Mothering Featured Member: Welcoming AAK - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 11-23-2012, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)

In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I would like to start an MDC feature on AAK. I "met" AAK in the "Learning at Home" forums where she was tremendously helpful with advice for phonics instruction. I could tell that she had a very broad experience and knowledge base when it came to educating her child(ren). I am grateful for your help! 

MDC is featuring members and I chose AAK to feature and for a question and answer session. Fellow members, please feel free to join the discussion so we can learn more about AAK.

AAK...

• What originally drew you to MDC? 
  • What are the forums you frequent or frequented over the years? 
  • Have you ever met someone on MDC that became a friend IRL?
  • What where some of your favorite threads at MDC?
  • Would you care to tell us a little about your family? 
  • What are some of your "non-mama" interests? 
  • What are some of our favorite things about being a parent? 

Thank you, AAK, for participating as a featured member and for your contribution to MDC!  love.gif

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 11-23-2012, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)

AAK, I'm looking forward to learning more about you! Here's my question:

What is one thing that made you smile today?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 14 Old 11-23-2012, 12:04 PM
AAK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

I had a subscription to Mothering magazine.  Actually, before I got pregnant with my oldest, I worked at a library.  The mothers there were wonderful.  I learned so much from them.  I was introduced to normal breasfeeding, babywearing, homebirth, real homeschooling, and AP parenting through them.  Our library had a subscription to Mothering, and one of the mothers recommended it to me.  I was hooked.

Currently, I am on Learning at Home the most.  I also peek in at both the Childhood and the Teenage years forums as well as the one about Books or Crafts.  You can find me on the Vegetarian boards although I am not a true veg yet.  Our family is slowly shifting to a veggie focused diet.  In the past, I enjoyed the due date clubs and breastfeeding.  I also used to frequent the Parents of Gifted board, but not so much now.  Also, if I ever need to learn about something that there is a board for, I will go and see what I can find out.

Nope, but I have many friends IRL that turned out to also be on MDC.

I don't know.  In the past, I remember starting a thread about the most surprising outcome of a Christmas present.  I started it because I bought my dd something that I really thought would be great--it turned out to be terrible.  On the flip side, my parents got my dd a toy that I expected to break immediately and it was wonderful.  That was a fun thread.  I also really like the threads that help me plan my school year.  I like to know what has worked for others and what hasn't.  I also like to know "why" to see if their experience can help me make a good choice for my girls. 

Sure, I have three daughters.  There are roughly three years between each of them.  The first and last are 6yrs minus one day apart.  I am also from a family of three girls, so it seems normal to me.  I married my high school sweetheart a few years out of high school.  We recently celebrated our 17th anniversary.  I homeschool the two oldest; if/when the littlest one wants to come home for school, she will.  We have two dogs, three cats and love to spend time outdoors together.

I love to read!  It is nice when I get the chance to read something purely for the joy of it.  I also enjoy crafts, quilting, theater, biking, swimming, gardening, traveling, and warm weather!

That one is hard.  I love being a mom, but it is hard to explain why.  My girls are wonderful.  I am truly blessed, they respond well to my husband and I so I don't feel like we are in battle with them.  It feels like an honor to guide them through the process of growing up.  They share many of my interests, and many of my husband's interests, so we both get the chance to teach them things that we love.  

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#4 of 14 Old 11-23-2012, 12:07 PM
AAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyMommy View Post

AAK, I'm looking forward to learning more about you! Here's my question:

What is one thing that made you smile today?

This morning the girls and I decided to put our Christmas decorations up.  It was so wonderful to have them all eager and able to help.  But what really made me smile was hearing their conversations as they worked together to make a display.  It was fun to hear their memories of past holidays, as well as hear them cooperate while handling their task.smile.gif

Amy

#5 of 14 Old 11-23-2012, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

I had a subscription to Mothering magazine.  Actually, before I got pregnant with my oldest, I worked at a library.  The mothers there were wonderful.  I learned so much from them.  I was introduced to normal breasfeeding, babywearing, homebirth, real homeschooling, and AP parenting through them.  Our library had a subscription to Mothering, and one of the mothers recommended it to me.  I was hooked.

• Cool! What a wonderful way to be introduced to Mothering.
  • What have been some of your favorite parenting books over the years? 

Currently, I am on Learning at Home the most.  I also peek in at both the Childhood and the Teenage years forums as well as the one about Books or Crafts.  You can find me on the Vegetarian boards although I am not a true veg yet.  Our family is slowly shifting to a veggie focused diet.  In the past, I enjoyed the due date clubs and breastfeeding.  I also used to frequent the Parents of Gifted board, but not so much now.  Also, if I ever need to learn about something that there is a board for, I will go and see what I can find out.

• When did you feel you were ready to make the switch over to the teen years section for your oldest? Would you share what prompted making that move? (I am making that gradual transition myself) 

Nope, but I have many friends IRL that turned out to also be on MDC.

• thumb.gif

I don't know.  In the past, I remember starting a thread about the most surprising outcome of a Christmas present.  I started it because I bought my dd something that I really thought would be great--it turned out to be terrible.  On the flip side, my parents got my dd a toy that I expected to break immediately and it was wonderful.  That was a fun thread.  I also really like the threads that help me plan my school year.  I like to know what has worked for others and what hasn't.  I also like to know "why" to see if their experience can help me make a good choice for my girls.

• If you can find that Christmas thread it would be fun to link to -- timely!  

Sure, I have three daughters.  There are roughly three years between each of them.  The first and last are 6yrs minus one day apart.  I am also from a family of three girls, so it seems normal to me.  I married my high school sweetheart a few years out of high school.  We recently celebrated our 17th anniversary.  I homeschool the two oldest; if/when the littlest one wants to come home for school, she will.  We have two dogs, three cats and love to spend time outdoors together.

• Sounds like a lovely, happy family! 

I love to read!  It is nice when I get the chance to read something purely for the joy of it.  I also enjoy crafts, quilting, theater, biking, swimming, gardening, traveling, and warm weather!

• What is your all time favorite book? 
  • What book did you read most recently (for the joy of it) 
  • Which activity do you most enjoy spending with your family? 
  • Which activity do you enjoy doing by yourself? 

That one is hard.  I love being a mom, but it is hard to explain why.  My girls are wonderful.  I am truly blessed, they respond well to my husband and I so I don't feel like we are in battle with them.  It feels like an honor to guide them through the process of growing up.  They share many of my interests, and many of my husband's interests, so we both get the chance to teach them things that we love.  

• Are there some interests your children have that kind of surprise you? 
  • Do you feel they are growing up fast? 
  • Is there a particular age of childhood that you especially love? 
  • Is there one you find challenging? 

#6 of 14 Old 11-23-2012, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)

Thanks so much for sharing your life and interests with us. We are so glad to have you as a member of the Mothering Community! love.gif

I'd love to see that Christmas thread too!

#7 of 14 Old 11-24-2012, 09:03 AM
AAK

• What have been some of your favorite parenting books over the years? 

My top parenting books have been:  The Baby Book, The No-Cry Sleep Solution, and Kid Cooperation

• When did you feel you were ready to make the switch over to the teen years section for your oldest? Would you share what prompted making that move? (I am making that gradual transition myself) 

I guess I starting shifting there when my dd was 10.  The discussions in the Childhood Years started to seem irrelevant and a bit repetitious.  While we/she wasn't really dealing with the stuff on the teen board yet, I was starting to wonder about many of the discussions on it.  So, it kinda prepped me for those years.  The board started to be more and more relevant for us when she was nearing 12.  Although, truthfully, the issues that are "tween" and the issues that are "teen" can be worlds apart.  

• If you can find that Christmas thread it would be fun to link to -- timely!  

It is pretty ancient, but I will try to find it.

• What is your all time favorite book? 

Oh, just one!  How do I choose just one?  

• What book did you read most recently (for the joy of it) 

I recently read "The Selection" by Kiera Cass.  It was in my dd's reading pile, but I snatched it up and read it first.  I really enjoyed it.  It seems at first like it should be terrilby predictable, and some of it is.  Yet, there are these little threads of deeper themes that run through it.  My daughter just finished it too and we had a great discussion (not schooly discussion).  

• Which activity do you most enjoy spending with your family? 

Camping.  My parents would be shocked because I wasn't much of a camper as a kid.  Then again, we do it differently--I don't plan out each minute :-)  When we camp, we literally put the stress of the "at-home" world behind us and enjoy nature.  We bike, hike, swim, do campfires, read, play games, and veg out.  We often go with friends.  We have figured out which families work well for that.  Our kids love exploring with the other kids; we like chatting and sharing duties.  We also all get a chance to do nothing for a bit.

• Which activity do you enjoy doing by yourself? If I am doing a craft project that I need to concentrate on, I want to be left alone.  I also like to be ignored when I read.  And, part of what got me into biking was the opportunity for early morning rides by myself.  My oldest is old enough to babysit, early morning was a consistently available time for me, and I had a bike.  It started out as a way to add activity to my life, but ended up being almost a meditation on wheels.  It is great.  I bike with the kids too, but my solo rides are nearly sacred.

• Are there some interests your children have that kind of surprise you?

Yes.  My second child really loves to sculp things.  She also loves to see how strong she can get, she is fascinated with climbing ropes, poles, etc.  She would love it if we could afford aeriol gymnastics classes.  

My oldest got really into duct tape.  I realize that it has been a "fad" for a while, but she took it further and developed a product line and sells to local people.  That shocked me.

My youngest hasn't surprised me yet in that regard.  I'm sure she will though.

• Do you feel they are growing up fast? 

Fast, yes.  Time flies.  Too fast, no, I don't.  For a while, my oldest seemed to be.  I really didn't like the age 6 on her.  It seemed that 6-8 she just wanted to be older.  Now, she seems to realize that childhood will be gone before she knows it.  She is very in the moment, very mature, but she isn't growing up too fast.  

• Is there a particular age of childhood that you especially love? 

I have really enjoyed most ages, but I do seem fond of 7-10.  They are fairly capable, can be reasoned with, and haven't yet got too caught up with what other's do.

• Is there one you find challenging? 

Six years old!  That year was challenging for all three of my children.  My youngest will be seven in January.  She is finally coming out of what I call the "6 year old funk".

#8 of 14 Old 12-04-2012, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)

I've really enjoyed getting to know you. Thanks so much for entertaining our questions. love.gif

If I may ask you one myself, what do you and your family do special during the holiday season? 

#9 of 14 Old 12-04-2012, 10:18 PM
AAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Mosher View Post

I've really enjoyed getting to know you. Thanks so much for entertaining our questions. love.gif

If I may ask you one myself, what do you and your family do special during the holiday season? 

We have a few traditions.  With a permit and a group of friends, we go into the woods to find our tree.  This year we had a campfire, etc.  We go high enough in elevation to find snow and the kids play and sled.  Throughout the season we try to find ways to help those less fortunate, this varies from year to year.  The girls love to do holiday baking/giving.  We also like to see a local Christmas/holiday show, usually a Children's theater production.  As we get very near to Christmas we tour the lights--there are some favorite neighborhoods that we come back to each year.  Generally, dh's brothers from out of town come in for the holiday and we do some family fun activities while they are here.  We try to spend time with both sides of our family on Christmas.  Finally, we host a New Year's Eve party for our friends and their families.  

Amy

#10 of 14 Old 12-05-2012, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Sounds lovely, AAK! You are generous to spend so much time on the holidays and hosting for friends. 

#11 of 14 Old 12-05-2012, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

AAK, what are some of your favorite things about homeschooling? What are your strengths? I can tell from your posts on the thread I started that you have a great deal of knowledge about phonics education. Did you develop all those skills as a homeschooling mom or did you have some training before homeschooling? 

#12 of 14 Old 12-05-2012, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Another question for you, AAK! As someone new to homeschooling, I'm curious about what the best and worst advice about homeschooling you've gotten or given are?

PS Thanks for the book recommendation! I've requested "The Selection" from my local library.

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#13 of 14 Old 12-09-2012, 08:27 AM
AAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

AAK, what are some of your favorite things about homeschooling? What are your strengths? I can tell from your posts on the thread I started that you have a great deal of knowledge about phonics education. Did you develop all those skills as a homeschooling mom or did you have some training before homeschooling? 

The phonics skills were developed as a homeschool mom.  And truthfully, they wouldn't have been developed except that my 2nd dd needed me to know.  

Hmmm, strengths. . . I can be pretty good at research, I have developed (didn't come with this) a fair amount of patience.  I have always looked for the "hands-on" experience and have never cared if something made a bit of a mess (to me that is a strength).  I am not an artist, but I am crafty.  Academically speaking, I have always been very good at math and can break it down easily to teach. 

I do think that being a librarian helped developed the research skills.  It also allowed me to meet a bunch of homeschool families so I got to see the variety that was out there.  They were helpful in breaking that "homeschool" stereotype.

Amy

#14 of 14 Old 12-09-2012, 08:39 AM
AAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyMommy View Post

Another question for you, AAK! As someone new to homeschooling, I'm curious about what the best and worst advice about homeschooling you've gotten or given are?

PS Thanks for the book recommendation! I've requested "The Selection" from my local library.

The best advice has been to be flexible, play to the child's strengths, and to take some time for myself.  The last one really has helped me stay sane.  It has gotten easier now though because my kids are older.  I go out to coffee a couple times a month with a friend.  The girls work independently while I am gone and I feel recharged when I get back.  I think that many people are hesitant to homeschool because they worry that they will get overwhelmed with being with their children all day, everyday.  This could happen (IMO) if their is no support system or if they don't remember to take a bit of time for themselves.  

The worst advice. . .I don't know.  I don't know if these were meant to be advice, but I don't like tips/tricks regarding socialization.  I also hate it when my mom (who tries to be supportive) says things like, "I understand why you brought Anna home, and Kayla clearly needed to be here, but you will keep Maya in school, right."  That is usually after she comments on how well my older two are doing.  Ugh!  Also, she likes to remind me that going to high school is important.  (I don't agree, but my kids will have a choice.)  And, finally, she reminds me that I don't have to "do it all" and while I realize her intent is to be supportive, it really annoys me.

Amy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page