Homeschooling with baby and toddler - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-03-2012, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I decided to hs my son for first grade this fall. I sent my notification and have accumulated most of the materials I need. He is excited to try hs. But I'm having serious doubts. My daughter will be 2.5 and I'm due with a third in September. I'm afraid I will be too exhausted to give him attention he needs. I would rather him go back to ps then or get the attention because I'm too tired or the little ones are too distracting. I am just really second guessing myself. Especially because I don't tend to be a scheduled and organized person. Any words of wisdom?
#2 of 5 Old 07-03-2012, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)

Welcome to Mothering BradelyMomma2! I was in your shoes when I homeschooled my girls. I didn't find it difficult at all but we were really relaxed in our approach - more unschooling than homeschooling. We did some structured learning - as the girls wanted. It worked well for us. :)

#3 of 5 Old 07-04-2012, 05:58 AM

I am due with a baby in November, so I am starting to homeschool now (during the summer).  That way I can figure out how it works before the baby enters the picture and also so I am head of the game and can take some time off when the baby arrives.  Other than that I have no advice.

#4 of 5 Old 07-05-2012, 01:46 PM

You can do it!

Homeschooling a first grader doesn't take a lot of time per day. What the school does in 7-8 hours, you can really do in around two. You can work in schoolwork time around your baby's naptime or do it when your partner is home to help with the baby, or have your partner do it.

What saves my sanity (especially after having a baby) is planning times to get out of the house. It's hard to be home all day, so we go to the library once or twice a week, the park when it's nice out and we sign up for any homeschool group field trip that comes up.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#5 of 5 Old 07-07-2012, 01:02 PM

I agree with the PPs- totally doable!  we spend about an hour and a half a day on 'school' for DD- who is in first grade.  We also do a lot of unstructured learning and reading and grocery list writing and whatnot.  Nap time for little ones is a great time to do school with the oldest!  Although I find that if I wait until that time I am tired too- but that is because most of my tribe has quit morning naps...  

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

Tags
Education , Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page