Kindergarten Ideas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-07-2012, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all, 

I'm pulling ds out of kindergarten next week because it's crushing his love of learning. I'm hoping we'll find a better school for him in the fall, but in the mean time, I just want him to re-gain his love of learning. Right now he's really afraid to do any activities because he's afraid his teacher will shout at him for doing it wrong (which she does). 

There's so much information out there that I'm feeling overwhelmed, and I'm wondering if you have suggestions for fun learning activities? I'm planning on having a library day, telling math stories, writing letters to friends, doing science experiments, and playing board games, but that's all I've got in my repertoire. I am not very crafty at all! 

I guess dh is afraid that ds will fall behind, so I want to allay dh's fears a little bit, too. 

Thanks!

Tricia

Trish: Mama to Buckaroo , Sweet P :, and Obo Difficult wife of Rick :
#2 of 8 Old 12-07-2012, 11:45 AM

Wow, that was a mean teacher!

How about some art activities, like painting or drawing? It might help your son express his feeling and get over that teacher. You don't have to be particularly crafty.

#3 of 8 Old 12-07-2012, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Yes! All of the art at his school was cut and paste, so I want him to be able to get messy.

#4 of 8 Old 12-08-2012, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunabelly View Post

Yes! All of the art at his school was cut and paste, so I want him to be able to get messy.

This is one of the many reasons we are probably pulling my DD out of kindergarten, the only art is coloring pre-drawn pictures! I found a great website called www.kinderart.com , lots of great ideas. The other day we did Jackson Pollock style paintings outside in the driveway and she loved it! I also find it helpful to just have lots of craft and art supplies on hand that she can pull out whenever she wants and let her do her own thing (crayons, paper, paint, sponges, scissors, glue, pastels, chalk, pencils, modeling clay, stamps, ect.)

Granola-ey, crunchy, marathoning, natural living Christian mamatreehugger.gif down south with DHguitar.gif and DD1 (6)dust.gif, DD2 (2)energy.gif, and DD3 babygirl.gif.    homebirth.jpgwinner.jpgcd.giffemalesling.GIFgoorganic.jpghomeschool.gif
#5 of 8 Old 12-08-2012, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

For art, I have also enjoyed using http://www.deepspacesparkle.com for art projects.  Loads of fun ideas there.  Don't feel like you have to  pack your day with stuff.  Your son can also do his own things.  Explore his surroundings, work on an art project, creating his own play etc...  

Take a step back and let your days unfold and see how it goes first before you start filling it with stuff.  See what he is capable of doing on his own and then supplement his activities. Good luck :) 

#6 of 8 Old 12-08-2012, 07:34 PM

Art

Clay
Glue and glitter
Crayons, coloring books, paper

Science

Magic School Bus books
Daisies and colored water
Oil and colored water
water and objects of different densities

Language Arts

Books of all sorts!
Read to your child daily!
Make up stories
Talk about all sorts of things (using proper grammar)

Music

Listen to all sorts of music

PhysEd

Outdoor games of various types

I think you get the idea
#7 of 8 Old 12-20-2012, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for these suggestions! It's going really well so far. He vetoes anything that sounds too much like school, but this morning he asked to make crepes, and now he knows how many tablespoons are in a 1/2 cup-- oh, and we listened to jazz. 

=) Tricia

#8 of 8 Old 12-21-2012, 06:21 AM

Why dont you consider homeschooling him, it sounds as if it suits you very well...hehe! Something to consider hey! My boy is 4, and I had him in a school one morning, the teacher smacked his hand because he did not want to hold the pencil correctly. As he has NEVER been in a school, and I have never forced him, I was very upset. Now he went to a holiday club and the teacher was going on because he cannot cut well. Mmm, I am homeschooling him, where he enjoys learning at HIS PACE. Good luck. I just love this webpage, super ideas. http://www.confessionsofahomeschooler.com/blog/category/art

Tags
Learning Resources , Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page