Oak Meadow First Grade, is Reading & Math Sup Necessary? Suggestions for Sup? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-20-2012, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are homeschooling with a charter and using Oak Meadow.  It doesn't line up with state standards and there is pressure to supplement.  Do you think it's necessary?

Also, for math sup. do you recommend Math U See or Singapor (or something better)?  And what about for reading?

#2 of 4 Old 09-21-2012, 10:53 AM

I'm also interested in whether sup. is necessary, as I'll be purchasing the OM1 curriculum in a few months. It seems there are people that feel strongly in BOTH directions "Yes, you must supplement, it's too weak", or "No! It's fine, it is a gentle curriculum that doesn't need supplementing".

#3 of 4 Old 10-07-2012, 10:42 AM

I am am using OM1 with my 6 year old this year. If I only did what was in the book she would be bored with the math. She LOVES the idea of the gnomes and incorporates that into the other math stuff we do. She is old enough and capable of doing abstract math, not just with tangibles which is OM1's focus. I am not buying any supplemental material though. I've used math games I find on pinterest and incorporate math where ever I can in everyday life.

Reading - I bought mine second hand which didn't include the early readers. We have a ton of early readers anyway so it's not a big deal. I have been working on sight words which is not touched on in OM1. Once again I've been using free game ideas off the internet. DD1 is a reluctant reader, but she is coming around. I did get scholastic's bob books to help her get started they really helped, but I know there's a lot of kids out there that wouldn't need those.

HTH

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

#4 of 4 Old 10-07-2012, 11:12 AM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I would get started without the supplements, then add as individually indicated. Need extra support for a particular aspect of math? Then look online or in books. Same with reading. Reading regular books (at appropriate level of course) is the best practice, and can be based on the child's interest. I used Oak Meadows as a basic foundation one year, but expanded on my child's interests and needs, rather than pre-determined supplements. This is the real strength of home-schooling - that the curriculum can be guided by the child's strengths and challenges, not a package "grade level".

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

Tags
Learning Resources , Education , Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page