NY Homeschoolers -- help with IHIP? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-24-2012, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We're taking our 7 year old out of public schooling.  It's a long story, he has developmental and emotional issues, but it's time.  And we're finally at the point to put our fears behind us and just do it.

I have a letter of intent, and just looked at my friend's IHIP for her home-schooled son. But he's 16.  Is there a web resource someone could recommend to help me write one for my son?  I don't know where to start looking in terms of what he should be learning this year.  (He's second grade.)

(I'm not worried about the actual learning.  That we'll do fine with.  Just making sure the district gets whatever BS necessary to keep them happy.)  ;)

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Suz, mommy to 2 chess-playing, lightsaber-wielding boys

#2 of 7 Old 09-25-2012, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Just for anyone else who may be looking:

http://www.nyhen.org/regs.htm#b

#3 of 7 Old 10-01-2012, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Ours was fairly vague.  If you put something specific in an IHIP, you better be sure you can cover 80% of it because that's what's required.  I wasn't even sure what curricula I would be using when I started the year and wrote my IHIP, so I was pretty vague.  My daughter is 6 1/2.

So, anyway, for instance, we used language like this:

Math: We will be using a Montessori-based math method which will include topics such as geometry, addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and fractions in both concrete and abstract ways. We will also deal with math questions as they come up in daily life such as time and money as well as questions simply generated by curiosity.

Resources may include:

• Arithmetic Album for the Montessori Elementary School by Sister Anne McCarrick

• Mathematics Activities for Teaching and Learning by Barnard and Wheeler

• Mental Maths Strategies by Alan Parker

• Understanding the Math You Teach by Anita C. Burris

• Super Teacher Worksheets http://www.superteacherworksheets.com

History/geography: Sophia will study a combination of world history, American history, NY state history; and both world and United States geography. We will use time-lines to attempt to make connections about what was going on at different times in the world in different places. She will read books and have books read to her of her and our choosing; both looking at history from a broader perspective and narrowing in on particularly interesting or significant historical figures. She will visit museums, and go on other kinds of field trips that will bring history alive for her. She will learn something of the daily lives of people past and present in different areas of the world and gain some understanding and acceptance of a variety of lifestyles. Sophia will look at maps and make maps to learn how to navigate her world and gain an understanding of the expansiveness of the greater world.

Resources may include:

• Little House on the Prairie series by Laura Ingalls Wilder

• The American Story: 100 true tales from American History by Jennifer Armstrong

Note I used language like "resources MAY include".  I also put a slight disclaimer in the beginning that said something to the effect of "we will be using a child-directed approach in conjunction with unit studies..." and made it clear that things might change if the child loses interest in something (like her recorder lessons)...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#4 of 7 Old 10-01-2012, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

That's very helpful, thanks.  I kept it general for the most part, but after reading your post I can see a few things on mine I may want to make less specific (or eliminate). 

So how is homeschooling going for you? :) I hope well!

#5 of 7 Old 10-01-2012, 09:34 AM

Eh, it's going ok.  The hard part is carving out time for myself when I have three kids here.  And getting my youngest busy enough that I can work with the other two... and getting my obstinate 5 yr old interested in anything.  He's interested in things, just not what I want him to be interested in lol.gif  He'd do best as an unschooler, but I'm hesitant mostly because I'll have to report *SOMETHING* to the school districts (though not til next year...).  My 6 year old would be easy peasy if it were just her, though...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

#6 of 7 Old 10-01-2012, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

I give you a lot of kudos.  :)

As for your 5 year old... my friend unschooled all three of her kids (one in college now, one chose high school, and the 16 year old is still homeschooling) and she never got a bit of fuss from the district.  Which is in encouraging since she pretty much gave them the same lesson plan every year, and then they just did what they pleased.  :)

Good luck!

#7 of 7 Old 10-01-2012, 09:44 AM

I have friends around here who do, too.  I am just an angsty, rule-follower in general and am having a hard time figuring out how that all works.  I'm hoping by next year it'll be more clear!

Tags
Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page