eBooks or Physical Books - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: When given the choice, which do you choose?
eBook 3 23.08%
Physical Book 7 53.85%
We don't use textbooks. 1 7.69%
Other 2 15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-20-2012, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is mostly pertaining to textbooks. I am curious what seasoned (and new) home schoolers choose in this regard.

intactivist.gifwinner.jpg fambedsingle2.gif  learning.gif homeschool.gif buddamomimg1.png gd.gif delayedvax.gif selectivevax.gif  supermod.gif (Yeah right)

angel3.gif loss 2/28/03           photosmile2.gif  ds 1/5/08             asl.gif dd 2/8/10

When we know better, we do better. ~Maya Angelou 

#2 of 10 Old 06-20-2012, 02:05 AM

E-books are just so much easier to manage. In our house we have 3 Kindles, 2 Ipads and e-reader apps on all of the phones. Our entire library goes with us everywhere. We can all study anything at anytime. And the "find" option makes a world of difference.  

#3 of 10 Old 06-20-2012, 11:29 AM

I love to read fiction on my kindle, but if I'm reading non-fiction, a physical book works better for me.  

#4 of 10 Old 06-20-2012, 11:38 AM

We do not use textbooks and I also have not gotten anything specifically for homeschooling for our e-reader yet. I am considering it though depending on cost and availability of what we want to use next year.

Dh is a college student and is considering getting some of his books next semester as e-books.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#5 of 10 Old 06-20-2012, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Honestly- it just all depends.  I have a NookColor and the ability to get books from the library on there is great, I can also get numerous books for free that way.  DS takes some online classes and most of that material is online or email format.  He also loves printed material as well.

I guess we are non-committal at this point and love all the options available to us.  I love my Nook and wouldn't give it back for anything but sometimes I just want to curl up with an actual book as well.  DS loves technology but sometimes printed material is better.  Graphs and charts are difficult on e-readers, sometimes he needs to 'see' 2-3 pages and you can't do that electronically.

I would say ideally: literature, history on e-books while math and science printed books.  (at least for jr high and above)

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#6 of 10 Old 06-21-2012, 11:01 AM
AAK

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

So far, most "texts" that we have used are either math (which I really like printed out) or a text/workbook combo (science).  So, I find that I still prefer regular books.  But, I still prefer regular books for pleasure reading too.  

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#7 of 10 Old 06-22-2012, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I prefer physical books.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#8 of 10 Old 06-22-2012, 03:52 PM

physical books 100% reading on screens gives my daughter and I a headache

#9 of 10 Old 07-01-2012, 08:06 PM

I say a mix of both. Having a library at your fingers is fantastic, but having a phsical book is great for note taking etc... there is just differant experiance. 

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
#10 of 10 Old 07-10-2012, 02:31 PM

We will start to homeschool in the beginning of the year and I had an option of buying online curiculum and ebooks for our materials. I choose to go with traditional books because I like the ability of leafing throught the book and looking up quickly parts that interest me. I have sony reader and kindle and love both for reading fiction books but reading educational books also did not work for me. I missed flipping the pages. 

Tags
Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page