Kapla Blocks (xposted) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-26-2012, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Kiddo is 12, a major Lego fanatic.  I'm really looking to expand our building tools here.  Snap circuits don't interest him.  Knex are a giant NO.  Marble runs never held his interest.  He loves origami.  He loves building.  He's used Kapla Blocks at the science center but there are usually so many dang kids around my own kiddo can't finish a project or concentrate.

My basic questions:

1. Why are these things so dang expensive?  They look like popsicle sticks

2. Do your kids like them, do you think my kid would?

3. How many do you realistically need?

4. Does the color make a difference?

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#2 of 6 Old 09-26-2012, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

lurk.gif

Your timing couldn't be better asking this question.  My youngest dd's 6th birthday is coming up, and I'd like to get some of these.  Thinking about these vs. building sets like K'nex.  We have enough Legos.

I'm eagerly waiting replies to your questions.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#3 of 6 Old 09-26-2012, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

SweetSilver- I can tell you Knex isn't a hit around here.  DS has received several sets over the years and new in the box they sat. I finally donated them to our homeschool group over the summer (Yes I moved them 3x and across the country before I finally gave up),  We had little sets and jumbo sets, mechanical battery powered sets and plain building pieces.

I just wish 'plain old wood' wasn't so dang expensive.  DS really is into architecture and building. I *think* he would like this but its a huge $$ risk to take.  Maybe I need to visit the local teachers store and see what they have on display??

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#4 of 6 Old 09-26-2012, 09:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

OP, I ended up getting the cheaper ones called citiblocs and my kids 6 and 4 LOVE them.  They have built all sorts of things with them.  We continue to enjoy them.  The thing that is fun about them is adults can realy get into it as well.  We currently have 400.    

SweetSilver, they require a lot of patience and they are very easily knocked down.  My 4 year old took a while to become steady enough to build somethings and she is still not into it as her brother is because her hands are just not as steady.  My six year old can spend up to an hour trying to build something from the manual and it may fall apart.  He has learned to be patient and take his time because of these blocks.  So, if your child tends to get upset when something gets messed up, then either this toy is a good way of teaching her to be more resilient in the face of "failure" OR it might be the most hated toy in your house :)  

#5 of 6 Old 09-27-2012, 07:16 AM

Disclosure: I work for KEVA planks....

I suggest you check out KEVA planks from Mindware.  (Same dimensions as Kapla)  KEVA planks come in maple which is made in the USA and pine (like Kapla and Citiblocs) which is imported.  Kapla and KEVA structures tend to hold together better because the blocks are cut with such high precision.  If the structures fall apart easily, it is probably because of cheap quality.   There's a reason their blocks are cheap.

Pine KEVA planks have good precision and a lower price.  Maple KEVA cost more but they are more durable and will last for your grandkids. 

Kapla and KEVA are so "dang" expensive because you must have high precision to make the blocks fit together perfectly and make stable structures.  The precision creates the magic but it costs more to manufacture.   Many families find that KEVA planks become the most used toy in the house so the cost per hour played is very low.  

We have found that most Lego nuts also enjoy the different style of building with precision blocks like Kapla and KEVA planks.  Kids with no interest in Lego and Knex tend to find the simplicity of precision blocks to be appealing.

I hope that helps.   Build  a mind with whichever you choose.

Ken

#6 of 6 Old 09-27-2012, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDad View Post

Disclosure: I work for KEVA planks....

I suggest you check out KEVA planks from Mindware.  (Same dimensions as Kapla)  KEVA planks come in maple which is made in the USA and pine (like Kapla and Citiblocs) which is imported.  Kapla and KEVA structures tend to hold together better because the blocks are cut with such high precision.  If the structures fall apart easily, it is probably because of cheap quality.   There's a reason their blocks are cheap.

Pine KEVA planks have good precision and a lower price.  Maple KEVA cost more but they are more durable and will last for your grandkids. 

Kapla and KEVA are so "dang" expensive because you must have high precision to make the blocks fit together perfectly and make stable structures.  The precision creates the magic but it costs more to manufacture.   Many families find that KEVA planks become the most used toy in the house so the cost per hour played is very low.  

We have found that most Lego nuts also enjoy the different style of building with precision blocks like Kapla and KEVA planks.  Kids with no interest in Lego and Knex tend to find the simplicity of precision blocks to be appealing.

I hope that helps.   Build  a mind with whichever you choose.

Ken

Ken, the reason the structures fall apart is because they are complex, not because they are cheap quality.  We are not making simple towers here.  You know why I say this? 200 of the planks I have are from Keva.  And 200 is from Citiblocs.  We played with our Keva blocks for a long time before we added colored ones from Citiblocs.  Ultimately we decided we wanted colored ones and Keva doesn't provide any so we bought Citiblocs.  I have to say, in terms of quality, I felt the keva blocks were slightly better but it has not made a difference for my kids.  

OP, I suggest you do not mix like I did because the citiblocks have a slightly different dimension. It is tiny but it can make a difference depending on the structure being built.  Keva and Kapla are interchangeable.  

Tags
Learning Resources , Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page