Progressive chemistry programs? What have your elementary school aged kids liked? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-28-2012, 04:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Ok, I'm after a chemistry program for my 7 and 9 year olds to use. It could be one of a couple of things:

1. a complete program with chemicals and so forth

or

2. a book / website of structured experiments to work through 

I'm after a fairly structured, progressive course but with experiments, and not dry. I just don't want to sit at a table and read about the great experiments others have done with materials we cannot legally buy :-). My kids like science and are interested in it. I have studied science and I'm happy to fill in the gaps and/or bridge the gap if the program is a little above them.

We've used kits, and done random experiments, tbh we've probably at some time done everything in all those science experiment books for kids, or at least a close variation. I'm after something that will fill in some gaps and be fun. 

My ideal  would be something like this http://www.windmillweb.co.uk/KIDSTUFF/apprentice.htm which we'll be doing again with them both from September

Thoughts? TIA x

Raising Geek_Generation_2.0 :LET ds= 10 ; LET dd1= ds - 2; LET dd2=dd-2; IF month=0.67 THEN LET ds = ds+1; 
#2 of 6 Old 07-30-2012, 11:07 PM

Have you looked at "Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding"?  It's a bit teacher-intensive for us, but sounds awesome.  There are 3 volumes that cover K-2, 3-5 and 6-8 grade.

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#3 of 6 Old 07-31-2012, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter

thanks heather. TBH we got those books a few years ago. My big gripe with them is that there seems to be no way for a kid to use them themselves. We don't really tend to homeschool that way and certainly not for science (possibly should have made this clear). But another big problem was that they just seemed to massively underestimate kids. He seemed to be trying to cover all bases, and catering to kids who were a bit behind in science, which is fine, but then he also made it hard to skip lessons. I think, in a word, it was dull. Such a shame becuase its an amazing concept!

OK but having said all of that I've just looked up his later books, and I think I might give it a go with the kindle version (much much cheaper!) for the later grades as a jumping off point, if nothing else shows up...tbh more than anything because they are cheap and on the kindle...

Raising Geek_Generation_2.0 :LET ds= 10 ; LET dd1= ds - 2; LET dd2=dd-2; IF month=0.67 THEN LET ds = ds+1; 
#4 of 6 Old 07-31-2012, 10:40 AM
AAK

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

We have loved the REAL Science Odyssey.  Here is a link to the chemistry program.  http://www.pandiapress.com/?page_id=86

They have a "try before you buy" option that is wonderful.  We used it last year for earth and space and will be using it again this year. I love that there were lots of activities/experiments and that they used lots of materials from the library.  Also (at least with the earth/space) the program made sense to me in how it progressed.  I really can't say enough about it.  It really worked for our family.  

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#5 of 6 Old 08-01-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAK View Post

We have loved the REAL Science Odyssey.  Here is a link to the chemistry program.  http://www.pandiapress.com/?page_id=86

They have a "try before you buy" option that is wonderful.  We used it last year for earth and space and will be using it again this year. I love that there were lots of activities/experiments and that they used lots of materials from the library.  Also (at least with the earth/space) the program made sense to me in how it progressed.  I really can't say enough about it.  It really worked for our family.  

Amy

We have REAL Science Odyssey Chemistry.  I didn't find it even remotely challenging for my 8yo who is admittedly a science-head.  Of course, we had "level 1"--not sure if there are higher levels for the science program like there are for the history program.

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#6 of 6 Old 08-01-2012, 04:30 PM
AAK

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherdeg View Post

We have REAL Science Odyssey Chemistry.  I didn't find it even remotely challenging for my 8yo who is admittedly a science-head.  Of course, we had "level 1"--not sure if there are higher levels for the science program like there are for the history program.

Dang, that is too bad.  There aren't any level 2 courses yet.  I haven't tried the chemistry yet, but was planning on it.  I just liked how it was laid out, used lots of living resources, and had room to dive in and go further if the child was fascinated.  At the same time, my dd (9) LOVES science and she thinks she is quite awesome at it, but she doesn't need "intensity" in a program yet.  She just needs opportunity.  She has also been loving dissection kits from Home Science Tools.  

ETA:  I guess this is where the "try before you buy" option would be good for the OP. . . she could see if it will work for her kids before investing in it.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 

Tags
Unschooling , Learning Resources , Education , Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page