Play / Study group for math and reading - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-06-2012, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a soon to be first and third grader that go to public school but I'm trying to start a study club, with an empasis on math, for my two girls and their two friends (sisters that will also be in the first and second grade).

I am hoping to involve two or three other girls, in grades 1 - 3 and at least one 9 year old (entering 4th grade?).

I have saved a room at the local library for tomorrow night for our first meeting and I have some math related board games for up to 4 kids (Pizza Math and Mummy Math).

I’m willing to invest in a second box of Pizza Math or Mummy Math (for an additional four players) but I wonder how complicated that would be.

I’d appreciate any suggestions on fun and engaging (but not too easy) games using items that are readily available (a basic set of flash cards, dice, etc.)

I anticipate starting with addition to get back in the groove and working our way up to subtraction.

TIA

~Cath

#2 of 4 Old 08-06-2012, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

With regular cards (minus face cards) my kids like "go to the dump" which is played with cards 1-9 or ace-9 and rather than matching like Go Fish you match things that add up to 10 (1+9, 2+8, 3+7, etc) to put your sets down. Addition war is good too, like regular War but each puts 2 cards down and says the addition problem they make, whoever's adds up to the most keeps all of them.

I'd love some ideas too because I want to do more games and less work with my 1st grader this year.

#3 of 4 Old 08-07-2012, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas. 

I don't like math and I don't like cards so it's been a bit of a challenge to come up with anything.

If anybody else thinks of anything please let me know.

~Cath

#4 of 4 Old 08-12-2012, 04:41 PM

There's an inexpensive card game - 7 ate 9 - which I have been eyeing on amazon.  It's addition and subtraction together.

Tags
Learning Resources

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page