Homeschooling a child with low IQ - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-27-2012, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a son with low IQ. He's in kindergarten and I've considered pulling him out of school due to many issues with the school district. However, how does standardized testing work when you have a child significantly behind their peers? I'm in MN btw.

Nicole, mom of 3. Mitochondrial Disease.: Epilepsy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2012, 06:58 PM

In MN, you are obligated to have your child tested every year, but you are not obligated to report the results to anyone.  So choose a test you believe is appropriate for your child, and do whatever you like with the results..  The Peabody Test might be a good fit-- it's an oral exam that is k-12, (the administrator stops asking questions when they get too hard for the student) and it's a fast, low-pressure way to meet the requirement.  

Hope that helps!

Old 09-30-2012, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onatightrope View Post

In MN, you are obligated to have your child tested every year, but you are not obligated to report the results to anyone.  So choose a test you believe is appropriate for your child, and do whatever you like with the results..  The Peabody Test might be a good fit-- it's an oral exam that is k-12, (the administrator stops asking questions when they get too hard for the student) and it's a fast, low-pressure way to meet the requirement.  

Hope that helps!

My understanding was the MN law said that if your child scored in the lower 30% or a full grade level "behind" that you were legally required to have them evaluated for learning disabilities...?  If you're not required to report the results, how would they know?

In MN, you also have to report at the beginning of the year and state the test you'll be using (which drives me nuts because it's like they assume you're teaching to a test).  I'm wondering if they use this notice as a means to check the results?

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
Old 09-30-2012, 09:12 PM

They have no right to the results of the test, so the state can't really follow up on it, but you're right there is a requirement for assessment if the scores are low.

The law says:

Quote:
If the results of the assessments in paragraphs (a) and (b) indicate that the child's performance on the total battery score is at or below the 30th percentile or one grade level below the performance level for children of the same age, the parent must obtain additional evaluation of the child's abilities and performance for the purpose of determining whether the child has learning problems.

It doesn't say that the parent has to obtain additional evaluation from the schools.  I think if the results of the testing are in line with what the OP would expect, given what she already knows about her child's learning issues, she could use that additional evaluation to meet the standard.  But if the OP wants a better idea of what people in her situation do, there's a yahoogroup for people who are homeschooling special needs kids in MN-- the link is here: http://homeschoolers.org/special-needs-2/

Old 10-01-2012, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I don't know about where you are, but here in NY (which is apparently one of the tougher regulation states for homeschooling) our kids just have to show progress yearly, not necessarily be on grade level.  That said, discerning whether there's a learning disability may be to your advantage, anyway.  And it doesn't say the child would have to go back to school, just that they should be evaluated so that you can give them the help they need (which often includes double time allowed for testing or things like tests being read to them...).

If you know he has low IQ, then he must have been evaluated in some form already, no?

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Tags
Homeschooling
User Tag List