Kindy 2012-2013 Thread? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 53 Old 08-17-2012, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, I think I've come up with kind of a crazy plan for kindy. I want a pretty relaxed kindy year, but LMK if you guys think this isn't enough:

I'm not going to touch reading formally this year. She can read very well by herself, so I'm just going to leave it alone due to price and time.

Writing: I'm just going to focus on the handwriting aspect. Right now, we are working on fixing her pencil grip. We are moving in September, so I plan to wait to start this until October. We'll do the kindy level of it.

Math: We are going to wait until January to give her handwriting a chance to catch up to her math abilities, to give her something new to be excited about half way through our homeschooling year, to help us ease into homeschooling, and to give us time to enjoy all the holidays (Halloween, Christmas, Hanukkah, Winter Solstice, etc...) that we love. I'm thinking Math-U-See Gamma, but we'll see where she is in Nov/Dec.

We're going to wrap up our school year when the new baby is born, regardless if we've finished the whole of our curriculum or not. I'm hoping to finish the handwriting program, since it will be the only work we'll be doing all fall, but I'm expecting the math curriculum to carry over into 1st grade for us (where hopefully we'll cover more subjects).

So now that I have a plan...where are your favorite places to get used curriculum? I'm hoping with a late start to the school year (and especially buying in the middle of a school year for the math curriculum) to get a good a good deal from someone who realized that this curriculum was not working for their family.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#32 of 53 Old 08-19-2012, 05:09 PM

Hi ladies is it okay if I join?  After a lot of consideration we have decided to officially do kindy this year even though Dd is only 4 1/2, we had planned to do another year of Pre-k and just learning through play but she keeps asking for more 'real schoolwork' so we are going to jump right in.  Our first day is going to be either tomorrow or next Monday (I should really decide on that shouldn't I?).

-Meagan

A Christian, crunchy, homeschooling southern wife to D and mama to A (5) who loves ( treehugger.gif, knit.gif,teapot2.GIF, and reading.gif)

#33 of 53 Old 08-20-2012, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

About four year olds: I don't know. I think what homeschooling kindy means is different depending on the family. I think of homeschooling kindy as homeschooling a 5-6 year old, since that's the age that kids attend kindy in my area. I definitely feel different not sending my five year old to school than I do my four year old, since it's much more rare for people not to send a five year old to school. I don't know how to officially start kindy early, but then again, I live in a state with very little regulations: I don't have to register my kid as a homeschooler, so she's not officially anything. But I know some parents see kindy as defined by starting a curriculum for a kindy aged student, and if that's what they consider kindy, to each their own. A big part of why I homeschool is because I have a very asynchronous kid, and to really be learning, it requires to teach her at different grade levels depending on what skill it is, and I wouldn't know what to call her if I had to do it based on the grade level of the work she does.

Anyway, welcome!

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#34 of 53 Old 08-20-2012, 01:21 PM

Well our first day is over and it was a success!  It only took us about an hour to go through all the curriculum stuff for the day, which I think was perfect timing.  Of course the 'learning' for the day isn't over, I am making cookies for a meeting later and she is going to practice her measuring skills by helping me but the book stuff is over for the day.  It went surprisingly well too, usually her attention kind of lapses every once in awhile during lessons (which is fine since it is completely normal for her age) but she was so excited about it today that she stayed on task the entire time.  I am not expecting such a perfect day every day but it sure was a great start to the year!

-Meagan

A Christian, crunchy, homeschooling southern wife to D and mama to A (5) who loves ( treehugger.gif, knit.gif,teapot2.GIF, and reading.gif)

#35 of 53 Old 08-21-2012, 02:56 PM

We will be homeschooling for the first time for Kindy '12-'13!  My DD will be 6 in November and is so excited to begin. DS is 4.5 and will be unofficially doing pre-K.

DH is being cheap about buying a whole curriculum so I'm piecing something together. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't overwhelmed!! 

I love the idea of being relaxed but my state (Maryland) does have portfolio reviews so I need to have things to show.

English/Reading: I've purchased the collections of BOB Books. I am also considering How To Teach Your Child To Read In 100 Easy Lessons.

Math: Math U See Primer w/manipulatives

The other subjects that are required are: Science, Social Studies, Art, Music, Health, and P.E.  

I think we will tackle these as Unit Studies and use a combination of the library, ideas on pinterest, and homeschooling blogs.

Any suggestions for the the above subjects would be greatly appreciated!

#36 of 53 Old 08-21-2012, 05:27 PM

danaf617- That's kind of my idea too.  We have curriculum for the core work (reading, writing, math) but are using units and projects for the others.  Oh and I count her gymnastics classes as PE lol.

-Meagan

#37 of 53 Old 09-11-2012, 08:00 AM

Okay I wanted to give this thread a little bump.

I have to say we have officially not changed anything about what we are doing now that it is September and ds is 5.  I did get anxiety watching all of his friends and my friends' kids first day of Kindergarten pictures on Facebook and I started to feel guilty that he wasn't getting to do the same thing.  But I think I'm over it (I hope).

My big goals for K for ds are not academic.  I want him to be able to ride a 2 wheeler and to be able to swim.  He got a 2wheeler with no training wheels for his 5th birthday at the beginning of August.  Got right on it and rode it down the block!  So done!  Well, he's still freaked out about going down hill (I guess it seems faster than his balance bike) but we took the pedal bike camping and he rode it around so I think we just need to practice to get him more comfortable.

Swimming, I am still trying to find lessons that fit into our schedule.  

#38 of 53 Old 09-11-2012, 10:21 AM

Learning to swim is one of our big goals for the year too.  Unfortunately the only place I found that offers swimming lessons before age 5 cancelled their September session, so it looks like we will be waiting for spring to get on that goal.

We are in the midst of week 3 of schooling here and so far so good.  We have ditched 100ez as of now because once I showed her one HOP dvd she was hooked.  It really tailors to her style of learning and she is getting something from it so I am okay with that.  I admit that it was hard though because I really like 100ez and I had to come to a realization that the beauty of homeschooling isn't about what I like, it's that she gets to learn in a way that she likes.

-Meagan

#39 of 53 Old 09-11-2012, 04:10 PM

We are tackling learning to swim this summer.. I need to figure out how to juggle all 4 kids and swim lessons since every place here requires a parent in the water with the child. Hopefully DH is home this summer so our oldest at least can take classes. I COULD teach her (Im a trained lifeguard) but it would be harder when we would have to use a public pool and they are usually crowded over here..

Public school started 2 weeks ago and its actually a little odd to have DD1 home with me.. Not that she has ever been sent to school but shes big for her age and obviously school age so I get a lot of odd looks when we are out and about during "school hours"..

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#40 of 53 Old 09-18-2012, 05:41 AM

We are also working on learning to swim this year. We just moved to a place where a lot of people have backyard pools, so it becomes all the more important because of that. At first, I thought I would try to teach them on my own, but it becomes so difficult when I have to supervise two in the water at the same time, so we ended up signing both boys (5 and 3) up for swimming lessons. Their current instructor is really knowledgable, and the great thing about the place where they take lessons is that they also get free admission during the rest of the week. 

DS (5) also started basketball last Saturday. It is a community sports program with only a 5 week initial commitment, so we thought we'd give it a try. DS loved it, though DH (who took him to practice) chuckled at his dribbling attempts (read: sending the ball flying across the court). As soon as we buy a ball, I think the two of them will be doing some practice in our back yard. ROTFLMAO.gif  

School is going well. I am also one of those with some "mommy guilt" about not having first day of kindergarten memories, photos, etc. It's seen as such a milestone in our society. That said, our kids will have lots of other happy memories that other kids do not have. They will just be different.

#41 of 53 Old 09-19-2012, 09:34 AM

So how is everyone's year going so far?  We are starting to settle into a rhythm and I am thankful for it.  Dd is loving learning to read and do math.  The only thing I wish is that there were more little kids around so that she would have a playmate when we go to the park most mornings.

-Meagan

#42 of 53 Old 09-19-2012, 11:03 AM

We are taking this week off.. DD1 needed to get glasses (I went to the eye doctor for her as a hunch since she was struggling) and I didn't feel right about having her do bookwork and thus straining her eyes more. 2 more weeks then we are taking 15 days off for the baby (Im due first week of October).. DD1 is enjoying herself though, its fun to watch her learn new things orngbiggrin.gif

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#43 of 53 Old 09-26-2012, 09:54 AM

Hi ladies how is everyone doing?  Has your year gotten off to a good start?

Our year is going great so far!  We already dropped one reading program (100ez) in favor of HOP.  I had let her watch HOP for fun one day and she fell in love and refused to do 100ez anymore.  It was a struggle for me, since it was my first time having to give up a curriculum that I loved for one that she loved.  But one of the best things about hs'ing is that it's about how she learns, not how I want her to learn, so we went ahead and made the switch.  She is doing great with HOP by the way.

Today is our first field trip of the year (as well as our first home schooling field trip ever) we are going to the fire department with some other home schoolers from the area :)

-Meagan

#44 of 53 Old 09-28-2012, 11:22 AM

So after a good start we have really fallen off the train. We haven't done much all week, Im just so tired and I feel horrible.

#45 of 53 Old 09-29-2012, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Hi!  We are doing pretty well...it has been interesting to see what works and what doesn't, what we have time for and what has fallen by the wayside! I am definitely not getting in as much as I had planned, but I am okay with that and I feel like we will probably pick up a little bit as we wort out what is working.  My toddler has also decided now is a great time to drop the nap half the time, so that is probably not helping :)

OkiMom, we barely did anything this week too.  It was just an off week, we were busy, I was exhausted, everyone was crabby..so we just let go of the plan.  Next week will be better...maybe! :) hah! 

Single mama namaste.gif to dd dust.gifand ds fencing.gif, loving my dsd always reading.gif .
#46 of 53 Old 10-09-2012, 12:06 AM

Hi all!  We are homeschooling for the first time this year, our two sons, who are turning 8 and 6 this month.  Both attended public school last year, 2nd and K, respectively.  They both started K young, however.  The soon to be 6 year old was recommended to repeat K at the end of last year.  We had a really good public school, with a really strong art and music program especially.  However I felt that K did not give them a good start with the basics.  The class jumped right into letter sounds, phonics, beginning reading, and as a result my completely normal, bright child still didn't know the whole alphabet by the end of the year (but did know all the letter sounds).  I was so frustrated.  I felt like repeating K would only be a disservice, because they still wouldn't teach the basics from the beginning like he needed.  I guess the other kids already knew the alphabet going into K?  We are in CA.  

I almost felt like our only option was to homeschool, him anyway, to teach the things he is just beginning to grasp now, before moving on.  Then we ended up moving away, out of the district, pretty far.  Homeschooling felt like the right choice.  In part, because they were both young, starting K at 4, turning five in Oct.  This way we can get them caught up on K and 2nd grade skills and feeling confident (and not comparing to other kids in class).  And we'll just go at their individual pace and see how far we get this year.  

Its been just over a month now, and I'm LOVING it so far.  When they were in public school I was just much less aware of where they were, skill wise.  Now I'm finding out exactly what skills they are competent in, what they are just developing and I can design a curriculum to meet them right where they are at.  Also, I can now see all these other opportunities for learning and developing the skills they are working on now in our day to day lives.  Now I can make the most of all these spontaneous opportunities to help them learn and grow that I wasn't even aware of before.  I was just too busy or distracted.  Now this is my job, so I'm giving it my full attention and it is so rewarding!  

Beautiful Day in Paradise  @BeautifulDayMom  facebook.com/beautifuldaymama

#47 of 53 Old 10-17-2012, 10:21 AM

Welcome SuperMama, I'm glad y'all are liking homeschooling so far!

I feel so bad today, Dd had a field trip to the nature center scheduled but I have been battling a cold.  I had thought I was getting better but last night I kept waking up with night sweats and coughing fits.  I think what I need is just a day to rest at home since we have been going and going all week.  Hopefully some rest and a lot of hot tea and broth can help me kick this.  I am still going to do something extra with Dd today too, she took the news of not going on the field trip so well.

-Meagan

#48 of 53 Old 10-21-2012, 06:23 AM

Hi all! I'm happy to have this thread to check in on so I thought I should finally join it smile.gif We had a very soft start to K due to the fact that we had a 3 month long moving process between the end of summer and right now. There was so much transition going on that I didn't want to throw on the added pressure of "starting Kindergarten"!

Our first piece of curriculum came up unexpectedly, when I realized we both needed to learn how to talk about what we were doing. Dd was looking shy and not talking whenever someone would ask her if she was going to go to Kindergarten. I told her she could say, "Yes, I'm doing Homeschool" and the next time it happened she did! Then I had an experience were someone assumed that I would have chosen one of the computer based statewide charter schools for doing HS. Still not entirely sure how I would explain my approach, basically Eclectic but that won't mean much to the average person. My overriding philosophy so far, which has helped me reign in my natural tendencies to over think things, is that I can't mess up Kindergarten!

Dd is 5.5 and, I'm sure many families feel this same way, for all intensive purposes we've been homeschooling for years already. She is learning to read and write just fine without any specific curriculum pieces other than my desire to help her with these things. I decided to use Oak Meadow K for starters and we just got the last of the materials on Friday. Dd was very excited and wanted to start HS right away! We talked about how we've actually been doing lots of homeschool already, and could she think of what activities we do that are learning activities? We got a good list going and then did do an activity from the OM curriculum smile.gif

So, this was a long into into the fact that next week will be our official start with the OM K curriculum. We will also continue doing what we already do which is Pre-ballet, art class, story time at the library, reading with Sunshine books and BOB books, and lots of creative play. What we really need to do pronto is meet some friends in our new hometown, Toledo, OH!
#49 of 53 Old 10-22-2012, 05:48 PM

We are sort of doing our own version of unschooling for K this year : ) 

(I kind of posted about this in the unschooling forum but I'll do it here a little more in depth) 

I basically start each week with a list of things I want to do. Crafts, stories, seasonal work, educational stuff and activities we do outside of the home (we spend a lot of time at home!) DD does horseback riding, is in Cloverbuds for 4-H, and we try to have one playdate per week. We don't really use a set curriculum but I do piece together from Little Acorn Learning, Pinterest, and all of my Waldorf and nature books. This weeks theme is going to be "SPOOKY" and we will be doing loads of Halloween crafts and preparing for our Halloween party -- we are also going to the museum for their spooky going-ons, and I'm planning on taking kids to a pumpkin patch so we can paint and carve Jack-o-lanterns. I'm really flexible with what we do..originally this week we were going to do space + cycles of the moon, but it's so close to Halloween I want to crank out more crafts and so does DD. 

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#50 of 53 Old 10-25-2012, 11:22 AM

We are in kindy mode, mixed with some Pre-K.

DS knows his alphabet and is starting to pick up sight words.  He can write the letters in uppercase.  He is 5.5.  He has a set of bananagrams that we make short words out of and sometimes we will have a game of putting together three or four letter words and he reads them.  He's not on non-phonetic sight words yet.  I'm not concerned.  DD is 4.5 and recognizes the letters of the alphabet and can spell her name - but not write it especially well.  She is awesome at coloring though; I assume it will come with time.

Math, uh... well, we do a lot of measuring and stuff like that while cooking and buying groceries.  DH taught DS skip counting.  He can also start adding and stuff if it's simple.  He can count to about 100.  We don't do worksheets or anything though.  Manipulatives, yes, but they just basically play with them.  (Like pattern blocks and puzzles.)  No real formal lessons there.

We get books out of the library every day almost so we always have a rotating supply.  (I write for several hours there in the afternoons and bring home the books myself.)  We also do storytime at the library.

We take field trips, one or two a month...

Um, what else.  Well, we do a sort of unschooly thing in that we have no set curriculum books but I do choose a topic for a while.  Right now it's continents.  Last month it was the woodlands and apples.  So I print various things offline, coloring pages, activities, songs... I check some age-appropriate books out of the library... we watch some youtube videos and do some art projects with the theme in mind.

We also read a lot of fairy tales, do cooking, art stuff.  And if anything comes up we will talk about it at random.  We're also checking out random interesting reference books from the library.  This week some of them were animal homes, professions, and Vikings.

#51 of 53 Old 10-26-2012, 10:17 AM

Thanks John.  You could say we are in homeschool honeymoon phase right now.  

Update: We have enrolled the boys in a local homeschool/charter school.  They will have weekly meetings with a certified teacher who keeps track of their progress.  It has added all sorts of paperwork on my end, which has its pros and cons.  On one hand, its more work for me; on the other hand, it encourages me to do specific activities regularly for each subject, including PE, so I have something to record.  The great benefit is that each child receives a stipend through the school which we choose how to spend on curriculum, supplies, on-site classes, and even extra-curricular classes in the community.  

Since we are beginning mid-semester, we haven't enrolled them in any of the onsite classes.  Some were full and some didn't fit our schedule, so we are waiting until January when the new semester starts.  DS, 8, wants to take their guitar class, if they are offering it again.  And DS, 6, really just wants to be in some class with other children.  So, we're all looking forward to that opportunity.  

We are still not using a specific curriculum, just putting together things that interest them in different subjects and enjoying the freedom of that.  I like what I've seen of Oak Meadow, but I just want to draw inspiration from it and not purchase a whole curriculum.  

DS, 6, just finished the lower case alphabet which we did at the rate of one letter per day and about 4 per week.  He is still just beginning to understand how to put the letter sounds together to create a word.  He is very proud to be able to write three words which he learned in this order: his own name, Poo, and Hi.  

DS, 8, was taught to write freely using phonetic spelling in PS, so I'm trying ways of gently teaching proper spelling without making it a drag and without stifling his creativity.  

And, I'm getting better at doing almost daily walks, hikes, bike rides, or scooter rides, and trips to the park for exercise, which really helps the mood overall.  For all of us!!

Beautiful Day in Paradise  @BeautifulDayMom  facebook.com/beautifuldaymama

#52 of 53 Old 10-29-2012, 12:37 PM

Wow it's the end of October already, where did it go?  Homeschooling is going pretty good over here, Dd is on the last lesson of HOP Kindergarten Level 1 and we plan to start level 2 later this week.  I have been having her review the words she already knows and we will do a review over all the words in level 1 later this week (before we start level 2).  Math and writing are going good too, we are using manipulatives and she is starting to understand adding and can count to 60 by ones and 10's.  The only subject I feel I am lacking on is science, which makes me feel bad because it is one subject she seems to crave.  She loves all things science.  I am planning a science day in December though with our homeschool group with 3 or 4 science experiments set up for the elementary age kids, since it seems like I am not the only one who is slacking on the subject!

-Meagan

#53 of 53 Old 10-29-2012, 01:50 PM

Well we are in the middle of a hurricane!  So far ds has learned to French Knit on a Knitting Nancy.  Made dryer balls.  Helped mix concrete to try and fix the french drain in our basement.  He learned to play Uno and later we will learn to play Blink.  He has done a whole lot of cooking and right now is helping dp put together a drill press.  We are pretty much just waiting for the power to go out.  

We unschool so we aren't doing anything really formal.  Ds does play dreambox learning (which he asked to play a lot yesterday because we still had power) and according to it he is on a 2nd grade level in math.  I actually think he would be a little higher if they let him do fractions. The kid is nuts for fractions.  We are still mostly just reading to him what he wants to read and occasionally playing with words.  He surprised me the other day with all the sight words he knows already so I guess we are alright there for now.

Tags
Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page