Plans for desks and chairs - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-04-2012, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am trying to design our homeschool space.  My husband is a former carpenter and will build it...and will build it sooner if I design it.  I want to have something for the last week in September when we start our school year.  I have a 4 and a 6 year old.  Some of the work we do is standing at the desk, some sitting.  And of course they are growing constantly.  I have a Tripp Trapp chair and a knock off, so I've considered desks that have adjustable legs (holes for bolts at different heights) and taking those chairs from the dining room and replacing with standard adult dining room chairs for eating.  It seems like appropriate height chairs matter even more for schooling than eating...? But then the school table won't be the right height for standing work (like form drawing - we're Waldorf inspired).  Or we could build chairs and tables with adjustable legs?

What do you do for your desks and chairs (outside of dining room option - I really want to use a separate space)?

Thanks!

#2 of 5 Old 09-04-2012, 11:15 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 78 Post(s)

We built cubby desks for our kids -- sort of like university study/library carrels. They were lovely: built-in storage for books, art supplies, etc., adjustable stools. We built a lighted cozy-up space in the area underneath the work surface and filled it with a big cushion. But to be honest, the "fort" area beneath was the only area that got consistently used. They would go in there to read. The desks themselves didn't get used beyond the first few weeks. The kids preferred communal, open-concept space for their independent work, rather than a desk against a wall or in another room. We eventually dismantled the desks and used the space for other things.

Now that my older three kids are teens, they are enjoying using desks in the way I envisioned. They set up their space as they like, they settle in and focus on self-motivated studies with their music and their laptops and a pot of tea or whatever. But my 9-year-old is, as I type, working away on the breakfast counter in the kitchen like usual, even though she has a desk to use.

Miranda 

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#3 of 5 Old 09-04-2012, 03:59 PM

I want to get 1 desk that the kids can share, mainly for times when they want to do something without being bugged.. We live in a super small place (around 800 sq feet and there is soon to be 6 of us) so having separate desks isn't possible.

We do the majority of our "school work" either in bed, on the porch, on the couch or someplace similar so the desk won't be used much anyway. My older two just wants a "quiet space" for when they need some time away from their siblings.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#4 of 5 Old 09-04-2012, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

We have been working at our dining room table and time at a table in chairs works well for us.  It is time that I'm working with the kids, rather than time when they are independently working. 

#5 of 5 Old 09-05-2012, 08:46 AM

I would have one table be set at the height you need it to be for standing work and one be at the height you need it to be for seated work.

I would think the one at standing height would be the one you needed to be the adjustable height table.

The seated work table could just be a standard desk or table height if you have adjustable chairs. I would use the Tripp Trapp chairs you have at the seated work table.

I personally would spend more time designing storage for a homeschool space than tables and chairs. I've found that over the years we use different areas/surfaces of the house so tables or desks aren't a big deal but we always need better storage for books and supplies.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

Tags
Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page