Homeschooling Beginner (UK) help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-17-2012, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hiya All,

I've wanted to homeschool my son for a while now and I'd like to educate myself as much as I can so when he is ready I can get the ball rolling!

What I'm currently having trouble with is finding a curriculum... I love Montessori inspired activities, and feel very drawn to that.

I'm just very nervous as I'm a single parent, don't know any one who home schools, and went to public school myself so I'm very new to the scene.

My son will be 5 in a few months and I'd just like some advice on choosing a curriculum really... I'd prefer a more structured style of homeschooling... I'm just slightly confused and a little overwhelmed on what to do and what to choose. I'm just worried I may not teach him to a standard he deserves greensad.gif

I just know I DEFINITELY want to home educate and will invest all my time into doing so smile.gif

Thankyou.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2012, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know you said you feel more comfortable using a curriculum, but as an unschooler I can't help with that. However, I have some general advise. Read to your child, various books and make the performances enjoyable to establish a love of books and the mysteries they hold. Get creative with art, and get to know the artist in you. Listen to your child, so he will speak his mind always. Question and learn yourself, to model how to be a student. Make it a point to do something active everyday, even if it's just a walk around the block. Learning and movement go hand in hand,; sometimes sitting still prevents information from getting absorbed.

Tags
Homeschooling
User Tag List