Preschool or homeschool? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-16-2013, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have 3 little ones- 5.5 DD, 2.5 DS, 5mo DD. 

My eldest went to a local preschool (Abbott funded- so free for us- and high quality staff, curriculum, etc.) full time when she was 3 and 4yrs old. Our public schools around here for Kindergarten are mediocre quality at best. I stay home with my kids because I am blessed to be able to. We ultimately decided to try homeschooling DD for Kindergarten this year and see how it goes. 

It has been a good year, and we plan on continuing next year, I believe. However, DS is now coming of age for the same preschool DD went to.

Heres the BIG QUESTION: Should I send him or keep him home?

I would really appreciate thoughts from anyone, or if you have gone through something similar. THANKS!!

Pros-

• More one on one time to focus on DDs homeschool work
  • DS gets a great solid base of education (really they teach up to K work) 
  • Lots of great play opportunities, peer/teacher interaction, independence, and fun toys we don't have at home
  • DS meets new friends and neighborhood kids
  • Can pull him out at any time if it doesn't seem like a good fit

Cons-

• DS is really bonded to DD, so I'm sure it will be a rough separation at first
  • Having to drop off and pick up twice a day (may interrupt nap schedule for youngest DD)
  • Bringing more sickness home

Mom to DD #1, DS #2 and DD #3; Part time dog trainer, full time baby trainer

#2 of 5 Old 01-16-2013, 08:01 AM

Well, I'm no expert, but just looking at your pros and cons list, it is very obvious that you see more benefits in sending him vs. keeping him home.  If it's a school you like, and one you had good experiences with, then I would say send him!  Like you said, you can always pull him out if it isn't working.  Also, it sounds like you have your hands full, with a baby at home and homeschooling a first grader-  This might be a real blessing!  

#3 of 5 Old 01-16-2013, 08:20 AM

I will add that I too have 3 kids, and have been in a similar situation, only it was my youngest who stayed home while his older brother went to Kindergarten.  It was a very lovely time for us-  My kindergartner was in an awesome school, and I had absolutely no worries about his time there- His teachers and the atmosphere of the school were everything I could ever hope for-  And the bonding time that happened between me and my youngest (who was 3-4 years at this time), was (and still is) a very cherished time-  I got to spend time with him in ways I wasn't able to before, he got my complete undivided attention, and I learned so much about him, and fell even more deeply in love with him and his growing self.  I am so, so grateful for that time we had together!  In fact, it was that experience that first started me on the path to homeschooling, because I became so attached to our time together and watching him grow and learn and experience the world.  

I guess what I'm trying to say is that this might be the only time where you have this luxury (of a good school I mean) to use to your advantage.  Think of how much more present and connected you can be with our oldest while her little brother is getting a great education simultaneously, in a positive environment where you can leave him in good conscience, knowing he is being well taken care of and having fun!

#4 of 5 Old 01-16-2013, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, mamahawk. Those are some great thoughts!! I definitely need the encouragement to move forward with it. I have separation anxiety too :)

Mom to DD #1, DS #2 and DD #3; Part time dog trainer, full time baby trainer

#5 of 5 Old 01-16-2013, 01:47 PM

I like homeschooling, and considered myself a homeschooling parent even when the kids were in the preschool age. If you want to have your child at home for preschool, there's no reason not to.  The schedule of drop off and pick up alone would make the choice for me, not counting the sickness and potential for other stress.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)

Tags
Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page