Responding to the Preschool Inquiries - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-10-2013, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

For those who choose not to enroll their children in preschool how have you responded to inquiries? I usually just say, 'no, we are not enrolling in preschool' and leave it at that, I would elaborate if anyone asked though. Just wondering how others have replied when asked.  I suppose the standard 'this is working for us right now' would also work.

How have you responded?

#2 of 6 Old 01-10-2013, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My oldest started PS at 4.   I got the questions starting at age 3.   I just told them he's got his whole life ahead of him, full of school.  He's still little.  The only reason I enrolled him at 4 is so that he could have a bit more speech/peer interaction.  He had an articulation delay. 

With my youngest, she will be 3 in March, I don't plan on sending her anytime soon.  When the questions come up, I will tell them the same.  

I don't generally care what people think or say tho.  

Mommy to 3 gifts from God! 
Nate dog 5/15/04
Lil' G 11/8/07
My Shamrock 3/17/10
ribbonpink.gif
#3 of 6 Old 01-10-2013, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)

we say - "we are happy and so is our DS".........end of story- if they keep asking, we do say all our reasons and after hearing it they usually don't say anymore- we don't give out info unless we want to-not everyone needs to know this reason or the reason why we do other things

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#4 of 6 Old 01-10-2013, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

This generally came up at story times or the like with other mom's of similar aged kids and I would just say "We are planning to homeschool, what about you?" and it was never a big deal.  Whether they actually meant it or not, I have only had positive responses when I have told other mom friends/acquaintences that we are homeschooling (lucky me, I would guess others have more negative stories to share!)

If it was more like strangers making conversation, I would just say not yet or that we were planning to homeschool depending on how much I felt like chatting at the moment :)

Single mama namaste.gif to dd dust.gifand ds fencing.gif, loving my dsd always reading.gif .
#5 of 6 Old 01-12-2013, 10:14 PM

planning  to homeschool

Mama to DD(4) energy.gif&  DS baby.gif

#6 of 6 Old 01-13-2013, 07:29 AM

I responded the same way you did. Nobody ever asked for elaboration during the preschool years but if they had I would have went the "we mutually enjoy this arrangement" line of explanation and then bean dipped if anything other questions came up beyond genuine curiosity. 

~Daisy~

Unschooling Mother to S, my 6yo "Moon Farmer"energy.gif

Tags
Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page