Thinking about bringing my girls back home to school.... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-16-2012, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We tried to homeschool 4 years ago and it didn't go well. Now we have a 3rd grader and a Kindergartener. They both attend a Chicago public school and it's not working very well either. I have them home for 3 weeks now on Christmas vacation and I am going to do a trial run of what homeschool might look like for us. I have some giant workbooks that we bought from Costco this summer so we are going to use what we have and make a small go of it. I have not really told them that I am seeing if I think we might do homeschool again, just that we are going to have some fun with learning over the break from school. I pray it goes well because I never wanted to send them to public school. I don't know how they would feel about homeschooling because they like their friends and teachers but we are moving in March so they will have to transfer schools anyway. If we can make this work now is the perfect time to start.

Anyway I just wanted to say hello and dig around this board for some useful info and support :)

Amy

Amy praying.gifbfinfant.gifslinggirl.gif familybed2.gif saynovax.gifsewmachine.gif crochetsmilie.gifWAHM to energy.gifElle 3/2/2004, joy.gifMeadow 12/02/2006, bouncy.gifAzaliah 4/09/2009, and baby.gif Olive 09/23/2011. I have been partners.gif married to my husband Bill since 2/22/03.....

#2 of 5 Old 12-16-2012, 10:43 PM

Welcome back!   I hope your Christmas "vacation" goes well and homeschooling works for your family.  I think what comforts me is remembering that no education decisions we make have to be forever.  We do what works for us right now.  Next week, next month, next year we can make a new decision depending on our needs and circumstances.  I does seem like it might make your move easier, especially since it is in the middle of the traditional school year.  Trying to point out the positives of homeschooling....schedule, making your own choices, etc. will help. 

Let us know how it goes!  You have come to the right place!  :)

Mama to Ainsley (7/01) , Finley (10/06) and Jade (10/06)

#3 of 5 Old 12-17-2012, 06:55 AM

We are pulling DD out of kindergarten to homeschool in the new year. I was also thinking homeschool wouldn't work for us but I have been very unhappy with public school after trying it. I would think about what didn't work 4 years ago and why, and what is different now, and how things can be done differently to make this attempt successful. Would an unschooling approach work better or do your kids thrive on more structure? Are there any homeschool groups in your area that can help you with the transition?

Granola-ey, crunchy, marathoning, natural living Christian mamatreehugger.gif down south with DHguitar.gif and DD1 (6)dust.gif, DD2 (2)energy.gif, and DD3 babygirl.gif.    homebirth.jpgwinner.jpgcd.giffemalesling.GIFgoorganic.jpghomeschool.gif
#4 of 5 Old 12-17-2012, 07:02 AM

Since you are moving anyway you could always either pull them now in anticipation of the move or if they are resistant and want to finish the time they have then just was until you move and don't enroll them in their new school. Finish out the school year at home March-June. You can always enroll then in September if it doesn't work out.

You can frame it as not wanting them to have to learn a new teacher, classroom, school in the middle of the year.
onatightrope likes this.
#5 of 5 Old 12-19-2012, 02:52 PM

You may want to consider if your children need some deschooling time before you jump into any instruction.  Kids who are looking forward to a holiday, may not take to educational experiences, and especially workbooks. 

Just food for thought.

Tags
Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page