Mothering Forum banner

Enter to Win a Homeschool Curriculum and Gift Basket from Oak Meadow!

16K views 595 replies 396 participants last post by  Jawil 
#1 ·

This giveaway is closed. Thank you to everyone who entered and to Oak Meadow Curriculum and School for the wonderful prizes!

The randomly chosen winner of the curriculum is Mothering member "mra" and the winner of the gift basket is member "Patternfall." You will both be contacted through your member profiles. Congrats!!

Enter to Win this Great Giveaway from Oak Meadow Curriculum and School!

First Prize: A complete homeschool curriculum package for one PreK-8 grade of your choice (value: $120-$420). Winner of the Best-of-Mothering award, Oak Meadow's uniquely creative curriculum includes assignments that ask children to read, write, and think, and also to paint, draw, play music, write poetry, and build things, encouraging balanced and healthy development.

Second Prize: A gift basket inspired by our latest Arts In Education journal. Includes these Oak Meadow Bookstore bestsellers: The Heart of Learning, Book of Nature Crafts, Main Lesson Book Kit, Beeswax Crayons, Modeling Beeswax (Value: $90).

To Enter:

1) If you haven't already, please make sure you http://www.facebook.com/oakmeadow"like" Oak Meadow on Facebook and are a fan of http://www.facebook.com/mothering.magazineMothering on our Facebook page.

2) Post your own answer to the question "Why homeschool?" on this thread. For inspiration, be sure to visit Oak Meadow's NEW VIDEO featuring homeschooling families and students. (Note: your answer could be included in a future issue of Oak Meadow's popular Living Education Journal).

3) Your name will be entered a second time if you share this blog post and leave a second comment letting us know that you did!

About Oak Meadow:

An Oak Meadow curriculum package offers a full year's worth of engaging assignments, creative projects, and uniquely flexible weekly lesson plans. If you're looking for some homeschool inspiration, you'll love their hands-on math projects, out-of-the-ordinary science experiments, and writing challenges that spark the imagination.

In addition to purchasing Oak Meadow curriculum, families also have the option to enroll in Oak Meadow School for a fully accredited distance learning experience with expert faculty support and official school transcripts.

To find out if Oak Meadow is right for you, you can review grade-specific curriculum samples or call 802-251-7250 to speak with a friendly and knowledgeable Oak Meadow Educational Counselor.

Rules:

This giveaway runs until Jan 30, 2013. Please read the full rules before entry.

See less See more
#453 ·
We homeschool for a myriad of reasons. We love to be able to spend lots of quality time together. I love watching my kids learn new concepts and have so much fun learning! We love being able to go on field trips whenever we want. We can travel. We can tailor learning plans toward our children's interests. We're on year 3 of homeschooling and loving every minute of it!

#454 ·
I want to be able to foster a lifelong love of learning in my son. I want to show him the whole world so that he can find his own place in it. Homeschooling doesn't mean just being in the home, it means taking my child out into our daily life. Teaching him his "curriculum" as well as the wonders and joys of the everyday.

#455 ·
My son will be five in a week. I have decided to homeschool him because I will never get this time back. This moment. The world is out there and will give its own lessons in time. But until then, I want him to see the beauty there is in this world. I want to give him the opportunity to discover himself and his relationship to the world around him. I want to fill his vessel so full of love he has extra to take on his long journey of life. He will have a teacher whose love is unconditional. He will be homeschooled.

#457 ·
We started homeschooling for academic reasons. The funny thing is that we now HS for so many different reasons. Overall though, I would say that my greatest goal is to help the kids become well rounded and happy individuals that value relationships and everyday life.

#458 ·
We have always and still do have a wonderful relationship with our public school however decided to teach our kids at home this year. What an adventure. I honestly didnt think I would last past Christmas but now I can't imagine not teaching them. I already see a special bond between my son and daughter and with us. They have been diligent students and work really hard. We can have fun, teach them our own values all from our own home. We have alot of homeschoolers in our community that we can connect with from time to time.

#459 ·
I believe homeschooling, though a gift from the past, is the future of education. It's customizable, nourishing, and places the child firmly in the center of his or her own magnificent world. Children are empowered to be themselves and continually discover their interests and selves as they learn. Homeschooling fosters strong, healthy relationships and a love for learning: two things that propel individuals to great success, joy, and fulfillment throughout their lives.

#460 ·
I am considering homeschooling in addition to traditional schooling. I see it as a way to help me be a better parent, to cultivate a sense of life long learning, and to protect my dear little daughter from what I fear the public school system may strip from her - her curiosity, her confidence and her sense of possibility.

#461 ·
Why home school? The research that I have done on homeschooling speaks to higher test scores and college readiness for so many; it leaves me asking why not? I also believe that by choosing to home school there is more opportunity to provide children with real life learning experiences that will assist them in being successful in all aspects of life. It also provides ample opportunity for parents to continue to grow and be consistently present in our jobs of raising compassionate, kind, and caring human beings.
orngbiggrin.gif

#465 ·
When I started homeschooling I thought I was doing it for my daughter...So she wouldn't be bored in school, as I was. To keep her challenged. To inspire her. To allow her the time and experiences to learn from the world around her. As I continue to homeschool it is because I am challenged. I am inspired. And most of all, I am learning amazing things from her and about her every day.

#467 ·
A parent teaches their child how to talk, recognize colors and shapes, obey the cross walk, respect their neighbor and so many other things before that child or parent realizes they are schooling every day. Secular education at home is a natural extension of these learning experiences that I am happy to share with all 6 of my children. I home school not to make a political statement or to keep my little ones in a bubble. I do it because for me it is natural. My children and I enjoy learning together.

#468 ·
I chose to homeschool for reasons NOT. We do not rip our kids awake in the morning, and then rush rush rush to get them out the door and onto the bus. We do not stop a good cuddly story time to move on to another subject. We do not worry about when, exactly, we eat lunch (nor do we restrict our kids from making their own mid-day hot cheesy eggs). We do not feel the pressure to scour the mall for the latest trendy shoe or shirt. We do not need to wonder about what hurtful words or actions may have been learned at school that day.

#471 ·
Why Homeschool?

Because as a child I always had more questions than my teachers could answer, I always felt like I was being shown a path and that I needed a buddy to go down it, and my teachers always said" I can't, I have to go where the majority of the class is going". When you homeschool, your child learns that he can ask questions and then find the answers, he receives a confidence and and a brave spirit.

#476 ·
I believe home schooling is above and beyond a better education.

It is tailored to each child instead of them all being at the same level in a public school.

My daughter is 5 and in SK and is way ahead of the other children, as we work together at home.

Unfortunately as a single mother I am unable to pay for her education, and I am very nervous about her starting school full time next year.

I am afraid she will be lost in the crowd and not able to shine with a superior education!

Oak Meadows seems to have a very high quality Curriculum.

Thank you for the opportunity!

Laura

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.