Website to teach sign language to preschooler? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 08-30-2012, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I plan to homeschool all my children. Currently we have a 20 month daughter. I've taught her some sign language, but really want to use it more with her. I'm looking for a website or online way for her to learn sign language (and hopefully me too). I hope to teach all my children to be fluent in sign language.

Anyone know of a website for her to play and learn? Or even a way to learn with cartoons, videos, or that sort of thing. She's still young so I want it to be fun.

In addition, any websites or ways to teach other languages:

I am also thinking about adding some other languages in the future (thinking Portuguese, Italian, French, Chinese, Japanese...). Not thinking to learn fluently, but to be able to hold a conversation. I already know some French. My husband knows some Spanish, but he is of Portuguese descent and we would prefer to learn that instead. Japanese or Chinese to learn a different system not based on Latin. Thinking Mandarin Chinese as it is one of the most common.

If you have experience teaching your child(ren) sign language or foreign languages I'd love any ideas, suggestions, tips, or stories about how you did it. If you already speak multiple languages I know that is easier; one parent speaks one language while the other speaks another. However, we can't do this... yet.

Thanks to anyone with ideas or resources. :)

#2 of 22 Old 09-04-2012, 05:23 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)

I don't but it looks like your post was missed so I thought I'd bump it up for attention. smile.gif

Anyone have anything to share?

#3 of 22 Old 09-04-2012, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the bump. I used to have a few resources, but can't find them anymore. Hoping someone can make a few suggestions. :)

#4 of 22 Old 09-04-2012, 05:27 PM
AAK

Quoted: 15 Post(s)

www.handspeak.com is a good resource, but it would be for you.  You would then incorporate the new signs into your life with her.  

Regarding other languages: we have liked the bbc's language site.  They have free resources for adults as well as children, though I would expect that most children need to be 3 or older to really do it.  http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/primarylanguages/spanish/

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#5 of 22 Old 09-05-2012, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAK View Post

www.handspeak.com is a good resource, but it would be for you.  You would then incorporate the new signs into your life with her.  

Regarding other languages: we have liked the bbc's language site.  They have free resources for adults as well as children, though I would expect that most children need to be 3 or older to really do it.  http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/primarylanguages/spanish/

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into handspeak.com right now. I've been using a mobile app on my phone called "My Smart Hands", but it only has a couple hundred words. Many I don't use everyday and it's been freezing.

#6 of 22 Old 09-05-2012, 02:33 PM

Look into this series. Both my son and I love them:

http://www.signingtime.com/

Gabriella

http://greenhometoday.blogspot.ca/

#7 of 22 Old 09-05-2012, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriellav1 View Post

Look into this series. Both my son and I love them:

http://www.signingtime.com/

That looks like a great resource to learn sign language. When did you start with your son? Did you start with the Baby Signing course for your son or jump right into the ASL course?

#8 of 22 Old 09-05-2012, 03:20 PM

I should probably first explain that my son has special needs (a chromosomal disorder that brings on global developmental delays) and was diagnosed with a hearing loss at 4 months. I immediately looked into resources for communication that I knew I'd need later in his future.  Everyone discouraged me because they thought his motor disabilities would prohibit him from signing, but I didn't hear of it. I figured I had nothing to lose.  So, I found this series and learned the co-creator's story (her daughter is deaf and this program was created as a means for her family to learn to communicate with her).  But, it's taken off to include all children (ie: it's not aimed at the deaf community - very versatile), schools/daycares and homeschoolers use it - special needs or not.  I started signing with my son at 4 months.

He showed signs of understanding at 6 months, and signed for the first time at 11 months (the sign MORE).  The learning curve for him doesn't quite compare with typical developing children, but he's learned quite a few signs over the years (he's going to be 5 in Oct.)  We're now using other systems of communication in addition to signing, but I see how HOOKED he is to the videos.  In fact, we add to our library each time we celebrate a birthday or holiday.  He loves the songs, the children, the signs.  It's helped him build vocabulary, and every so often, he surprises us with a new sign that we had no idea he even knew the meaning of - much less that he had the ability to sign. 

I have learned the words right along with him.  It's very basic, but each series builds on the next.  So, I am able to put together "phrases" or sign to many songs (not necessarily in the series) because of the amount of words I've learned in only the first 6 DVDs!  It's amazing.  People think I know how to sign proficiently! LOL!

Also, we started with the regular series, then we borrowed some of Baby Signing DVDs from the center he gets services from.  Again, excellent.  There are different words in each series, some overlap, but the songs are different and EXCELLENT!  Highly highly recommend it.  Very child-friendly.  You say your child is 20 months?  I would skip the baby series and go right into the Signing Time Series because they show very young babies in those videos.  Your child might be more attracted by the older children?

Also, the site has additional resources to support the DVDs.

Hope this helps.

AAK likes this.

Gabriella

#9 of 22 Old 09-05-2012, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriellav1 View Post

He showed signs of understanding at 6 months, and signed for the first time at 11 months (the sign MORE).  

That helps a lot. Your son showing signs of understanding the signs at 6 months and signing back at 11 months is exactly what happened with my daughter. :) 

That's fantastic that you still wanted to learn ASL with him, even though others didn't agree. I would have done the same thing.

This is my little story:

I learned the alphabet in sign language and some basics from my hubby. At the time he was working alongside a deaf person. Then I learned more geared towards babies when I worked at a daycare as a teacher. (FYI: Many of the signs were incorrect.) So I always knew I wanted teach my children. I believe the sign language signs across the globe is 80% similar, or something to that effect. I started signing with my daughter from the day she was born.

Then I got the baby signing app for my phone and tried learning signs of our everyday life while my daughter was sleeping on me. It's helped a lot, but now I think I need something more. 

Your suggestion is great. I'm only concerned with the price of the DVDs and that they are DVDs. My hubby and I just bought a travel trailer and will be traveling the county so we won't have much room for storing extra items (like DVDs). I still might have to find a way though. The series looks great and I can use them for future children.

I agree with you about skipping the baby signing and jumping right into the ASL.

Thanks for the background and information. It always helps me to see/hear what other moms are doing that is succeeding. :)

#10 of 22 Old 09-05-2012, 05:16 PM

i am using the Baby Signing time to teach my 20m twins sign, they both have a expressive speech delay(no real spoken words yet), though no real receptive language delay or other issues, they love it and are picking it up so fast! i really encourage it.  i have not seen the non baby version, but the ones i have are nice, very good repetition and sign song nature to it, they really get in the groove.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#11 of 22 Old 09-05-2012, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Adorkable~ View Post

i am using the Baby Signing time to teach my 20m twins sign, they both have a expressive speech delay(no real spoken words yet), though no real receptive language delay or other issues, they love it and are picking it up so fast! i really encourage it.  i have not seen the non baby version, but the ones i have are nice, very good repetition and sign song nature to it, they really get in the groove.

Thanks for the suggestion. Is this the same Baby Signing Time, http://www.babysigningtime.com/

When did you start with your twins? I'm wondering if it would be outgrown too quickly if I started it with my 20 month old today. She already knows a lot of the basic signs we use in everyday life. Do you think it will still be a good option?

#12 of 22 Old 09-06-2012, 05:11 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Bbc signing stuff will not be asl and if you are in the USA you should probably stick with asl. Signing Time uses asl and there are various free sites like www.aslpro.com with many signs.

Good luck.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#13 of 22 Old 09-06-2012, 11:20 AM

I was going to mention that the Signing Time series does use ASL (baby one too, and I am pretty sure they're accurate). 

You might want to check out the site to see the word list for each DVD and start with the DVD that includes words your daughter does not yet use.  Although, I like how they are grouped by theme. 

If you sign up for the newsletter, you will get notification for sales.  That's when I shop because that's when I get the best deals.  I love that there are books and CDs that go along with the DVDs too.

You can also YouTube some of the songs/lessons, to get a feel for what the series is like. The kids in the videos age along with your child... which is cool.  The girl in the video is her deaf daughter.  Amazing to see her progress over the years.

Spend some time on that website: http://www.signingtime.com/#

You'll see what I'm talking about.

Gabriella

#14 of 22 Old 09-06-2012, 11:24 AM

i just started the dvds in the begining of Aug and they are very good for them, i dont feel like they are too young.  my kids had about 3 signs but really didnt use them, boy that changed when the saw the video, i think it really helps it sink in in a fun way, they actually sign the opening title theme song and time you mention the dvd near them!

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#15 of 22 Old 09-06-2012, 05:16 PM

@ Adorkable: Your babes are making melt!  Many blessings!

Gabriella

#16 of 22 Old 09-06-2012, 05:37 PM

my daughter was getting her pjs on tonight as signed "milk" (which i have used for nursing, since that is the only milk she gets) for the first time with no prompting!  how amazing is it to see this little person with no verbal words yet, get to ask for something and be "heard".

i said back "you would like to nurse? sure we'll nurse as soon as we get these pj's on" she got so happy when she realized she was "heard", she had little dance dance spring in her step as she walked to the bedroom for bed, signing "milk" as part of the dance all the way there.

i love signing, i wish i would have focused on it more a year ago!

#17 of 22 Old 09-07-2012, 04:13 AM

I have used traditional "milk" for nursing and "moo" signed like cow for cow milk. My kids ask for them by name and it makes me happy.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#18 of 22 Old 09-07-2012, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for letting me know which ones use ASL. I definitely want her to learn the "real" sign language, instead of having to reteach the correct signs. Of course, like a few of you I'm also using the "milk" sign for breast milk as we don't drink cow's milk either. :)

I'll definitely look at YouTube to see some samples and see how my daughter reacts. That's a great idea. It's like testing the system before you buy it. Thanks for the suggestion.

And thanks to everyone who is responding with their experiences and systems they use. It is really helpful.

#19 of 22 Old 09-08-2012, 05:12 PM

Well, the United Kingdom doesn't use American Sign Language, but they use a very real language. Just not one you find on this side of the pond. It's really interesting how sign languages differ. ASL is based on French signing and has very little to do with UK signing. I think it's cool. smile.gif

#20 of 22 Old 09-10-2012, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightkindofme View Post

Well, the United Kingdom doesn't use American Sign Language, but they use a very real language. Just not one you find on this side of the pond. It's really interesting how sign languages differ. ASL is based on French signing and has very little to do with UK signing. I think it's cool. smile.gif

That is neat. It's interesting that's it's based on French signing. I didn't know that.

I'm aware that many countries use their own version of sign language. I thought that the majority of all sign language has a lot in common though, where many signs are similar and you have a better chance of communicating in different countries by knowing sign language. I think I read about it when I was taking Early Childhood Education classes.

#21 of 22 Old 09-10-2012, 12:39 PM

I don't remember the full history off the top of my head but there was a deaf colony on Martha's Vineyard and they wanted to learn a more formal signing language so they sent to England for help and were rebuffed. A guy from France was willing to come start a school (Gallaudet was his name) so we followed what he knew. The UK signing language uses two hands for each letter whereas French/ASL uses one hand for each letter. That makes for a neat difference in learning. I've tried to learn both but I am having a hard time.

#22 of 22 Old 09-10-2012, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

That's really interesting. I'm glad we have the single handed letters. Makes it easier to signal hubby with one hand when a baby is sleeping in your other arms. Lol.

Tags
Learning Resources , Education , Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page