Question for anyone who has used Mcguffey primer - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-03-2012, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It looks a bit lengthy, though the lessons are short. How long should it take.did it take you to

complete it with your child? I'm considering using it to teach reading.

#2 of 4 Old 07-07-2012, 05:07 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)

Bumping up for attention. Anyone have info to share? shy.gif

#3 of 4 Old 07-07-2012, 05:21 AM

I was so excited to try the McGuffey Primer when I first began homeschooling 9 years ago.  I ended up not really liking it.  I felt it was too vague to give me the confidence I needed to teach reading.  I ended up using Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons successfully with all 6 of my children.  They all learned to read early, and have been several grade levels ahead of their peers.  I've also used it to teach two  children outside my family who were struggling to learn how to read. If you PM me, I can email you a simple printable sticker chart I've created for the book (in MS word), as well as a few tips for how I've used it.

In addition to the book,  I highly recommend LeapFrog's Letter Factory DVD in the preschool years to help teach and reinforce the basic phonics.  All of the Leap Frog movies are great, but this one is the best, IMO. 

Good luck!  I have found teaching children to read to be one of the most satisfying things I've ever done.  I really love it!

homeschool.gif    Homeschooling Mama of 6 wonderful kids (14, 12, 10, 9, 7, and 5)

Homeschool Tracker - keeps me sane smile.gif

My favorites:  Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons, Saxon Math, Easy Grammar, Sonlight, Writing with Skill

#4 of 4 Old 07-07-2012, 12:58 PM

I tried to use it very briefly but we had issues with of all things the font.  So we switched to 100 Easy Lessons- and that was ok until about the midpoint where things went downhill with DD.  So then we hit 1st grade curriculum and that made a huge difference for us!  We are supplementing with Pathway Readers for reinforcement.  We plan at some point to go back to the McGuffey series- but not right now.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

Tags
Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page