What would you do? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-24-2012, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Scenario:
Your 9th grader is doing an online virtual school for high school.  She likes the workload and seems to be doing okay.  The 3rd week of school she gets very sick with pertussis.  Now, with the very real possibility that she may be sick and not 100% until christmas, the work keeps piling up and she is getting overwhelmed.  There is NO ROOM for the parent to adjust her schedule.  Its a fixed schedule and the parents or learning coach cannot adjust it. So work keeps piling up.

What would you do?  Keep her in and hope for the best or pull her out, so she can work at her own pace and focus on getting well?

Thanks

: :Mama to 4 girls and Michael is here 9/11/09 We love :::
#2 of 8 Old 09-24-2012, 06:14 AM

I would probably pull her out.

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnamaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcrochetsmilie.gifblahblah.gifenergy.gifgoorganic.jpggd.gifteapot2.GIFbftoddler.giffamilybed2.gif

#3 of 8 Old 09-24-2012, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

First I'd see about giving a max dose of vitamin c spread through every day to see if that hurries recovery along and lessens the symptoms enough to work anyway. Occasionally all the stages of pertussis can be over in a month. If she got more behind than she could handle bouncing back from or a grading time came up with everything incomplete, I'd totally pull her out and go with a plan b. Are different virtual schools available to you? The virtual school my brother is doing allows them to work at their own pace, he's rushing through things 3 grades a year (bored gifted kid that he is). Or do you have an interest in another kind of curriculum?

#4 of 8 Old 09-24-2012, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

I am giving her immune boosting herbs, supplements etc.

There are a few different virtual schools, but all are on a "school schedule".

#5 of 8 Old 09-24-2012, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I would keep copies of the school material - print off what you can of the lesson plans for the year etc, search amazon, ebay etc for your own books, compile your own 'school' for this year then withdraw from 'virtual school' but since she likes it, keep up the lessons as much as you can.  Its really not that difficult to keep up once you have the books and the lessons/binders already.  Just make your copies and go forward at her own pace.

Re-evaluate next year and see what she wants to do.  I would keep a spreadsheet of her classes, projects and work for this year so you can create a transcript.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#6 of 8 Old 09-25-2012, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursingnaturalmom View Post

Scenario:
Your 9th grader is doing an online virtual school for high school.  She likes the workload and seems to be doing okay.  The 3rd week of school she gets very sick with pertussis.  Now, with the very real possibility that she may be sick and not 100% until christmas, the work keeps piling up and she is getting overwhelmed.  There is NO ROOM for the parent to adjust her schedule.  Its a fixed schedule and the parents or learning coach cannot adjust it. So work keeps piling up.

What would you do?  Keep her in and hope for the best or pull her out, so she can work at her own pace and focus on getting well?

Thanks

If there is no flexibility in the schedule and she is falling behind then I would just pull her out and let her work at her own pace.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#7 of 8 Old 09-25-2012, 06:51 AM

If there's no way to get her enrolled in a later term, I would pull her for the semester, let her work at her own pace now, and see how things pick up, maybe re-enroll in January, and if not, work through summer to complete the term and re-enroll in fall if that's an option.

Get well soon!

#8 of 8 Old 09-30-2012, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

thought I would post an update.  She is much better and is trying to get caught up.  She likes the work and the challenge so for now, I'm going to leave it as it is and see what happens.

Tags
Education , Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page