Rural Families: What do the lives of your older homeschoolers look like? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-28-2012, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I guess mine wouldn't qualify as older yet.  But I'm sort of wondering what they will do when they are a little older.  My oldest, (8), still likes to play a lot with me and the littles, but I've been noticing that he spends much more time now doing things alone, like origami and reading. 

I'm wondering if he needs more time outside the family.  It's just such a long drive to get together with other kids, that we don't do it more than a few times each week, max.  Do your older homeschoolers hang out with friends a lot?  Have more lessons?  Do more outside activities like sports?  Online classes? How do they spend their time at home?  How much do you drive people around?

#2 of 3 Old 07-28-2012, 09:28 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 41 Post(s)

Well, my older kids all ended up going to school, starting between age 12.75 and 14.75. That probably tells you something. It was partly the desire for more social experience (there are no other teen homeschoolers in the area), partly a desire to have a place apart from home in which to learn, study, work (there's no library here). Partly a desire for more structured activities (no sports offered here 10 months of the year). None of this could really be remedied whilst homeschooling because of where we live. 

My sole remaining homeschooler is now 9.5. She does pretty well when her siblings are around, but when they're in school, it's tough for her. She often wishes for more outside activities than she has, for more social time than she gets. We do okay, but there's often not quite enough. During the academic year she has three days a week with out-of-home activities. I feel like one more opportunity each week would probably do it, but we haven't found the right opportunity: she doesn't relish even more driving and does enjoy some down time.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#3 of 3 Old 08-06-2012, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My oldest is 13 and up until a month ago we lived in the country with no other kids around. He spent a few hours on school work and then would spend time outside either fishing, riding bikes, shooting skeet, etc.

He did a lot of solitary things like reading and drawing but that fits his personality too.

To interact with others he takes karate 2-3x a week and an occasional class through our homeschool program.

He also loves Minecraft and interacts with friends on-line through that too (ones that he has met in person-not strangers).

As he gets older I can see him finding a way to hang out with peers one way or another but he really likes living in the country.

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.

Tags
Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page