.  A little goes a long way, so while it is expensive it lasts and lasts.  

We love art!!!!

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#6 of 8 Old 06-17-2012, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Ohhh thank you so much everyone!  We don't have a Micheals or ACMoore- and the nearest HobLob is 40 miles...  I did finally find the place I shopped at last year at the homeschool conference and want to share the link with you all....  www.millerpadsandpaper.com  

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#7 of 8 Old 06-18-2012, 04:07 PM

Careful with markers - they can be pretty toxic, but you can find nontoxic ones. This article links to some nontoxic sources, including markeres: Nontoxic art supplies. And Cheap Joe's carries nontoxic markers.   

Lillian

#8 of 8 Old 06-19-2012, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Tags
Learning Resources , Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page