Seeking penpal - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-03-2012, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi!  I am looking for a penpal for my 11yo daughter.  She attends public school but needs some extra help with her grammer, writing, and handwriting.  I got her excited about the idea of writing letters for extra practice and she is really interested in writing with somebody her age - actual letter writing, not email.

We live in suburban Alabama, and hope to find a penpal her age either in another part of the USA or in Canada.

A bit about her - she is 11, in middle school, a member of the school band (french horn) and loves to read.  She's a Harry Potter fanatic.  She is an only child in our home but biologically is my stepdaughter - i adopted her last May.  Her biomom has 2 other children.  As a family we are very active in dog rescue, particularly Bully breeds.

Also, be aware she has had struggles with mental health and abuse in her previous home and sometimes speaks freely about this.  If you arent comfortable having these discussions with your child, may not be a good fit.

#2 of 4 Old 10-07-2012, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Hoping you can find an ongoing penpal for your daughter, but for some of the writing and grammar practice items have you thought about using postcrossing?

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30****35******

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#3 of 4 Old 10-07-2012, 10:26 AM

Did you find anyone? My dd might be a good fit. She is 10.5 years old in the fifth grade. She is an excellent writer, so I don't think the age difference would matter. She has had different penpals over the years, but none have been good about writing. She is really into the idea of writing consistently.

She is also in the band (sax) and super into HP. Room is covered in HP stuff! Thoughts?

Amanda, mom to dsd (16), dd (11), dd (8), and ds (born 11/12/11).

#4 of 4 Old 10-10-2012, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

We are going to try Postcrossing.  She is really excited about that.  she seems more interested in that than in having a consistent penpal, actually.  I worry she wouldnt keep up with the consistency of a penpal and i would have to push her, it would become a chore if she would rather just send postcards you know

Tags
Unschooling , Education , Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page