Meet The Masters - Art program?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-06-2012, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Is anyone using 'Meet the Masters' for homeschooling? Ds is 12 and working at probably upper jr high levels but I am looking to fill in some gaps this year.  He LOVES art and when I looked at MTM last spring?? the program looked like it could possibly be a good fit.  DS loves online programs and self directed classes.  We are unschoolers for most things but I am slowly turning the ship toward more online classes for accountability and such.  

Basically I'm looking for some feedback on MTM and the program in general.  Is it something a high level kid can do on their own?  Did you like the program?  How much art projects vs art history is there?   Most importantly - does the program work properly , is it easy for a kiddo to sign in, does the class load up properly etc?

Thanks so much

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#2 of 3 Old 09-09-2012, 09:33 PM
AAK

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post

Basically I'm looking for some feedback on MTM and the program in general.  Is it something a high level kid can do on their own?  Did you like the program?  How much art projects vs art history is there?   Most importantly - does the program work properly , is it easy for a kiddo to sign in, does the class load up properly etc?

Thanks so much

We've used it. 

Your son should be able to use it on his own.  There is a "learning" segment on the computer.  It is short and has a very small quiz at the end.  There is a "script" for you to read out loud while the student looks at the slides, but I don't know why he couldn't just read the script himself.  After the learning part, there is a "doing" part.  Again, as long as he can read and follow basic instructions, he should be able to be self directed on this as well.  Each unit is about a particular artist.  You get the history of the artist, etc from the computer and you have a project (with some practice activities) to tie in with each artist.  

The program works fine, very easy to sign in, and everything has always loaded well.  We bought our subscription through homeschool buyers coop, so we log in through that.  

Do we like the program?  Overall, I would say yes.  However, it isn't anything to write home about.  It was what we were looking for at the moment.  We don't do it all the time, we do the art project when we are in the mood to, and I got the 8-9 year old version and have everyone using it.  The girls think the little artist character is hilarious and they love to make fun of it.  It takes us about 10-15 minutes on the computer for each lesson and about 30-45 min for the projects.  I am happy we ordered it.  If it were too serious, hard, or intense, my kids wouldn't have wanted to learn about artists at all.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#3 of 3 Old 09-10-2012, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Thanks- after much 'googling' I've found other reviews and it seems to be a decent program versus few other options available.  I think we are going to give MTM a try - Starting in October.  September is flying by and I have yet to get my feet under me.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Tags
Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page