Open Connections in PA anyone have experiences? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-22-2012, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went to an open house/intro to homeschooling workshop yesterday at Open Connections in PA yesterday. http://www.openconnections.org/

It was pretty awesome. It's a place where homeschoolers can go 1-3 days per week to participate in activities with other homeschoolers. It was on 30 acres with a converted barn and farm house. There were chickens and goats and two ponds and a giant sand pit.

The programming space included all of these Montessori materials and open ended toys. They had 2 wood shops: one in the younger kids area and another larger one. There was a music room (guitars, pianos etc), a science room (microscopes, lab materials), a sewing room, a computer room (and they limit the computer usage of the youngers to limit screen time, multiple working kitchens etc. mixed ages groups. Kids from 2-18

It seemed pretty awesome. It's far from us (we live in the city- maybe 40 mins?) but it would only be one or two days a week at most.

Anyway I wanted to know if anyone on here had direct experience with Open Connections. I tend to be skeptical and it seemed so totally awesome so I wanted to maybe hear from other folks.

Tia!
#2 of 4 Old 10-22-2012, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I don't have any direct experience but everyone whose kids go there seem to think it's great. Except someone whose child isn't neurotypical (autism spectrum). It sounded like OP thought they could meet his needs but then wouldn't let mama be involved in getting him adjusted or take her advice on what works for him. I never got details or the whole story. But I suspect it's a great place for certain kids of kids and not so great for others. 

There is also Talking Stick. I'm guessing you've probably heard of that if you are on the local hs yahoo groups. If not, I can rummage up a link. One of the directors used to be a facilitator at OP.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#3 of 4 Old 10-22-2012, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

That sounds amazing!!!!

: :Mama to 4 girls and Michael is here 9/11/09 We love :::
#4 of 4 Old 10-24-2012, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I went on a tour there as well and it was AMAZING! I also know a few people whose kids go there and they love it. 

Single mama namaste.gif to dd dust.gifand ds fencing.gif, loving my dsd always reading.gif .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page