Please remind me (CA R-4 with a 6th grader) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-21-2012, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, if I pull her out of public school will she be considered a truant until the October filing date? Is it still an October filing date? Any info would be very helpful. Thanks in advance. :)

#2 of 9 Old 09-21-2012, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I don't know much about California's private school thing is but generally you do want to give the school a letter telling them that you are withdrawing your child from their school. I would think that she would be considered truant from the time you keep her home to the time you officially withdraw her from the school she is currently attending.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#3 of 9 Old 09-21-2012, 07:26 PM

You can read what the legal team of the HomeSchool Assn. of California (HSC), says about it here - the private school affidavit. They feel it's important to prepare all the other required documentation at the beginning of the school year, even though the affidavit isn't taken until Oct. 1.

Excerpt:  "The fact that the affidavits are filed after the school year typically starts is not a problem. No private school can file before October 1, and the state does not claim that every private school student is truant between mid-August and October 1. If you are contacted after the typical school year begins but before October by anyone who has a right to see your school's affidavit, you should explain that no private school can file an affidavit before October 1. You can also offer to show them your affidavit from the prior year, or, if you did not file in the prior year, offer to mail them a copy when you can."

You can send the school your child has been enrolled in a letter from your private school to let them know the child is withdrawn from it and enrolled in the new school. Here's their advice on that, and it includes a sample letter: notifying your local district

Lillian

blsilva likes this.
#4 of 9 Old 09-22-2012, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for that information! I really love the CA R-4 option. :)

#5 of 9 Old 09-24-2012, 08:08 PM

Yes, it's a great place to homeschool! It hasn't been called the R-4 for a while, though, because that was just the name of the paper form, and those have been replaced by the online form. So it's now just a PSA, for private school affidavit.  - Lillian

#6 of 9 Old 09-25-2012, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, thanks for letting me know. You can see how long it's been for us. :)

#7 of 9 Old 10-09-2012, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

The school said they don't need a letter saying I'm withdrawing her. She goes to school now in a different district than the one I live in (where we would be homeschooling). How does that affect things as far as the PSA goes?

#8 of 9 Old 10-11-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Soltera View Post

The school said they don't need a letter saying I'm withdrawing her. She goes to school now in a different district than the one I live in (where we would be homeschooling). How does that affect things as far as the PSA goes?

I haven't heard of this particular situation - it might be helpful to go into HSC's email list and see what they think about whether there's anything you might want to do for the best clarity, but I really doubt that there's anything to do other than file the affidavit. The information that it's been filed is accessible to the district. From the State's website:  "The Affidavit is a registration document only. If the filing entity meets the criteria outlined in #2 in this section above, files properly, and receives a confirmation number, the filing school’s name and other information will appear in a database maintained by CDE and accessible generally to the public. This database is used by public school districts to help determine whether absent students in their attendance areas are truant.." 

Lillian

#9 of 9 Old 10-15-2012, 07:56 AM

Glad I saw this--about time to file again! 

Tags
Unschooling , Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page