Oak meadow curriculum - views? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-31-2012, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello again (from the uk)

I'm still looking into buying a Waldorf-Ish Grade 1 and just came across Oak Meadow as an alternative to Christopherus. Being in the UK it's impossible to get hold of them to look at, so I'd be glad to hear opinions.

Am I right in thinking Oak Meadow is perhaps less esoteric and a bit more "modern"? Though I'm worried some of the later grades might be very US orientated (eg history)

TIA Claire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 07-31-2012, 06:12 AM

wave.gif

We've used Oak Meadow off and on for years. I know we did 1st grade with those materials. We're working through 6th grade with my eldest currently.

As for your history issue, it depends on the year. Sixth grade, for example, is all about Ancient Civilizations. I don't remember it having any particular US focus. It starts with cavemen and moves forward. 

I do like that Oak Meadow is not about promoting any particular religion. While touring the Ancient Civilizations we are studying Judaism and Christianity and Islam and many, many others...but from a social/historical perspective. 

In other grades, maybe even 7th (can't remember...they all blend together if I do enough research) US history becomes a focus.

If you have other questions, please ask. While I am not an Oak Meadow expert, I'm happy to help where I can. We are more unschooling oriented here -- using curriculum when it suits us and never in a compulsory manner. love.gif

Maryhippie.gif

#3 of 3 Old 08-02-2012, 01:06 PM

I've only used OM prek - 1st with my own kids and 6th with my brother a few years ago. I very much enjoy it. It's structured enough to make me feel like I know what to do but waldorf enough that that i don't feel it's too much for the kids.  

Yes 6th wasn't us based at all, I think 7th is and then 8th is something about seeing how European  US history combines into modern times but Don't trust me on that... You could email and ask for samples lessons for 6th - 8th which might help or just email and ask about the US focus in later grades. I'm sure someone there would be happy to answer that question.

I'm sure those it doesn't cover any  UK/European history passed  ancient civilizations and later when it touches on WWI and WWII.

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page