K12 Math Alternative - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-28-2012, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I really want to make our virtual k12 school work for us. We have been in for 2.5 years.  My son is in 4th grade, and math is just not working out.  He is at it for hours and hours a day.  He hates it, we are both at our wits end.  I want to stick with k12 for the literature, science and history.  I am thinking of just clicking off the math lessons and finding a different curriculum for math.  Anybody done this?  Does it work?  I know if I asked to do it, they would not allow it and probably give us extra work instead.  That is the last thing we need!  Any suggestions?

#2 of 5 Old 08-28-2012, 07:37 PM

Our K12 program has a part-time option. Can you switch to part-time K12, and homeschool the math using an approach that works better for him?

#3 of 5 Old 08-31-2012, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

No, we can't do part time.  I asked the "teacher" anyway, in a kmail and got a call from the "math coach"  who basically told me, we are stuck with the bad curriculum but if it was too hard to let him use a calculator for the multi-digit multiplication and long division.  "You mean for each small multiplication fact within the problems until his facts are memorized faster or the whole problem?"  I say.  And she says, "The whole problem."  Can you believe that????  What is he gonna learn?  I mean the main problem (which I explained) is that K12 gives 2 lessons on long division.  The computer teaching didn't help.  I taught, but there are a few problems and then boom, you are supposed to have mastered it, but he should have just done those with a calculator??? 

I am trying to find another math curriculum and plan to just check off the OLS with it!  Any reccomendations?

#4 of 5 Old 08-31-2012, 09:14 PM

Could you have him supplement with Khan Academy?  That's what I'm doing with my kids.  We're going through Saxon, not K12, for math, but it seems to be helping. 

Kristi

Wife to 1 since 2000

Mom to 6 hippie.gif('01), jammin.gif ('02), superhero.gif('07), bouncy.gif ('09), energy.gif ('09), diaper.gif ('10)

homeschool.gif

#5 of 5 Old 08-31-2012, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I've heard good things about "math - u -see".  I've never used it but many of our homeschoolers around here use the program.

My own kiddo used several different workbooks.  KUMON makes workbooks which seem to help many kids who need extra help.  I've found Kumon books at Barnes and Noble, Amazon, and teachers stores.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Tags
Learning Resources , Education , Homeschooling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page