Ways to continue schooling my preschooler in the summer time? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-15-2012, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a very active 3 year old who takes her summer to focus on play time but I'm worried she has gone through the entire summer without getting any sort of education time in. Does anyone have any suggestions for fun learning exercises that are fun and will keep her stimulated but teach her something at the same time?

#2 of 6 Old 08-15-2012, 01:05 PM

Hmmm well I also have a preschooler and we play with our spelling blocks from time to time to try and practice the alphabet and try to work on spelling out words that we know. The summer is hard for us too. 

#3 of 6 Old 08-15-2012, 01:17 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 64 Post(s)

She's three. Playtime is education time. Seriously. It's deeply and richly educational: thinking up stories, role-playing, stacking, building, messing, tidying, balancing, talking, asking questions, creating, experimenting. Nurture the natural play that she's engaged in and she'll learn a ton, forming her mind into a brilliant thinking machine that will snap up academics when she's ready.

Miranda

alegna likes this.

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#4 of 6 Old 08-15-2012, 01:30 PM

That is very true moominmamma! Play time is a very useful time for such young ones but I also like to watch education YouTube videos with my 3 year old. I found this amazing online preschool called CHALK Preschool that posts youtube videos teaching the days of the week through song and colorful pictures. I tried that for a bit with my 3 year old and she couldn't stop singing along. It actually really worked! Here's the link if you want to check it out! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=net9Wq142rA 

#5 of 6 Old 08-15-2012, 05:33 PM

have you seen  http://www.littleacornlearning.com  ? BEST preschool program i've ever seen.

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#6 of 6 Old 08-15-2012, 06:36 PM

Play, exploration, and interaction with you are so much more beneficial intellectually than anything formally educational. I don't think a program will hurt either but don't feel like it's bad not to do anything but play. There is actually a lot of information out there on the benefits of delayed academics.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Tags
Education

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page