Questions on possibly transitioning out of PS (K) over winter break, Reggio, Child-led, Project approach - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-14-2012, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I posted recently but things have moved along a little and I am no longer in rant mode! I was stressed in part because I felt like I didn't have support on HSing my 5.5 yo son (public k now, NOT impressed). Well something awesome happened! A conversation evolved between my husband and I, and as it transpired he just seemed to naturally agree with HSing, although he is still a bit wary an wants me to look into options in case that one doesn't work. I had also been discouraged because my mom reacted very negatively to my idea- she is a huge support system to me, a mentor, and teaches child development in college- but apparently this weekend I argued my case too well. Now she is like "Pull him out NOW! Start ASAP!" ... Not quite what I had in  mind. But hooray for a convincing case!

Subject #1) My original plan, had it worked out, was to start HSing in first grade because I was worried about the stress of transitioning suddenly. As it is now, he is only in K 2.75 hrs a day.( Pick up there in the afternoon is a total cluster**** though, and even though the school is only about 10 blocks from my house the process can take well over a half hour!) Anyway, in reality if I were able to HS him in the end, I would almost rather end the madness now and get him out of PS- I have noticed people commenting in these forums quite a few times that they pulled their kids from PS over xmas break- just transitioned them out at a down time so the shift wasn't as obvious. I also think K would be a good "test" HS year, to see how things fo for him before "full time" PS starts. I have to admit, if we do totally settle on HSing, waiting til 1st grade is going to be hard!

How do you feel about transitioning a child out of PS mid-year? Did you do it? How'd it go? Any advice?

Subject #2) If I do HS, My plan is to do emergent curriculum/ project based/ child-led/ reggio-emilia inspired. It is what I have experience in teaching early childhood, and up until K my son had been in f/t reggio-inspired/child-lead early learning centers since he was 2. He thrives in it, and I know with his interests and ways of learning it would be a great fit. I was curious if anyone else follows those methods, I am reading Project-Based Homeschooling by Lori Pickert right now, and I do have quite a bit of emergent curriculum/ Reggio texts available to me between my teaching experience and my mom, but I would also like suggestions on resources in that approach in regard to HSing, and if there is any curriculum guides to HSing grade school children particularly- A lot of my resources are center-teaching based and pre-k/toddler based, though I could interpret them to fit.

What are your go-to resources on the matter?

Thank you! :)

#2 of 5 Old 10-16-2012, 05:57 PM

Bump for some advice for the op.

#3 of 5 Old 10-16-2012, 07:31 PM

I haven't done PS, but I am HSing now in year 2 and I agree with your mom - if you are going to do it, don't bother waiting.  I'm not sure on your back story - I'm guessing it isn't going well in PS, so just getting out and "de-schooling" for a bit would work well.

As far as how you go about HSing - most people are some sort of mix.  I'm "eclectic" with a Charlotte Mason wanna-be bent, and a classical history approach with an emphasis on literature and creative learning.  I LOVED the idea of a RA preschool and would have likely sent the kids to one if there was one close by.   

FWIW, there is a big thread on the Well Trained Mind board that is discussing that book you are reading.  I haven't read it myself.

If you have an education background, may I kindly suggest you research a bit about homeschooling and perhaps even being sure to read some John Holt.  It is likely you will need a little "de-schooling" too. 

Have fun.  K is super fun. :)

#4 of 5 Old 10-23-2012, 02:44 PM

I recently read Project Based Homeschooling and fell in love. Coming from a Reggio background, you will likely have more experience to draw on when applying this method with your son.

Up until this year, we've been using Waldorf-inspired curriculum with our two always-homeschooled boys. We've been using Enki and love it, but it's currently only written through 3rd grade.

We are applying many of Lori's suggestions with our oldest ds who is thriving. We still make time for skills/practice work that is separate from Project Time, but it is abbreviated to give him more time to work deeply on his own project.

Did you know there's a forum on the PBH website? You can see how others are applying PBH with their older children. I think as children grow older, their projects evolve, but you may not need to change much as you mentor your child through the grades. You may decide to add in some skills/practice work...and I learned from others (and the author) on the forum about how to do that.
mamakitsune likes this.
#5 of 5 Old 10-23-2012, 06:04 PM
AAK

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakitsune View Post

How do you feel about transitioning a child out of PS mid-year? Did you do it? How'd it go? Any advice?

Subject #2) If I do HS, My plan is to do emergent curriculum/ project based/ child-led/ reggio-emilia inspired. 

What are your go-to resources on the matter?

Transistioning mid year is no-biggie, especially as young as kindy.  Like I have mentioned before, my oldest transistioned mid grade 3 and my second was mid 1st.  Mid first went more smoothly than mid 3rd but mostly because my oldest had "major" social things going on.  For her, we had the shock of "who are our real friends" come into play that winter.  

For subject #2. . . that is a wonderful way to go!  I hope the others can give you more "go-to" resources, but I always adapt everything to my liking so I don't know that I would be so great for this.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 

Tags
Unschooling , Learning Resources , Homeschooling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page