Enter to Win a Homeschool Curriculum and Gift Basket from Oak Meadow! - Page 12 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#331 of 597 Old 01-23-2013, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Why Homeschool? Because  I dont want my kids to be confined to a classroom  5 days a week for there entire childhood  when there is a whole big beautiful world out there to enjoy and learn from .

Because I want them to spend that time with me in a loving and comforting enviorment  free from peer presure and influence and the forced structure and rules of a school system

#332 of 597 Old 01-23-2013, 08:44 AM

There are many many reasons.  The top include getting to work at my children's own pace, not being subject to the school culture, focusing on what is interesting to the kids so they internalize learning as a positive part of life, actually spending time with the kids, teaching them to be self motivated rather than motivated by a grade, it goes on and on.

#333 of 597 Old 01-23-2013, 08:45 AM

Shared on my facebook page

#334 of 597 Old 01-23-2013, 08:51 AM

Why homeschool?

I want my child to have a creative education. An education that allows and encourages him to think for himself, think outside the box, build confidence and let his interests, potential and personality blossom.

#335 of 597 Old 01-23-2013, 08:53 AM

I just started homeschooling my 4 year old this past fall but we started our homeschooling conversation when she was born. We homeschool because we aren't happy with the school options in our area. We love aspects of Waldorf and Montessori approaches, but we couldn't afford private school, even if we lived in an area where that was an option. Also, we want a little more control over what our children learn and we want to tailor their educational experience to meet their needs. We are Eastern Orthodox, and we don't want missing school for Holy Week or Nativity to be a problem, instead, we can bring the rhythms of the church to their (DS is 14 months) school day as well. I would really love to win this!!!!

#336 of 597 Old 01-23-2013, 08:54 AM

Shared on my facebook page

#337 of 597 Old 01-23-2013, 08:55 AM

I enrolled my daughter in full-day public kindergarten this year, and I've watched her little spirit struggle so much.  She bemoans her lack of free time, the rush rush rush of every day, the stress of constant social interaction, and the relentless standardized testing that has infected the modern kindergarten classroom.  My heart breaks to see her days pass by so quickly, and this fall I intend to take her off the fast track to adulthood and enrich her home education with lots of time spent outdoors, meditation training, and all the countless adventures that happen outside the traditional classroom.  Thank you for the opportunity to win a free curriculum!   

#338 of 597 Old 01-23-2013, 08:56 AM

I posted this thread on my FB page.  

#339 of 597 Old 01-23-2013, 08:56 AM

Why homeschool?

So my son's education can be tailored to his learning style and change as his strengths, interests and passions grow and develop.

#340 of 597 Old 01-23-2013, 08:58 AM

shared on my fb

#341 of 597 Old 01-23-2013, 09:02 AM

Why Homeschool?

I homeschool to give us the freedom to explore the world outside the traditional boxes of education and personal growth. I homeschool because yesterday my daughter came in from outside with a tally chart announcing that they (she, 7, and her brother, 3) had found 10 signs of spring. We learn from exploring, observing, reading, and playing, they way humans are meant to learn.

#342 of 597 Old 01-23-2013, 09:02 AM

I started homeschooling out of financial necessity.  Fortunately, I've grown to love it.  I continue to homeschool because there are so many things I want to share with my kids that we never had time for when they were in school.  Long school days and homework took the place of nature walks, art projects, and science experiments "just for fun."  I've never been so aware of my children's strengths and weaknesses, so it challenges me to be creative in building them up, spiritually and intellectually.

#343 of 597 Old 01-23-2013, 09:09 AM

Why home school? Many reasons but mainly to continue the attachment philosophy I've established since birth & to be able to tailor the learning based on my sons needs & ability. Fan of both pages. Thanks for the opportunity!
#344 of 597 Old 01-23-2013, 09:15 AM

We are choosing to homeschool because we want to ensure that our children are exposed to a variety of subjects utilizing whatever techniques work best for their learning style.
#345 of 597 Old 01-23-2013, 09:16 AM

We home school because it promotes the independent search for knowledge and allow us to help each of our children to grow to excel and be the best they can be as a human being, not only academically.

#346 of 597 Old 01-23-2013, 09:21 AM

Why do we home school?

We home school for several reasons, so we can tailor our children's education to them and their strengths, so they are learning to their level and not to the lowest common denominator in a classroom, so we can spend time with our kids and are their major influences, so we know what they are learning and how, so our child can interact and learn from people of all ages, not just his peer/age group, so our child can learn and know that learning happens all day all the time, not just at school, and because we enjoy spending time with our children.

#347 of 597 Old 01-23-2013, 09:22 AM

We home school because my amazing brilliant son has erroneously been mislabeled as a trouble maker for something that is a direct side effect of his medical problem but there are too many demands on the school system to give him personalized attention, which could be easily addressed. He needs to learn in an environment free of stress (something that also exacerbates his autoimmune condition). We do it because instinctively I know what is best for my child and I am very tired of the medical community ignoring and choosing to medicate over solving the issue, of the academic community ignoring us and so we have to provide a loving environment for him. 

Working Mamma Bear to Buggy, Bean, and Surprise. Getting crunchier by the second... 
#348 of 597 Old 01-23-2013, 09:54 AM
knk

I would share this if I had a Facebook page:)

Homeschooling is more than just another option. It is difficult for most parents to choose between 'free' public school and tuition for myriad private schools of all kinds and methods, allthewhile feeling that neither is exactly right- homeschooling keeps parents responsible for what our children are learning. It is not often a decision parents arrive to lightly. We become innately aware of their strengths in learning and can nurture them through experiences not possible in any traditional setting. Homeschooling does not mean isolation from other children or an elitist mentality that our kids are somehow better than the system- but it does mean that we as parents get the chance of a lifetime to really give children their own choices- respect them as human beings thirsty for knowledge and guide them in safe creative ways that do not inhibit their sense of self. Homeschooling can provide kids with self confidence and acceptance for themselves and others regardless of background and ability- something hard to instill in the mass public system, where children- especially early adolescents have to fit in to survive. Homeschooling is truly a gift in our generation with so many parents both working- a time to bring the circle in, while expanding our ripples our own way!
#349 of 597 Old 01-23-2013, 09:59 AM

We have a personal story behind homeschooling. We moved our family to a small, picturesque town in northern California, so that our son could attend a Waldorf school. However in the fall of his second year there, he started to have intense stomach pains.

My husband had lost a child to cancer and takes these kinds of symptoms seriously. After many trips to the ER, doctors, tests and x-rays, we found out our son was severely constipated caused by stress from school. We were surprised and saddened, and after talking with our son, he confided he was being pushed around and picked on at school.

We trusted our judgement and pulled him out of school, when they failed to see any problems. They blamed our son as not being able to fit in properly.

Homeschooling is not just an alternative. It is the perfect way to teach your child with love, honor and respect. We began with attachment parenting, and homeschooling is the ideal transition. Our son is now thriving in an environment where we can link his lessons to the real world and work at his pace. We are lucky to now spend more time together as a family and pass on lifelong lessons from our hearts and souls.

#350 of 597 Old 01-23-2013, 10:00 AM

will definitely post onto FB. Thank you!

#351 of 597 Old 01-23-2013, 10:07 AM

I taught for years in a public school.

While I did my best in the situation, and tried to do my best by my students, there are so many disadvantages to having a room filled with heterogeneous learners. The pace of learning, the amount of time wasted, the negative socialization along with the positive...

Why homeschool? So you can give your child the best, personalized education possible.

Armando John, born 8-3-12

Check out my Etsy store - fun, homemade items for baby and home:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/RedDahlias

#352 of 597 Old 01-23-2013, 10:15 AM

I think learning at home (and out and about!) is the best way to inspire a LOVE for learning and a passion for always wanting to know more. Something that you can't quite accomplish in the current school system.

h20homebirth.gif    femalesling.GIF-     familybed2.gif   -Yep... thats me redface.gif

#353 of 597 Old 01-23-2013, 10:20 AM

We homeschool in order to give our son flexibility in what he learns and how he learns it. We want to encourage him to follow his interests and give him time to grow and play. Ultimately, we want him to love learning and feel like he can learn anything at any time rather than needing to follow a standardized curriculum at the pace of other students.

Xan
stay at home, unschooling mommy to D (Jan., '07), G (May '09), T (Nov '10), and M (Jan '13)

#354 of 597 Old 01-23-2013, 10:29 AM

I homeschool to:

Give my children the chance to be better friends to each other than those who would be in their classes at school.

To be able to be a part of their everyday . . . instead of just a small fraction of their waking hours.

To provide them with many more years of innocence than their peers could hope to get.

To let them play--to make things, roam our forest, love our animals, and use their imaginations for hours every day.

To allow their formative years to happen (mostly) beyond the reach of the culture of negative body image; to be able to teach them to value a person truly.

And so, so many more . . .
#355 of 597 Old 01-23-2013, 10:31 AM

Why homeschool? Homeschooling is about freedom to us. Freedom to teach and learn at my child's pace and style. Freedom to choose what we study and when. Freedom to travel at our convenience and not a school's. Freedom to fill our days with fun educational experiences, with play and exploration.  Homeschooling means I will be able to make sure my son grows up as bilingual as I did, it means he will learn to love reading, develop critical thinking and other skills which I find most schools overlook.  It also means he will eat nutritious foods every day, be safe and still participate in many social activities.

#356 of 597 Old 01-23-2013, 10:34 AM

Pinned, Tweeted and posted to Facebook! Thanks for the great giveaway!

#357 of 597 Old 01-23-2013, 10:37 AM

Why homeschool?  One word: relationships.  I want my daughters to be my friends when they are teenagers, so I am developing a relationship with them before its too late.  The fact that I can give them a top notch education in the process is just a bonus.

#358 of 597 Old 01-23-2013, 10:41 AM

To engage with your child and create a learning community in your home.

#359 of 597 Old 01-23-2013, 10:42 AM

shared on Facebook

#360 of 597 Old 01-23-2013, 10:48 AM

I think homeschooling is best for our family because it gives DS the chance to learn at his own pace while being able to tie his personal interests and learning style into his education (among many many other reasons!). <3

Christian guitar-playing singer, crunchy granola SAHM, wife to husband J, Mama to toddler little man O, cat-loving owner of Bounce, Mix, and Hinode. I love my life.

Tags
Learning Resources , Education , Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page