So Many Science Options Out There! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-25-2012, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I've been looking at Noeo Science and Home Science Adventures. I've also looked at Real Science 4 Kids. We use a classical/living books approach thus far. We'll be doing 1st grade next year. I know a lot of people piecemeal it at this age, but doing his Kindergarten year has taught me that I need things ready to go or they won't get done. I run a full-time daycare and homeschool so time is limited! 

My son is very bouncy and hands on. He's intensely curious and loves working with his hands. He's also a sponge and is able to soak up quite a bit of knowledge.

Home Science Adventures seems awesome because it's so experiment based from what I can tell. My only concern is that it might not be meaty enough. While it doesn't have to be super deep at this age, I want the underlying principles of the experiments to be well taught. My science knowledge would not be sufficient enough to wing it!

Noeo I really like the look of. I love that it incorporates a living books approach with biographies included. There are experiment kits included with Noeo. I'm not sure how much of the time is focused on reading and how much on experiments. I do like that Noeo focuses on one area per year as I think that will give us greater depth. I just want to make sure that it would be hands on enough for us.

Real Science 4 kids I haven't looked at in awhile, but I remember being impressed with that one also. I think I wasn't sure with that one how much time is devoted to reading and how much to experiments.

I want to avoid anything that's going to feel too much like a textbook. I want to encourage my son's love of hands on discovery, but I do want something that's well-rounded that will give him depth.

Thoughts? Does anyone have experience with these curriculums? I'd love some insight.

Crystal (34) married to LPN DH (38) , mama to (7/07), (1/09), and (7/11) and (12/28)
#2 of 7 Old 11-25-2012, 10:09 PM
AAK

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Real Science 4 Kids will feel like a text book, because that is what it is.  

You didn't mention, but we love Real Science Odyssey!  There isn't a text.  The manual includes a student page, lots of labs, and info for the 'teacher'.  It also has a book list for each unit.  These are books that you will look for at your library and you can do as many or few of these that you want.  It is a very hands on, low writing, fun program.  

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#3 of 7 Old 11-26-2012, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the feedback on Real Science 4 Kids. Also, I had looked at REAL Science Odyssey in the past and thought it looked great. I'll have to look at it again.

So for me it seems it would possibly be a choice between REAL Science Odyssey, Noeo Science, and Home Science Adventures.

Crystal (34) married to LPN DH (38) , mama to (7/07), (1/09), and (7/11) and (12/28)
#4 of 7 Old 11-26-2012, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

I took another look at REAL Science Odyssey and I remember thinking that it might have too much of a textbook feel when I looked at it. I didn't know they included booklists. I didn't see that on the website. So are the booklists an integral part of the curriculum or considered something extra as interests dictate? How much hands on experimentiation is done? Just a few Q's off of the top of my head. I'm sure I have more...lol!

#5 of 7 Old 11-28-2012, 08:22 AM
AAK

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimming-duck View Post

I took another look at REAL Science Odyssey and I remember thinking that it might have too much of a textbook feel when I looked at it. I didn't know they included booklists. I didn't see that on the website. So are the booklists an integral part of the curriculum or considered something extra as interests dictate? How much hands on experimentiation is done? Just a few Q's off of the top of my head. I'm sure I have more...lol!

The booklist is at the front and it is really up to you how many you use.  I think it would be a pretty skimpy program if you didn't use any books.  Sometimes I can't find books off the list and will make substitutes on my own.  However, I do let interest be our guide.  If my child really likes a topic, we will read many books and do the ones that have extra activities, if not, maybe just one or two.  They also have a list of websites, but we don't use that as much.  There are LOTS of experiments/labs/activities.  That was my reason for buying it.  My dd still remembers making a watercycle in a bowl--it was cool.  

The best thing though, is that they offer a "try before you buy" option.  This is great because it isn't just a sneak peak, but a good chunk of the book.  It gave us nine units of the life science, complete units.  It is the only program I know that really does let you try it first.  I didn't care for their history and was very thankful for the try before you buy program!

I wish I had feedback for you about the other programs you mentioned, but I just haven't found the need to change again since I found this.  It is the perfect fit for my middle dd, but she is starting to age out of it and we will need to change next year.  

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#6 of 7 Old 12-17-2012, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am really enjoying Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding with my kids.  We are doing 2nd grade and working through the first book at a rate of about one lesson per week.  I like it because it is very open ended and leaves me a lot of control while providing a framework.  It is somewhat work intensive on my part but not too bad.  I read the chapter for each lesson and write myself a quick outline, then I get the recommended books from the library and get together materials for the experiments.  My kids are getting a great foundation in Science.  My brother who is studying Engineering is really impressed with what they are learning.   It also has the added bonus of being very budget friendly - about 20 bucks for K-2 curriculum with little other expense.

#7 of 7 Old 12-19-2012, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeleyp View Post

I am really enjoying Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding with my kids.  We are doing 2nd grade and working through the first book at a rate of about one lesson per week.  I like it because it is very open ended and leaves me a lot of control while providing a framework.  It is somewhat work intensive on my part but not too bad.  I read the chapter for each lesson and write myself a quick outline, then I get the recommended books from the library and get together materials for the experiments.  My kids are getting a great foundation in Science.  My brother who is studying Engineering is really impressed with what they are learning.   It also has the added bonus of being very budget friendly - about 20 bucks for K-2 curriculum with little other expense.

Do you find that it is good for kids who are "science-y"? My son is really into science and experiments. He will be 5 in a couple of weeks. This year, we are playing around with Exploring Science which is from www.elementalscience.com. I for one, think it doesn't go too far in depth for him. For a child who isn't into science, it would be great, and cover the basics just right. Of course, this is for his age group. Maybe I should have went up a grade level? Sorry, to highjack.

I also like the looks of REAL Science Odyssey and have History Odyssey. I have the REAL Science 4 Kids biology book and don't plan to go further with it. It will end up being a supplemental book, at best. I am not a fan. My son had me read it to him in about 2-3 sittings. So, he's kind of past it.

OP: Good luck, science is a hard subject to find a good fit (for us). The other subjects have been easier for us thus far.

Edited for clarification.

intactivist.gifwinner.jpg fambedsingle2.gif  learning.gif homeschool.gif buddamomimg1.png gd.gif delayedvax.gif selectivevax.gif  supermod.gif (Yeah right)

angel3.gif loss 2/28/03           photosmile2.gif  ds 1/5/08             asl.gif dd 2/8/10

When we know better, we do better. ~Maya Angelou 

Tags
Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page