Happy Monday! What are your homeschooled kids doing today? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 12-10-2012, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

So far today:

I read the first section of Story of the World chapter 7 to the kids (slavery in the 1600s)and we talked about slavery.

12yods did lesson 29 in Saxon Math 87. This morning, he read chapter 2 of The Hobbit and typed a summary. He also read Christmas in the Big House, Christmas in the Quarters (about slaves at Christmastime). He still needs to work on his Latin and do a lesson in Writing With Skill. 

9yodd did lesson 33 in Saxon Math 3 and two pages in Spectrum Spelling 4. She and I need to do First Language Lessons and Writing With Ease together.

7yods drilled sight word cards with me and practiced reading to dh. He spent a couple of minutes doing math on www.ixl.com 

5yods did a page in Spectrum Reading K and a page in Kumon Simple Addition.

The 9yo, 7yo and 5yo are all painting pictures at the dining room table right now. Once they're done painting, dd and I are going to make fudge together, baby permitting. 

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 12-10-2012, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD (7) did half a page of handwriting practice.

That's it.

I should be fired.

#3 of 10 Old 12-10-2012, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellinghamCrunchie View Post

DD (7) did half a page of handwriting practice.

That's it.

I should be fired.

My kids did even less than that - just one sentence of handwriting practice each.  Actually, I don't think DD has even done hers yet.  She's 9 and her daily sentence is to practice cursive.  DS is 7 and he's still practicing correct letter formation and capitalization.  He hates to write, so I normally just have him do a sentence a day.  We'll have some read-aloud time before bed (we're just finishing Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince) and that will be about it for educational activities for today.  Oh, DD practiced her recorder a bit, too.  And the kids drew pictures on the inside of the big cardboard box our new oven came in, which is being used as a sort of playhouse in our living room (until this weekend, when it goes to the dump.)  Tomorrow we may do more.  Some of our days look a lot more educational than today.

#4 of 10 Old 12-10-2012, 06:06 PM

We went to a friend's house and made a ginerbread house. And then brought the friend back to our house for dinner and to eat the gingerbread house we made 2 weeks ago.
#5 of 10 Old 12-10-2012, 07:11 PM

bit of handwriting

language practice (adding s /es to base words)

piano practice

multiplication practice : showing problems using smarties left over from the creation of the gingerbread house

answer some questions over The Mouse and the Motorcycle

not sure what else.

Little sister practiced some one -to- one correspondence to 20, and some letter formation and letter sounds. She colored a lot, and I read with her.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#6 of 10 Old 12-11-2012, 09:15 PM

Both boys did one page of math each (10 problems).  DS6 is addition and subtraction, DS8 is division today.  They both used unifix cubes for the more difficult ones.  

They did some writing.  DS6 wrote one sentence on paper and typed two sentences on the computer, both times copying what I had written for him.  DS8 wrote one paragraph in a story he is working on.  He also copied down some words for spelling practice.  His spelling is atrocious.  He attended K-2nd at public school where they encourage the students to just write and spell phonetically, which is fine I guess.  Some days all the spelling errors really bug me and some days I'm fine with it and I trust he'll spell better as he reads more and more.

I read a couple chapters out loud to them from a book we're reading.  We're working our way through the Little House in the Woods etc series by Laura Ingalls Wilder.  I loved these books and read them all multiple times when I was growing up, but I really doubt they'll have the interest to read these themselves when they reach that reading level, so I'm taking the opportunity to read these to them.  This, along with reading a lot of books about Native Americans is our main history right now.  Teaching about 'Simple Living' is really important to me and I think historical lives of both First Nations peoples and pioneers embody these ideas well.  

Then we made salt dough ornaments.  That was a lot of fun.  We are going to paint and decorate them tomorrow.  We'll keep a few for our own tree and give the rest away as gifts.  We also made a few Christmas cards.  

Beautiful Day in Paradise  @BeautifulDayMom  facebook.com/beautifuldaymama

#7 of 10 Old 12-12-2012, 02:41 AM

My kids haven't been out of school longl so we're still in the deschooling phase.  Yesterday they had a budget for Christmas decorations and they went shopping with their dad to get what they wanted.  Then they put up the tree and decorated it themselves with some bought stuff and some things they made themselves.  And there's paper chains that we made together up too.

They're lounging around reading now and later they're going to the park with the dog then on to the museum.  

#8 of 10 Old 12-12-2012, 05:23 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
We are going to Disneyland for a few hours before driving home. This not having to be at the mercy of the school schedule stuff is awesome. The park is empty.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#9 of 10 Old 12-12-2012, 09:06 AM

Well, it is not Monday anymore but today (Wednesday) we have

Read 4 chapters in Life of Fred.

Ds7 did 2 pages in HWOT

And that's all, lol.

Ds9 is about to do 3 creative thinking pages, and read.

Ds7 is about to do spelling.

#10 of 10 Old 12-12-2012, 10:04 AM

There is a photo on the camera from when I was out.  Our 5 year old read some Calvin and Hobbes, liked a thing in it where Calvin put his clothes on upside down so his trousers were over his head and arms, shoes on his hands, gloves on his feet etc.  He then went off to get the camera and his dad, put all his clothes on like that and got his dad to take a picture like that.

I LOVE that he did all that just spontaneously because he could.  And all the skills involved.  And seeing it through till there was evidence of it that he thought was good enough!

They also played monopoly - which the eldest hasn't twigged is developing his maths!  Developing his ability to lose graciously is on the list too...

Tags
Education , Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page