Opportunity to acquire science stuff for a small home lab....suggestions please?!? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-25-2012, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

A school near our home is closing and we have a chance to purchase a lot of items from a science lab for really cheap (I mean next to nothing!)  We picked up an old microscope in the spring from another school, so we've got slides, dyes and other items for it on our list, I'd take it all but would like to be fair! :)

I have an unschooled 6 year old, and a curious 9 year old nephew who comes for weekends sometimes.

Does anyone have any suggestions on some basic essentials I can put at the top of my list? Hoping to put together our own little science area and this seems like a great way to start, but I need some help! :)

#2 of 3 Old 07-25-2012, 07:22 PM

What about bunsen burners, beakers, various measuring tools, etc. for when your LO is older? An extra microscope might not be a bad idea either since it's dirt cheap.

Erin
Every hour of the light and dark is a miracle. Every cubic inch of space is a miracle. (Whitman)

Not a Mama Yet! If you're a NMY, too, come join our current thread in the Tribal area!

#3 of 3 Old 07-25-2012, 11:13 PM

I'd look for precision digital scales and triple beam balances.  Good quality ones can be expensive, and they can be used for all sorts of things with young children.

A variety of glassware, such as different sizes of flasks, beakers, and graduated cylinders, test tubes and test tube stands, could be nice to have.  Stands, clamps, and tongs to go along with them, too, and a good hotplate.  I'd only get a burner if you have the means to fuel it.

All sorts of random things, like pipettes, thermometers, magnets and iron filings, electronics sets or components, pith balls and other materials for studying charge (rods of various materials, fabric swatches), low-friction cars and ticker-timers...

I'd put the expensive items, like the scales and balances at the top of my list, and then the hard to find specialty items that could be fun to have about, like the low friction carts and pith balls, then anything else.  Before going, I'd look online for prices of labware and decide how much you want to spend now.

Have fun!

Tags
Unschooling , Learning Resources , Education , Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page