Would you HS if you lived in an amazing district? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 07-25-2012, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 10yo daughter says "Heck, yeah!" she'd choose to homeschool over going to school.  I'm glad that she agrees with me but even if she didn't I wouldn't send her to school ever.

We began homeschooling, almost 16 years ago, as a result of issues with the school but within the first year we saw the amazing benefits to our family relationships.  We've never looked back.  We homeschool because we don't want anyone else to raise our children.  If we sent them to school (any school) the end result would be that someone else would spend more time around them than us and we're not okay with that.  If you think about it, your kids sleep at least 8 hours a day.  They go to school 7-8 hours a day.  That should leave you with 8 hours but in all reality, much of that time is spent as a slave to the school, doing things like helping with home work, getting ready for school, winding down from school, etc.  When, you add to that, hygiene, preparing and eating meals, it takes another big chunk of time.  What do you have left?  Not to mention that after spending all day, giving their best at school, what are you left with?   You're left with the dregs of your child. 

We have two older kids who attended school until the 3rd and 4th grades and two younger kids, who have never been to school.  The oldest two are twenty-six and twenty-four-years old, now.  My twenty-four-year-old daughter is severely dyslexic and also has ADD and Scoptic Sensitivity Syndrome.  We don't believe in medicating that kind of thing unless it's with food or supplements.  The younger two are almost fifteen-years-old and ten-years-old.  They had some issues but those issues have been addressed either by time, diet or with supplements.  If you have a child with learning issues, look up Dianne Craft.  She put us on the road we're on now.   

All through, the eight years that they homeschooled, the older two really struggled with Math.  We tried different learning styles, different teachers, you name it we tried it.  It was exhausting!  They had a huge amount of trouble retaining what they were 'taught."  My oldest two ended up at an HVAC company with an apprenticeship program, a year apart.  Every year, the first quarter of "school" taught higher math like Algebra, Calculus and Trig.  Both kids did well but my "learning disabled" daughter really shined.  She maintained an A average during the time she attended.

What I got out of that experience was that if kids are interested, they learn better.  If they desire to learn something, they'll retain it.  If they have a need to learn it, they will.  At this point, our homeschooling has evolved to a very child-led form of schooling.  My younger kids love learning.  They're constantly search out new things to learn.  My younger son is a WWII buff.  My younger daughter is horse crazy.  I think the fact that they've never been to school has impacted that love of learning.  They don't have any expectations about what learning is because they didn't have that forced on them.

A couple of the things that I've learned over the years:

A friend of mine used to say" she could let the school mess up her kids or do it herself.  Then, she would add, ". . . at least I love my kids."  No one at school will ever love your kids the way you do.  No teacher, no matter how much they care, will ever care the way a parent cares.  This is a better reason to homeschool than any other.   

I used to worry about gaps in my children's learning.  A friend of mine pointed out that all kids have gaps.  From school to school, they'll have different gaps.  When I really grasped this, 3-4 years into homeschooling, I realized that as homeschoolers we can choose which are the important things to focus on or in other words we can choose the gaps that we want our kids to have.   I've learned that some things just aren't as important as other things.

I'm always horrified that when many people hear that we homeschool, they say things like: Oh, I could never spend that much time around my kids.  I'd kill them.  Why would you choose to have children, if you don't want to be around them?  In my experience, the more time you spend around your kids, the better relationship you'll have with them.

So, the short answer is we'd homeschool no matter what.

mennofied likes this.
#32 of 45 Old 07-25-2012, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I would consider it more but I'd probably still lean towards homeschooling.

I would need to know what an amazing district really means. If it just means above average test scores - I could care less about that. If it means an opportunity to be in a school with alternative methods that I agree with, where there are small class sizes with lots of parent involvement, special programs I was interested in, etc. then that would lead me to consider it.

My major (not only) reason for homeschooling is social. If I was in a district where I could trust -as much as anyone is able to- that my child would be safe both physically and emotionally from the negative influences of bullying it would make make me much more interested in sending her to school. I haven't found a school district who can even pretend to promise that so for us - homeschooling it is.

mama to three little ladies
#33 of 45 Old 07-25-2012, 12:00 PM

We were both homeschooled. My parents didn't want to put me in the public school system bc of all the junk that goes on in them. Till I was 12, that junk came mostly from my cousins. It was a SMALL district, so small there was only one bus for all the kids K-12 for each part of the county. Mom didn't let us play with certain cousins bc they were into drugs and all sorts of stuff, so she didn't want us on the bus with them either.  She decided since I was born in Dec, she would start me a year early at home. If she "ruined me", she could send me to school the next year. She had already taught me how to write my name, letters, numbers and colors, so it was pretty simple. That was 28 years ago. This is her first year NOT homeschooling one of us. She never regretted it.

My in-laws were more for religious reasons I think. We're planning to HS our kids K-12 for basically the same sorts of reasons. I think most kids do better HS anyway.

Frequent Auto Correct Victim. Sheepish.gif

Loving the (mostly) organic country life as a SAHWM . Married to my hubby since '08heartbeat.gif, Ana born at home 11/12 slingboy.gifdust.gif

#34 of 45 Old 07-25-2012, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Placing this conversation on our Facebook page

#35 of 45 Old 07-25-2012, 01:30 PM

As a HS child, I agree with the posters that "what works well now might not be what you do later."  I really, really wish I had been allowed to go a high school (public or private).  Homeschool was pretty isolating, and though I did have friends and activities to some degree, I had no real idea of how to study on someone else's timeline or deal with peer and professors (observing negative behavior is not the same).  I could have benefited and gained so much confidence from the opportunities high school offers.  Your kids might not be college-bound, or maybe they won't be interested in what the high school has, but I encourage you to just take it year by year and do what works for each year, and each child.  I am not homeschooling my kids right now, (my DH is the SAHD, while I work FT), but if I were a SAHM, I might have considered it.

Mama to babygirl.gif 3/2007, vbac.gifbabygirl.gif 10/2009,  angel.gif 3/2012, vbac.gifbabygirl.gif 2/2013

#36 of 45 Old 07-25-2012, 01:34 PM

As I found out, this depends on the child, not the district. 

We live in a sub par district with a local Charter School that offers a home school option.  Being partial to the Charter philosophy I moved my children at the beginning of this last year.  My 4th grade son did amazing, but my 7th grade  daughter suffered.  I put her back in the public school half way through the year and she just finished 7th with straight A's!  I also moved my son back out of convenience and he finished the year with a B average after keeping straight A's with the Charter HS program.

#37 of 45 Old 07-25-2012, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Yes, yes, yes, we would and do homeschool even in an excellent public school district.  For us, it's not a matter of schools being substandard, it's a matter of philosophy and principle: we have very strong views on how (and when and whether) young children should encounter formal education.  Having lots of options and a great school district is still a benefit, though, because there are many programs homeschooled kids can participate in at our local Waldorf school and French-American school, and we will be offering our children the choice of attending a high school.  But for right now, they are quite young, and not ready for schooling outside the home.

It is awesome that we have public schools in the US and that education is compulsory.  But no matter how wonderful that is, the public school system is simply not capable of meeting the needs of every child at every juncture.  Our family is doubly fortunate because we can afford the time to homeschool.

#38 of 45 Old 07-25-2012, 06:06 PM

Absolutely!  We live a five minute walk to the neighbourhood elementary school, which has about 80 students for K-6 - you can't get better student-teacher ratios in a public school than that.  And the principal is a fantastic lady.  But that doesn't matter.  We love homeschooling - it's a way of life - we've been homeschooling for 7 years now.  Our two children absolutely thrive on it - everyone always comments on what great, polite, bright children we have.  They both are working way above grade level.  I use what works for them and don't worry at all about what the local schools are doing - when it comes down to it, I am preparing them for college/university/profession/life, and we homeschool with that in mind.  According to studies, nothing beats homeschooling - socially, academically, or for future career success and happiness.

#39 of 45 Old 07-26-2012, 10:36 AM

Yes, absolutely. But I think your answer will depend on why you have decided to homeschool. We are not homeschooling because of we don't live near a "good" school. In fact, we actually live across the street from one of the best elementary schools in our area and we still homeschool. However, we chose this path because it's what feels right for our family and we feel like the school system as a whole is broken. I also think deciding to homeschool for high school is a separate decision to make. We are unsure what we will do for highschool at this point, but we have many years before we must decide.

Wifey buddamomimg1.png to DH jammin.gif, Mama chicken3.gif to DS 8, DS 6, DD 1

homeschool.gif   lactivist.gif    h20homebirth.gif    goorganic.jpg

#40 of 45 Old 07-26-2012, 08:51 PM

We live in a "great district" and still homeschool because I fell that is what is best for my family now.  However, it is real comfort knowing that if or we (or our children) decide to go to school  they would end up with a good education.  You could always HS in the beginning then send them.  Do what you feel is right in your heart.  As parents we must listen to our instincts, and those instincts may change with time and experience.  Good luck with your journey.

#41 of 45 Old 07-26-2012, 09:44 PM

I too live in a "great district," but homeschool. Initially because my child was not ready for the large crowd of kids at public school and because there were so many opportunities with homeschooling for novel learning experiences. Then she got into acting and now we homeschool for performing arts reasons. 

Book loving, editor mom to 2

#42 of 45 Old 07-28-2012, 10:08 PM

I would still homeschool.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#43 of 45 Old 07-30-2012, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I am not sure.  My family moves a lot, so we have had our kids in and out of school in various combinations.  

We love homeschooling, but then, my kids went to an international school last year and loved that too.  Right now, we are in a horrendous school district, so we homeschool.  Next year, we will be in an amazing district and we'll do what?  I don't know, but I think we may try school again.  Or we may stick with homeschooling.  Huge sigh.  I don't know how to handle it.  

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#44 of 45 Old 08-01-2012, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I think it depends entirely on you and each child.  I did HS pre-K but found my DS's education was very lopsided.  He excels at science and math, but hates to write and I do not really care to make him practice.  We decided to try PS kinder and see how the fit was.  He loved it, he still hates to write, but does better at school since everyone has to do it.  We still do our own thing over holidays, breaks, and weekends.  It also allows him an environment away from his sister's needs.  I volunteer at the school a lot, so everyone there knows me and he knows I am always there.  we are keeping him there for 1st, but if it had not worked, I would be HS this year.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
#45 of 45 Old 08-07-2012, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your replies! They mean a lot!

To KDorrain, if you see this, I had a question for you. If you were high school aged, and you had the opportunity to take classes (one at a time, or however they do it) at the local community college, while still in high school, would you have liked that in place of going to public school? I know every kid is different, but I want to have my kids go to our local CC as soon as they are able so that they can get used to more structured types of classes....
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdorrain View Post

As a HS child, I agree with the posters that "what works well now might not be what you do later."  I really, really wish I had been allowed to go a high school (public or private).  Homeschool was pretty isolating, and though I did have friends and activities to some degree, I had no real idea of how to study on someone else's timeline or deal with peer and professors (observing negative behavior is not the same).  I could have benefited and gained so much confidence from the opportunities high school offers.  Your kids might not be college-bound, or maybe they won't be interested in what the high school has, but I encourage you to just take it year by year and do what works for each year, and each child.  I am not homeschooling my kids right now, (my DH is the SAHD, while I work FT), but if I were a SAHM, I might have considered it.

Proud Mama to Abigail Noelle and Brady Phoenix (August 29, 2009) and Claire Zoe (October 26, 2010)  love.gif

Tags
Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page