Can homeschooling be successful if both parents work full time? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-19-2012, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

To clarify- I am thinking about teenagers, middle school / high school, not elementary. Evenings? Weekends? Has anyone tried it? What worked? What didn't work?

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

Certified, card carrying member of the IEP Binder Clubkid.gif  

#2 of 4 Old 06-19-2012, 07:56 PM

We've done it and it was fine. Very, very scheduled...but fine ;)  I always tell people that school can happen anytime, not just 9:00-3:00 Monday-Friday. We've done evenings, weekends, mornings...whatever worked around our schedules.

WOHM to DS11 and DD9, both T1Ds

#3 of 4 Old 06-21-2012, 06:05 AM

No personal experience here, but I would say it depends on whether useful adults will be available to the kids during the hours that you are working.  Will they be staying home alone?  If so, will they have easy access to the library, public transportation, museums, etc.? 

If you haven't already done so, you might check out Grace Llewellyn's The Teenage Liberation Handbook, which covers home learning for teens, and some unconventional forms it can take.

I know that in some cases where the parents work full-time, it can be useful to use a program like Clonlara to help document teens' learning, if going to college later is a consideration.

#4 of 4 Old 06-21-2012, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I've been doing this since DS was age 5. I'm a single parent so I take on both roles.  I work outside the home as well.  He will be 12 this school year and just finished up Jr High.  DS was home alone last year while I went to work.  He was able to do his schooling while I was gone then during the evening we reviewed what he needed help with.  I must say, DS has been trained in a way to be very independent and self sufficient.  He's been doing his own school work from the beginning at the sitters while I've been at work.  He has been taking online STEM classes for the past couple years.

I also spend weekends doing enrichment type activities (field trips, science projects, etc).  There is a HUGE life/work balance for ME and there is a huge time management balance for both of us but I wouldn't trade the set up for anything.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Tags
Homeschooling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page