How much socialization do your kids get? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 12-29-2012, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If I could go back to the days of having an easier schedule, I would in a heartbeat!  For some reason we have our kids OVER scheduled.  duck.gif

My 10 y/o is in Geo Bee group (geography) every Monday, First Lego League every Sunday, Girl Scouts and dance 5+ days a week.  She is in her first year of competitive dance and has worked really hard to get there.  I can't pull her out now because I am driving to the studio every day. 

My 6 year old has gymnastics on Monday for an hour and a half and dance on Wednesday for 2 hours.

My 4 year old has gymnastics on Monday for an hour and dance on Wednesday mornings for 1.5 hours.

When I look at our family calendar, it feels manageable.  But I am exhausted. 

Our whole family is just crazy since my husband works nights (full time) works a lot of OT and goes to school (full time)

The kids have 12/17 - 12/6 off from EVERYTHING and we have not gone anywhere.  I am simply trying to get my house in order.  Filing papers, organizing bedrooms, purging crap.

Sorry this is so long. blahblah.gif In a nutshell, enjoy your time with your kiddos.

Mama to 3 amazing girls
#32 of 38 Old 12-30-2012, 10:14 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaye View Post

The thing is, while I was not homeschooled myself, my summer and winter breaks were spent with sparse contact with other kids.  I remember feeling lonely from a young age and could not wait for school to open back up so that I could be with my friends.  I really don't want to leave my kids wanting in this way.  

That's a different situation, though. As a school-child, you were used to learning at school, to having your days highly structured, and were probably much more peer-oriented than a typical homeschooled child. When there's a dramatic change in one's daily structure and social environment, there's always an adjustment period. I remember having trouble for the first half of summer holidays each year myself, and then I'd hit my stride with projects, reading, exploring and self-directed learning. I was fortunate that I lived in an educationally-rich home environment, and my parents did act very much like unschooling parents during the summers, noticing and responding to my interests, facilitating experiences if I wanted help, giving me the freedom to pursue things in more depth on my own if I didn't. Without less of that, it might have taken me longer to "deschool" each summer.

Homeschooled kids grow up with different boredom-management and self-direction skill-sets, as well as different social expectations. Their "normal" may be quite different than what school-kids expect, but because it's what they're used to, they can be very happy with it. Each child is different, of course, but I think this is true in a general way.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#33 of 38 Old 12-30-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlygirls View Post

When I look at our family calendar, it feels manageable.  But I am exhausted. 

I'm a little worried after reading this. I'm not sure January-February looks manageable, even on paper. I definitely over scheduled for two months.

Mondays: Gymnastics for an hour and a half, and it's about an hour's drive from here. This is dd1 and ds2.

Tuesdays: Piano for half an hour (dd1), followed by a 30 minute swimming lesson (ds2). I have choir rehearsals on Tuesday night, starting an hour and a half after swimming.

Wednedsay: DD1 and ds2 are taking a four hour afternoon class. It's designed for homeschoolers - they'll be creating a pretend city and learning about the ecomonics and logistics involved in running a city. This is our first class with the woman who developed it, but I've heard raves about her from within the homeschooling community. Then, they both have Tae Kwon Do at 6:00.

Thursday: DD1 has a 40 minute skating lesson at 4:00, followed by ds2's swimming lesson at 5:00 (the two facilities are right across a parking lot from each other).

Friday: Every other week, we'll attend our homelearning group - about 12 families - where we socialize and hold workshops. On alternating Fridays, both kids will be attending chess club at 12:00, followed by art classes at 1:30 (same venue!).

Saturday: DD1 has ballet at 2:30.

I'm tired just looking at it. I'm also going to have to do some really serious meal planning and organizing, as many of these activities overlap with either meal prep time, or our usual dinner time. (We eat after Tae Kwon Do on Wednesdays, though - it's a pretty physically intense program, and they don't need full stomachs.)

I didn't really mean to book us in to so much, but the homelearning meetup, ballet, piano, Tae Kwon Do, chess club and art classes are all ongoing throughout the year. We've dropped circus, which they took for seven weeks (end of October until December), but added the city/economics class, gymnastics, swimming and skating. I may make a giant pot of soup every Sunday, and we can eat it all week. shy.gif

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#34 of 38 Old 12-30-2012, 03:03 PM

StormBride, My head is spinning just reading that but maybe that's because my kids are still so little.  We had 3 things each week this fall and I knew a 4th would be too much.  I imagine it's much different when they are older though. 

Anyhow, I wanted to suggest some freezer crockpot meals for you.  I have found them to be a lifesaver for those busy seasons.  All the prep is done ahead and kept in a bag in the freezer and then just tossed in the crockpot!

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

#35 of 38 Old 12-30-2012, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moominmamma View Post

Homeschooled kids grow up with different boredom-management and self-direction skill-sets, as well as different social expectations. Their "normal" may be quite different than what school-kids expect, but because it's what they're used to, they can be very happy with it. Each child is different, of course, but I think this is true in a general way.

Miranda

This seems to be true.  Both my kids don't miss their friends when they are not here.  They are busy with their own stuff and are immensely enjoying themselves.  I have been impressed by how well they are managing their days without too many complaints about being bored.  Hopefully this continues to be the case.  

#36 of 38 Old 12-31-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBabyMaker View Post

StormBride, My head is spinning just reading that but maybe that's because my kids are still so little.  We had 3 things each week this fall and I knew a 4th would be too much.  I imagine it's much different when they are older though. 

Anyhow, I wanted to suggest some freezer crockpot meals for you.  I have found them to be a lifesaver for those busy seasons.  All the prep is done ahead and kept in a bag in the freezer and then just tossed in the crockpot!

I may try that. We definitely need to find some organized approach to meals for the next few months.

I don't usually book so much. This was just one of those things...dd1 has been wanting to do gymnastics for ages, and the local programs are too expensive, but this one (on the other side of the city) came along, and is really cheap, even with the extra driving. The same thing applies with the course on Wednesdays - I've been wanting to do it for a while, but the only location was way too far away, and this year, she's offering classes close by, so I jumped on it. One thing just kind of piled onto another. I think I'm going to be encouraging some in-car reading!

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#37 of 38 Old 01-01-2013, 12:15 PM

I have no idea if what we're doing is "right", but it's what works right now, for us.

Several times a year, but not all the time, the boys (now second graders) have art classes, swim classes.  Once a month they have a homeschool discovery group that is put on by the library.  Once a week they attend sunday school.  There is often another class once a month at the library, and I try to get them into it. Summer time is summer classes at the library, as well as VBS.

That's it. We aren't currently doing any sports other than swimming.  One boy is starting to get interested in soccer, and little sister wants dance classes.  Haven't started those yet.

In our community, there's a kids drama group that puts on a few plays each year. They are for kids 3rd grade - 8th grade.  Many of the participants are homeschoolers.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#38 of 38 Old 01-02-2013, 09:28 PM

Socialization doesn't mean you only socialize with people your age, including our children. :)

With that, do you go out places like the store? library? doctor? restaurants? visit family? All of those are considered social time. Your children are talking to people during those times. Don't put so much thought in to it. They are actually much better off "socializing" with "people" of various ages.

Single (divorced), self-employed working, college student MOM to:

17 yr old

11 yr old 

4 yr old

Tags
Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page