Mothering Forum banner

Online reading game like Reading Eggs

831 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  tbone_kneegrabber 
#1 ·
I'm looking for another online/computer game style "learn to read" program for ds. He's been playing reading eggs and just finished all the maps. The thing is he can't really read yet, but he has gotten better at multiple choice (sigh!)

He also plays dreambox which I actually like a lot better (granted it is math and not reading) because it isn't as easy for him to just guess and move ahead levels.

I know he's suppose to go back on reading eggs and do the less multiple times but once he's 'cracked the egg' his desire to do the same lesson again. He can also just guess and guess and guess and reading eggs lets him move ahead.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone like anything else.

#3 ·
There is also headsprout (they supposedly offer a guarantee). They also have two packages.

We use the Explode the Code workbooks, but there is also an online version.

However, I think most of the online programs are similar in that the child can move ahead by guessing correctly. I think of them as a supplement to reading.

Amy

#5 ·
Personally, I'm a huge fan of Jolly Phonics (though it's not a computer game, there are Youtube videos- each phoneme has a song and an action).

See if your local library has access to Tumblebooks too. I'll be back with more once I have the change to get on the family computer and raid DS's folder.

#6 ·
Thanks so far.

For the record we do other stuff too! Although I do appreciate all suggestions. The reason I was looking specifically for a computer game was for the times when I really need ds to self entertain or when he's sick etc.

I think my library just subscribed to tumble books. I've been meaning to look into it. Thanks for the reminder.

He tried out K5 learning yesterday. I wasn't super impressed but it did start him at beginning K and then later assess him at early 1st so I think the less were particularly easy that he was doing and that's why it felt a bit annoying to listen to (LET'S FIND THE LETTER B type stuff. A little too happy and excited voices but he didn't seem to mind.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.