Teaching Textbooks Math w/o CD - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-31-2012, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Has anyone used Teaching textbooks math without the accompanying CDs? how did it work out?

Nicki wife to Rich, Mama to 7 y/o DS, and a beautiful Princess Aug 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 07-31-2012, 11:08 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 95 Post(s)

Yes. My kids preferred not to use the CD. I was surprised, because they loved using the computer and I thought getting their academics via the computer might appeal to them. But I guess it was a little bit like hiding spinach in their smoothies. They preferred to just eat their spinach as spinach, and not have it sneaked into another food that was considered a treat. From my perspective, the beauty of the program was in the electronic presentation format. But they didn't see it that way.

So they used the program without the CDs. And I guess it worked. My two eldest did parts of Algebra I and Algebra II. They were able to understand it and to progress through it.

But we really didn't like the program. Not because it was incomplete without the CDs. Just because it was too spirally, formulaic, slow-paced and repetitious for them. It seemed mostly about training students to do well on standardized tests, rather than building mathematical competence and higher reasoning. At least at the high school level. My kids find math pretty easy and do well at it, so they didn't need all the repetition and the tiny steps reinforced multiple times. One of my kids eventually finished one year. The other gave up and moved to something more challenging mid-way.

But all kids are different. It probably works very well for some learners.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#3 of 4 Old 07-31-2012, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Can I ask what your kids did end up liking?

This is our first year, my son is coming from 3rd grade, entering 4th.  I did a placement test and he tested into 4th so that's good I guess at least he wasn't "behind" given that he was coming from a failing school.

I only spent 20 on the textbook / answer key.  So if it doesn't work out I am not out a ton.... unless I splurge on the CDs.  My only concern about not having the CDs is learning the new concepts.  My son is on the autism spectrum, and isn't always... whats a good work... cooperative.  And I wonder if he would do better with the lessons instead of me trying to show him....

Nicki wife to Rich, Mama to 7 y/o DS, and a beautiful Princess Aug 2010
#4 of 4 Old 07-31-2012, 12:06 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 95 Post(s)

In the early years we used Singapore Primary. They all loved it. It's fast-paced, conceptual, unintimidating and challenging. But maybe because of that it would require more oversight and teaching from you, which might not be such a great thing given the dynamics between you and your ds.

In the high school years, which was where we tried Life of Fred, we really struggled to find something we liked. But I think that's because of two issues. First, my kids were at an 8th or 9th grade level at age 9 or 10, but at that age they weren't ready for the more college-like format of programs that were interesting and challenging. Second, we live in Canada, where math at the high school level isn't separated out into sub-subjects, and I much prefer that. I wanted them to be learning probability, statistics, trig, geometry and algebra all the way through, not waiting until they'd been through a year or two of an algebra mono-diet to get to the other stuff. And there weren't very many curriculums set up to allow that.

We eventually ended up with a combination of Singapore New Math Counts and a Canadian school textbook (Mathpower) for my middle kids, and I think with my youngest this fall we'll be trying Singapore's New Syllabus Math.

An on-line supplement which might help if your ds responds better to teaching from someone else might be www.khanacademy.org. It's remarkably good, particularly for middle school and beyond, but there's a bit there at earlier levels. It might be a useful thing to have in your back pocket if he gets bogged down somewhere and isn't keen on getting help from you.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

Tags
Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page