Enter to Win a Homeschool Curriculum and Gift Basket from Oak Meadow! - Page 18 - Mothering Forums

#511 of 597 Old 01-26-2013, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We homeschooled my daughter through her kindergarten year and now she is currently at the Washington Waldorf School in Bethesda, MD but we are considering homeschooling her again starting next year.  My husband and I have been using compassionate communication (also called nonviolent communication or NVC) with our daughter since she was a baby and we have been trying to bring this new paradigm of parenting into our lives for years so we can move away from the dominant paradigm we were raised with and move toward more connection and empathy.  We are realizing that homeschooling provides us with the ability to share these values with our daughter more fully while being in a school community that uses the dominant paradigm (teachers and parents giving kids punishments and consequences) doesn't meet our need for teaching our daughter the importance of connection, collaboration, peace, harmony, and compassion.  Our daughter is learning to fight back her tears when her teacher gets mad at her instead of feeling free to express her emotions and feel safe to make mistakes.  We are now seriously looking at the Oak Meadow curriculum as a way to homeschool our daughter and be able to raise her in a compassionate environment where she can be in touch with her own feelings and needs and thus learn empathy for others in the process.  Thanks to Mothering for this great opportunity to win a Oak Meadow curriculum package!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#512 of 597 Old 01-26-2013, 08:57 AM

I want to homeschool, because my children are a gift to me from the Lord. He has entrusted them to me to raise and teach them. I am excited to start homeschooling next year with my oldest child.

#513 of 597 Old 01-26-2013, 08:58 AM

I shared this post on my FB page!  Thanks again for this great opportunity!

#514 of 597 Old 01-26-2013, 09:23 AM

We want to offer our kids an opportunity to be themselves. I want my kids to want to learn because the find the excitement in creating, discovering, searching, and learning information. I think homeschooling will help them posses these qualities in their own time and in their own style.
#515 of 597 Old 01-26-2013, 09:23 AM

I shared the contest on twitter!
#516 of 597 Old 01-27-2013, 12:11 AM

We homeschool so our children have the time to have a childhood that is relaxed.  We started at first because we could not afford private school for 4 kids, but our reasons have evolved into having time for childhood, time to explore their interests, and time to know each other as family. 

#517 of 597 Old 01-27-2013, 12:20 AM

I just shared this contest/ thread on my facebook page  :)   I just this week purchased the 5th grade curr for my youngest and social studies high school for my two oldest.  I would love to win curriculum for next year!!

#518 of 597 Old 01-27-2013, 07:35 AM

We homeschool because I've seen the village and don't want them raising my child. I homeschooled my son for 6 years using Oak Meadow and a divorce forced me to send him to public school for 7th grade. I watched my confident, happy child turn into a a child who lost his love of learning and reading, was bullied on a regular basis and, above all, who lost his self-esteem. The system didn't support his learning style and he slipped through the cracks. All of the  learning was geared towards taking the state exams. The school taught a mile wide and an inch deep. WIth homeschooling we teach an inch wide and a mile deep. I have since pulled my child out of public school and am now a single mom homeschooling my son for 8th grade. It has been a slow road back but I see his confidence returning. Homeschooling isn't just about school, it is about a allowing a human being to learn his way in the world without an outdated institution dictating his every move and allowing him to learn and live in a way that promotes and encourages his own creativity and nourishes his soul. 

#519 of 597 Old 01-27-2013, 07:42 AM

I would like to be able to have the freedom to make learning interesting for my kiddos, foster creativity and allow them to progress at a pace they are comfortable with (maybe a little faster here or slower there depending on if they are understanding the current concepts and material).
#520 of 597 Old 01-27-2013, 08:20 AM

I homeschool so that my kids can get the most out of their childhood and education. They each learn very differently and I am able to teach them in the best way for them individually. I am able to bring out their strengths while helping them with their weaknesses. I am able to help them learn while they help me learn. They are also able to grow up at their own rate. They aren't thrown into any environment that they aren't ready for. I homeschool for my kids.
#521 of 597 Old 01-27-2013, 09:31 AM

Why Homeschool? I want to be an integral part of my children's learning. Homeschooling allows me to tailor learning to their needs. Homeschooling allows my children to vibrantly flourish!
#522 of 597 Old 01-27-2013, 09:55 AM

I have such harsh memories of my own schooling - bullying, being ignored, memorization was valued over thorough learning - and I have many teacher friends who are extremely unhappy with the educational system.  I don't know how it's going to work, but I am determined to help our daughter have the best possible learning experiences throughout her life.  It seems like homeschooling provides opportunities for learning that cannot be found anywhere else.  I am concerned that I will not be able to afford not to work.  Is it possible to homeschool when both parents must bring in income?  Anyway, I am entering because I feel like I can at least start with the preschool curriculum and go from there.  Thank you for the opportunity!  And I am posting on fb

#523 of 597 Old 01-27-2013, 10:17 AM

I had some pretty harsh experiences in my own schooling growing up - bullying, being ignored by teachers, memorization valued over actual learning.  I also have many teacher friends who are very unhappy with the system.  I want my daughter to have the best learning experience possible, and homeschooling seems to be the choice to make that happen.  I don't know how we're going to navigate it when both parents must work, but at least we can start with the preschool curriculum.  Thanks for the opportunity!

rebecca_n likes this.
#524 of 597 Old 01-27-2013, 01:08 PM

Why homeschool? You give our family the power to teach one another, to grow closer together, to have more time to explore the world, and to be sure our children truly learn the things they want/need (or perhaps the things we would like to pass on?). We have yet to make the leap (oldest is in public kindergarten), but plan to next year! For now, we "after school" and love the lessons we are sharing.

#525 of 597 Old 01-27-2013, 04:12 PM

We choose to homeschool because we want to be an integral part of our children's education. We like being able to provide them with endless opportunities to learn. We love to watch our children learn at their own pace. We want our children to experience life and learn from all aspects of it. Our family is very close and we enjoy being together and learning together. We want our children's education to be fun and for them to have happy childhoods. We feel like childhood is such a magical and sacred time that we want to preserve that magic and sacredness for as long as we can. 

#526 of 597 Old 01-27-2013, 08:51 PM

I homeschool because I don't believe children best learn by sitting in a desk in a room full of their peers.  I homeschool because I feel my children have needs that cannot be met in our current public school system.  I want my children to remain vibrant and excited about knowledge.  I want them to question everything.  I want to soak up every bit of them, not put them on a bus every morning.  Because "socialization" is just peer pressure.  Because cooperation should come before competition.  Because my boy does not have to love spiderman and my girl does not have to love princesses.  Because we get to read our history book under the trees and do storytime snuggled under and a blanket. 

Because I hated school.  And I lost my thirst for knowledge.  I want better for them.

#527 of 597 Old 01-27-2013, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

why homeschool?  so that you can be guided by your inner curriculum!

no longer 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 or 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 or
 ... dd is going on 12 (!) how was I to know there was a homeschool going on?
#528 of 597 Old 01-27-2013, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

shared this blog post!

no longer 
 or 
 or
 ... dd is going on 12 (!) how was I to know there was a homeschool going on?
#529 of 597 Old 01-27-2013, 10:20 PM

I homeschool because I was not thrilled with the public school system. I saw what was taught by volunteering and figured I could do the same or maybe even better. I of course supplement what I do with social activities like PE, one day a week coop school, field trips, museum homeschool classes, etc. We are having fun even though not every day is a walk in the park. I love having my children with me daily as I know homeschooling will not be a forever thing but a right now thing. :)

#530 of 597 Old 01-27-2013, 10:22 PM

I shared on my FB wall.

#531 of 597 Old 01-27-2013, 11:10 PM

We homeschool so that we have the freedom to learn, grow, and explore (as individuals and as a family)  whenever we want and where ever we want.  We place great importance on fostering a deep desire for lifetime learning as well as a strong family environment.  We like each other and we like learning, homeschooling is perfect!

MamaShan likes this.

Kim- Simple livin' mama to 4 great kiddos.
#532 of 597 Old 01-27-2013, 11:28 PM

I will homeschool to provide my children with better opportunities to reach their full potential.  Unfortunately, our public schools are lacking.

#533 of 597 Old 01-27-2013, 11:29 PM

Shared on fb!

#534 of 597 Old 01-28-2013, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We homeschool to strengthen the bond between my children and I, and because I feel that sending them away every day, all day, to a place that teaches them what to think, not how to think, is just plain wrong.

MamaShan likes this.

treehugger.gif Mia, married to my superhero.gif since 2006, mama to bikenew.gif D (5/06) and dust.gifM (8/09).
namaste.gifgrouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifgd.gif

#535 of 597 Old 01-28-2013, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Shared on my FB wall...Mia Lou  :-)

treehugger.gif Mia, married to my superhero.gif since 2006, mama to bikenew.gif D (5/06) and dust.gifM (8/09).
namaste.gifgrouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifgd.gif

#536 of 597 Old 01-28-2013, 10:39 AM

I want to homeschool because I want to have a closer bond with my children than parents who just ship their kids off to school every day. I want to have more control over what they learn. I want my children to have a more quality education. Education quality has gone way down from things like no child left behind. I want my children to have a more classical education.I also believe schools can teach children whatever they want and it may be something I don't agree with. I want to be able to teach my kids one on one and to their special learning style.

#537 of 597 Old 01-28-2013, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Being home schooled enriches family relationships and when it comes down to it, that is what matters in life. I want to really understand my son and hope for him a secure foundation so that he can excel academically as well as personally.  

#538 of 597 Old 01-28-2013, 02:53 PM

Why homeschool?Because there is this magic that happens when your kids start learning something new and you are the one who has shared in that moment, that excitement with them. I would not want to give that opportunity to some random stranger. There are soooo many other reasons to homeschool, but this is the one that makes my heart sing!

#539 of 597 Old 01-28-2013, 02:56 PM

Shared on facebook

#540 of 597 Old 01-29-2013, 10:10 AM

We homeschool as a way to keep family focused & centralized! Also of importance is freedom; the ability to cater to each child's individual needs & interests, the possibility to turn everything into a learning opportunity, the availability of road trips and vacations, the access to a variety of enrichment activities.

But really, the reasons are infinite!

R~Mama to my sweet A 7//07 & bubbly Z 3/12

AND belly.gif due 9/13

Tags
Learning Resources , Education , Homeschooling

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page