Which math is right? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-16-2012, 02:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My child would be 5 next month. I am confused over choosing the Right school for Singapore math. Also i want to whether it would be expensive than Right Math. We are living in Ontario and there is school, Sunnybrooks School. They deal with many elementary courses like Kindergarten, Singapore math etc. Does anyone have feedbacks about this school?  I am new to this. So please help. Other recommendations to the relevant course would be helpful.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 08:11 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)

I'm confused. Are you planning to send your child to school? I'm in rural BC so I don't have any experience with Ontario schools. 

If you're asking about homeschooling curriculum, we used Singapore Math with all our kids in a homeschooling environment. They didn't start systematic work with a math curriculum until they were at a Grade 2-3 level. We used the basic Primary Math 3rd Edition or US Edition, primarily the workbooks, although we had the textbooks available. It was very inexpensive (about $30/year). 

It was a good fit for my kids, who are precocious in math, strong abstract thinkers and need little repetition. We spent a fair bit of time prior to starting the Singapore curriculum doing lots of math play and work with manipulatives. Mostly informally, but sometimes inspired by the Miquon Math program. I think that was the most valuable math foundation they could have got.

Some schools here now use a Singaporean curriculum, but it was primarily introduced to North America by homeschooling parents in a home-based environment. You'll find that most homeschooling curriculum suppliers carry it.

Miranda

Mountain mama to two great kids and two great grown-ups

Tags
Learning Resources , Education
User Tag List