Going off grid educationally! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-15-2012, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just sent that decision making email to the school principal and teacher . . . 'my son is going to homeschool'!  Feels so good to finally hit send on that one! 

My older son, 12 (almost 13)  has been home learning for awhile but  7 year old little brother has been in school k-2.  I'm a single parent and work part time. I have been slowly shifting and working things out with my schedule to offer home learning to the younger too and we just decided now is the time.  Yay!

I work for a small non profit that has a couple of afternoons of set office hours but otherwise I can get my time in on my own schedule and some from home.  I have care set up for my 7 year old on those work days and boys will do some time together free ranging in our small town between my office and the library, fav coffee shop etc.  ,We also have a fabulous extended network of friends and family in town for boy support. 

I'm feeling very blessed in being able to make this more creative educational move for my son.  He's such an active physical kid - it will be so good for him to head out the door to run around the garden, visit the chickens, be free to clear his head whenever he needs.  He already has a list of things he wants to learn together taped up on the door.  Today he tells me we'll start with Grey Whales! 

#2 of 7 Old 10-15-2012, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

thumb.gif  

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#3 of 7 Old 10-15-2012, 08:35 AM

Yay! This is encouraging, because I hope to be in your shoes soon, telling my son's school he's not coming back. Lol. Also interesting you mention whales because If my son had his way it would probably be all whales all the time! Excited for you and your son's new adventure in learning :)

#4 of 7 Old 10-15-2012, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

joy.gif

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#5 of 7 Old 10-15-2012, 12:15 PM

Congratulations~!~~~

: :Mama to 4 girls and Michael is here 9/11/09 We love :::
#6 of 7 Old 10-16-2012, 12:55 PM
AAK

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Wow, that is so great that you can make it work.  I know of several families who would love to homeschool, but the job thing gets in the way.  Some have given up, others are trying to figure it out.  Your success is encouraging!

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#7 of 7 Old 11-14-2012, 05:05 AM

joy.gif Yay! My daughter went to school from K-3 and this is my first year homeschooling her. Her 2 older brothers have been homeschooled-my oldest graduated from a public high school but also went to charter...then my younger son charter, now homeschool for 2 years now. And, totally going to incorporate the "what do you want to learn" list. Awesome.

Tags
Unschooling , Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page