Beast Academy | math materials - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 07-31-2012, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just got my first look at this for the first time yesterday while visiting with another homeschooling family.

Beast Academy

The main book for each math level (they are starting with grade 3) is workbook size, but written like a graphic novel/comic book. Very fun, colorful, inviting. The related workbook then takes the learner through activities and exercises.

These are still really new, so limited availability. But they look like a lot of fun.

I'm considering getting the 4 book set soon...waiting to see if the price comes down when Amazon starts selling them directly instead of just via a seller.

(I'm not selling these nor have any connection to the publisher nor get any benefit for promoting them either from the publisher or from Amazon. I just wanted to share a fun, new math resource.)

Maryhippie.gif

#2 of 17 Old 07-31-2012, 07:01 AM

We are also considering getting those books, but waiting until C and D come out, probably near the end of the year.  Ds is almost but not quite ready for them, so a four or five month wait is fine with us.

They are slightly less expensive if you buy directly from Art of Problem Solving, at http://www.beastacademy.com/store/buybooks.php

#3 of 17 Old 07-31-2012, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Oh, I've been interested in those for DS1!  Is it something you use as a supplement or is it used as an entire curriculum?  Right now we're using Math Mammoth and supplementing with Life of Fred because he loves them.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#4 of 17 Old 07-31-2012, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitching View Post

We are also considering getting those books, but waiting until C and D come out, probably near the end of the year.  Ds is almost but not quite ready for them, so a four or five month wait is fine with us.

They are slightly less expensive if you buy directly from Art of Problem Solving, at http://www.beastacademy.com/store/buybooks.php

Cool! That's enough of a price difference to make it worth ordering directly! Well, assuming that the savings aren't swallowed up by shipping costs. orngtongue.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by broodymama View Post

Oh, I've been interested in those for DS1!  Is it something you use as a supplement or is it used as an entire curriculum?  Right now we're using Math Mammoth and supplementing with Life of Fred because he loves them.

They seem like they could be used as a stand-alone curriculum...but I'm no expert at all. orngbiggrin.gif

Maryhippie.gif

#5 of 17 Old 07-31-2012, 10:35 AM
AAK

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

That looks great!  Thanks for sharing.

amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#6 of 17 Old 07-31-2012, 12:15 PM

Somebody give me a review on Art of Problem Solving:  Is it constructivist?  Traditional algorithms?  

#7 of 17 Old 08-01-2012, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpokey View Post

Somebody give me a review on Art of Problem Solving:  Is it constructivist?  Traditional algorithms?  

Wish I could help with that. redface.gif

You might be able to get a betters sense of that here: Art of Problem Solving

Maryhippie.gif

#8 of 17 Old 08-01-2012, 01:05 PM

I did look on the web site earlier but it did not say.

#9 of 17 Old 08-02-2012, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I did look on the web site earlier but it did not say.

ah, nuts!

guess I'll just go: knit.gif

Maryhippie.gif

#10 of 17 Old 08-02-2012, 01:17 PM
AAK

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:

Rainbow Resource has a great explanation of the Art of Problem Solving books:  http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/sku/050262/e44ea274f78fe6b9d9cbc5b9

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#11 of 17 Old 08-03-2012, 04:51 AM

Thanks, that was helpful.  I also showed my son the 3A placement test and he was not interested in the challenge level, though frankly he's not interested in any school work right at the moment :)

#12 of 17 Old 08-04-2012, 07:26 PM

We're using Beast Academy this year as a supplement to MUS.  Ds is starting the MUS Delta level but since MUS is mastery there are many concepts he hasn't been introduced to yet so we're starting with 3A on Beast Academy. 

When I got it in the mail ds did not want to even look at it (nor does he want to look at any school stuff right now) so I paged through it then put it on the bookshelf.  Later that evening I practically tripped over ds who was sprawled in front of the bookshelf reading the Beast Academy guide book (the comic book style portion of it that teaches them the concepts).  He sat there and read the entire thing!  So while we haven't started it yet I can only assume it's going to be a hit over here.

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
#13 of 17 Old 08-05-2012, 03:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelsi View Post

Later that evening I practically tripped over ds who was sprawled in front of the bookshelf reading the Beast Academy guide book (the comic book style portion of it that teaches them the concepts).  He sat there and read the entire thing!  So while we haven't started it yet I can only assume it's going to be a hit over here.

Awesome! I love it when that happens. love.gif

Maryhippie.gif

#14 of 17 Old 08-07-2012, 03:54 PM

Those are GREAT...wow.  Thanks for posting!  And FYI, it does say that it is a comprehensive curriculum on the 'about us' page of the website. 

~ Meredith, mom to dd(Jan '02), ds1(May '04) and ds2 (June '07) ~ :
#15 of 17 Old 08-08-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mere View Post

Those are GREAT...wow.  Thanks for posting!  And FYI, it does say that it is a comprehensive curriculum on the 'about us' page of the website. 

True but they don't have many levels out yet.  It possible your child would go faster than they can release them so that's something to be careful of.

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
#16 of 17 Old 08-23-2012, 11:07 PM

We have levels A and B right now.  I love this curriculum!  Even though my youngest is in 4th grade, I opted to get the books anyway as a supplement.  We use Horizons, Singapore and some Life of Fred.  Even with exposure to all of these, Beast Academy still asks questions in a way that makes my son think.  They just present a different angle to the same subjects.  They ask questions in a way that he's just not "regurgitating" information.  They make him think and actually "own" what he's reading/learning.  I feel their approach ensures he has a firm grasp on the concept in order to answer some of their questions.  Initially, I just bought the textbooks and not the workbooks, but my son begged me to get them.

#17 of 17 Old 08-24-2012, 07:21 AM

They've just released 3C - it includes variables, division, and measurement.  3D is still expected by the end of the year.

Tags
Unschooling , Learning Resources , Education , Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page