Mothering Forum banner

Rosetta Stone home school curriculum?

831 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  heatherdeg 
#1 ·
I'm considering the Rosetta Stone home school curriculum for my 7 and 5yo daughters this year. Has anyone used this? Are they old enough? I can't find any information on what ages/grades this is recommended for. My girls are both beginning readers.

My 7yo is probably at a 1st grade level but has little confidence in her reading. I'm afraid to introduce a program that is reading-intensive as it may scare her off. My 5yo is a go-getter in the reading department, so for her a reading challenge would be fine.

#2 ·
We're really just starting but so far, it looks like it would be okay for a non-reader. You just wouldn't be able to do the writing part of the curriculum. The nice thing about Rosetta Stone is that you pick and choose the components you want for them. So if you ONLY wanted the conversation/verbal, you could choose that. And you can change it based on the user--so if you wanted to do some written language stuff with the 7yo next year, you could change hers and leave the little one at verbal only.

They have a curriculum called "Speaking & Listening Focus" which they describe as "an abbreviated path through the language program that focuses on the skills necessary for speaking the language". But the standard curriculum includes: speaking, reading, listening, pronunciation, writing, grammar and vocabulary activities. You could easily have them do the standard and skip the activities or specific lessons that are too intensive for them. It's not like you have to pass one to get to the other.

HTH!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.