ipad apps, specifically base 10 blocks - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-06-2013, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Have any of you used base 10 block apps?

I was considering purchasing some in real life, but then stumbled across a few apps. I'm wondering if one is better than the other (since they all cost money and don't have free trial versions) and if the apps do a well enough job that they could replace an expensive manipulative.

....also curious about ten frame apps or any other of your favourite!

Thanks!

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#2 of 3 Old 01-06-2013, 12:32 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)

Sorry, I can't help you with specific apps. But I just wanted to make a case for the real blocks. I think a huge part of their value comes from the tactile, kinesthetic, 3-dimensional nature of a real manipulative. I think an app could be a useful adjunct, but they shouldn't replace the real thing. 

The real thing is more likely to be used for play. My kids built all sorts of cool towers and arrays and pyramids with them. Even if you can do this with the virtual ones, it's unlikely that your kids will take nearly as much delight, nor that they will experience the full 3D effect of real contructions. Observations like that four 10-rods as vertical struts between two 100-flats form a structure that is two units taller than it is wide. Building a pyramidal tower can lead kids to understand something about geometric series. Feeling a litre or a millilitre cube in your hands as a child many times is so much more useful a reference imprint than memorizing as a tween that 10 cm x 10 cm x 10 cm is a litre and 1 x 1 x 1 cm is a millilitre, and that there are a thousand of the latter in the former. The play with real objects sets up all sorts of fundamental conceptual learning.

Real blocks will get used more, and differently. I don't think the virtual ones should replace the real ones. JMHO.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#3 of 3 Old 01-06-2013, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think so too. I thought they'd be hundreds of dollars, but surprisingly, they're not! A simple set is only $25. Yay!!

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

Tags
Learning Resources , Education , Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page