Don't Waste Your Money on Little Passports - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-20-2012, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I haven't been happy with the program and will not be renewing it. The website says that you get monthly packages "filled" with stickers, information and trinkets, which is patently false. There is very little that comes monthly and it actually disappoints my daughter rather than makes her look forward to getting the mail, as the "packages" are often late and are paltry, to say the least. With the money you save, you could make fantastic packages for a quarter of the price for your kids filled with lots more info and souvenirs. 

#2 of 9 Old 06-21-2012, 11:05 AM
AAK

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leili View Post

I haven't been happy with the program and will not be renewing it. The website says that you get monthly packages "filled" with stickers, information and trinkets, which is patently false. There is very little that comes monthly and it actually disappoints my daughter rather than makes her look forward to getting the mail, as the "packages" are often late and are paltry, to say the least. With the money you save, you could make fantastic packages for a quarter of the price for your kids filled with lots more info and souvenirs. 

I completely agree.  We did this one year and while I liked the randomness of the countries, we ended up using it as a springboard for a unit.  Totally not worth the $$$ though.  Esp. since on pinterest (Michael's craft store) has an around the world theme right now for craft projects.  Some are good, others not so much.  But, a parent wouldn't even have to come up with an idea herself now.  Just use their project and then study the country.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#3 of 9 Old 06-21-2012, 04:18 PM

Huh.  We've been doing it for 18 months and we have a blast with it.  Our kids love it and can't wait for the next country.  The highlight of the program so far has been the elephant poop paper from India. :)

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#4 of 9 Old 06-22-2012, 04:38 AM

Is Little Passports through Highlights or is that a different thing?  (I remember they have some sort of "travel the world" discovery series that I got an ad for, but I can't recall the name.)

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05
#5 of 9 Old 06-22-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyRae View Post

Huh.  We've been doing it for 18 months and we have a blast with it.  Our kids love it and can't wait for the next country.  The highlight of the program so far has been the elephant poop paper from India. :)

Likewise. We're about 10 months in, and my kids are loving it. DS2 just got his India package about 10 minutes ago. They're really excited to receive it.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#6 of 9 Old 06-26-2012, 06:29 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)

Our Reviews section would really benefit from your opinions about this product. Anyone care to place their review and invite everyone over to post theirs? 

http://www.mothering.com/community/products/

#7 of 9 Old 06-27-2012, 08:32 PM

We just ordered this for this coming school year.  My kids have friends who did little passports and got to see the treasure chests and LOVED it.

I'm sad about your review and hope you would have had a better experience.  Interesting how kids are all so different.  One mans junk is another's treasure I guess

Chandi

: :Mama to 4 girls and Michael is here 9/11/09 We love :::
#8 of 9 Old 07-03-2012, 04:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

The one by Highlights is called Top Secret Adventures.  We really like this one. 

We have been doing it since dd was 7 (In fact, Highlights sent us the postcard on her 7th birthday and I rememeber wondering where they got her date of birth)  She doesn't do it every month, but if she's got a few piled up she will get on a roll and do 2 or 3 in a month.  I think she likes being able to do one after another.   Usually she will have a friend over and either they will both do one together or they will each take a country and do it, and then exchange (they don't write in the workbooks).

Quote:LuxPerpetua
Is Little Passports through Highlights or is that a different thing?  (I remember they have some sort of "travel the world" discovery series that I got an ad for, but I can't recall the name.)

no longer momsling.GIF or ecbaby2.gif orfly-by-nursing1.gif ... dd is going on 10 (!) how was I to know there was a homeschool going on?

#9 of 9 Old 11-08-2013, 07:56 AM

I understand the difference in opinions - the kits have really gone downhill.  I now see it as a  cheap money maker.

Little Passports started out as a great product and my eldest daughter really loved it.   The packets were sent in great padded brown envelopes with country stamps on them (as advertised on the website - they really had a cool look to them).  Inside were quality souvenirs (i.e. Putamayo CD!)  and stickers for a passport, little suitcase, and map, a pass for online activities, and a gamesheet.  The accompanying pictures and stories were a little hoaky but still fun.

Now the package comes in a rumpled bubble envelope and the souvenir has devolved into a cheap, terribly disappointing piece of Cr**.  My youngest who so envied her sister's kit is so disappointed every time she opens the package.  Last time it was toy "made in mexico" so tiny as to be non-functioning ( and painful when it whacked into her knuckles) - her sister's from an older kit was full-sized and high quality.  This time it was a plastic whistle that didn't work (really, something that comes a 100 to a bag for $10).  I've pasted a pic that shows all the great stuff my eldest received previously.  The cheap plastic non-functioning whistle was received by my youngest today in a crumpled envelope (with an illegible South Africa stamp on it).

I've written to the company twice, but no reply.  I'm terribly disappointed in the two mothers who started it.  Either they're now only in it for the cash, they've sold the company to someone who's only out for the money, or they've fallen on hard times.

I hate seeing reviews now that rave about this - there will be many disappointed kids.

Tags
Learning Resources

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page