Enter to Win a Homeschool Curriculum and Gift Basket from Oak Meadow! - Page 20 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#571 of 597 Old 01-30-2013, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Why Homeschool?

I like the closeness its giving my 8 year old and me. It's giving us a chance to rebuild our relationship, rather than being torn apart by the drama of teacher tattling on his ADHD symptoms. I like that we can spend an entire day devoted to math instead of 20 minutes and then it has to be over, leaving him confused and stressed. I like that we get to do fun things too and he gets to enjoy our lives with us, not just the few most exhausting hours of the day before bed. I love that he is proud of himself for what he is accomplishing, instead of being caught up on what he isn't. 
That's why we home school. 

#572 of 597 Old 01-30-2013, 01:58 PM

Homeschooling allows children to learn how they want to learn, at their speed and focus on subjects that excite them. Learning at home is both more exciting and less stressful than at school. Homeschooling puts the power where it's supposed to be, with the child.

DS 5yrs coolshine.gif DD 1.5 joy.gif Second mommy to 4 DD's jumpers.gif

#573 of 597 Old 01-30-2013, 02:02 PM

Shared on facebook too!

DS 5yrs coolshine.gif DD 1.5 joy.gif Second mommy to 4 DD's jumpers.gif

#574 of 597 Old 01-30-2013, 02:54 PM

Our children are doing well and i don't want them to end up behind or not seen as important because the teachers don't need to "help" them to get to 'passing' some random test.

Amanda 20 m old V new baby on the way planning VBAC and tandem nursing
#575 of 597 Old 01-30-2013, 03:00 PM

shared on facebook!

Amanda 20 m old V new baby on the way planning VBAC and tandem nursing
#576 of 597 Old 01-30-2013, 06:48 PM

Because the world is too fabulous to go to the same place and do the same things with the same people each and every day of childhood. Oak Meadow is fabulous as it offers flexibility along with that needed routine. 

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#577 of 597 Old 01-30-2013, 07:35 PM

Why homeschool?

I think it is important for parents to have a hands on approach to their children's learning

#578 of 597 Old 01-30-2013, 07:36 PM

Shared on my wall

#579 of 597 Old 01-30-2013, 08:48 PM

My special needs son gets the most out of one-on-one instruction doing homeschool.
#580 of 597 Old 01-30-2013, 09:18 PM

Homeschooling gives a child the chance to bloom naturally. My oldest that was homeschooled will be graduating from college this year! She has a wonderful ability to relate to all people... Not just her age group.
#581 of 597 Old 01-30-2013, 09:19 PM

Shared on my Facebook wall.
#582 of 597 Old 01-30-2013, 09:48 PM

We homeschool for many reason.  The most important being that we made a commitment to God that we will raise our children to love him. This is a commitment we made, we did not say we will hire some one to do this.  We do not always know what is going on in the schools, on the playgrounds, in the lunchrooms, etc. Homeschooling allows us more of an opportunity to have discussion, and impact on our children's experiences, in may cases they are exposed to more variety with less corruption.  We love being around our kids (even when they drive us crazy).  They learn a lot through life, balancing school and chores, interacting with people in moms world, etc.  Now more then ever I believe home schooling is important, our new baby girl has a rare liver problem and has already had surgery and a trip to the hospital due to an infection.  If they were in traditional school this would mean that school was going on without them and having to try to catch up.  It would also have been times that they would have gone to school and unexpectedly been picked up by grandma and told sister was in the hospital.  This would have been even harder on them then being there, knowing what is going on and being a part of her life.  They are able to take a brake from lessons and catch up at their own pace.  Homeschool is open to changes, just like life.  I have been so grateful for the opportunity to homeschool my kids, especially this year.  Thank you God for this blessing and may you guide our schooling.  

#583 of 597 Old 01-30-2013, 09:48 PM

I shared :)

#584 of 597 Old 01-30-2013, 09:56 PM

Public and private school is a place you attend, and where you are taught. Home is a place you live and where you learn. We prefer to live and learn. orngbiggrin.gif
#585 of 597 Old 01-30-2013, 10:00 PM

Shared with my home school friends
#586 of 597 Old 01-31-2013, 12:13 AM

My initial response is why not? But that wasn't our orifginal, motivating reason. We started homeschooling because I knew that we could offer our children more than our local failing schools. So we started with kinder and have continued for 5 years now. We are far from done, but my recent, unexpected unemployment has allowed me to focus more fully on homeschooling. I have seen the growth in learning that my children have and experienced a closeness I would not have had if they were at school for 6+ hours a day. Not to mention how much I learn or relearn with them! I love our homeschooling experience and know that it was the right choice for our family.
#587 of 597 Old 01-31-2013, 12:15 AM

]Shared on FB!
#588 of 597 Old 01-31-2013, 04:14 AM

We homeschool because we know our children best.

Mama to ds 11, ds 7, dd 5, dd 2, and dd born on 6/17/12!

#589 of 597 Old 01-31-2013, 08:52 AM

Homeschooling means time with my children and a partnership with them as we embark on the adventure of learning. We are bonding much more than we were when they went to a bricks and mortar school. They get to respond to what they learn both academically and creatively. I can approach them with patience and kindness if they do not understand something and give them the individual attention they need in order to master a concept. Because we homeschool, my children can also learn better life skills because we are not rushed off with a deadline in the morning. Finally, homeschooling allows my children to learn and pursue their passions at the same time. We are so happy to be on this journey and look forward to the positive experiences to come!

#590 of 597 Old 01-31-2013, 09:30 AM

I am an Organic Goat DairyWoman. I live in the Poconos with my wonderful husband. We have been farming for seven years now and I believe with my whole heart, that a farm is the most perfect place to raise and homeschool a child. Hands on experience with life and food. Not to mention, a plus for us that our little ones will be able to help with chores.  

#591 of 597 Old 01-31-2013, 11:42 AM

I homeschool so my kids have the influence I want them to have instead of all the unsupervised influence they would have in the school system.  

#592 of 597 Old 01-31-2013, 07:05 PM

Homeschooling follows the natural flow of our family.  Its never been a question.

#593 of 597 Old 01-31-2013, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Why homeschool?

It is the best way to make sure that the individual needs of my children are being met.  I have homeschooled as well as taught public school.  Teaching in a public school showed me that the educational system is not catered to individuals.  Homeschooling allows me to meet their talents as well as needs.  Also, and probably the most important part- homeschooling gives me more control on the social interactions. Letting a group of 10 year olds alone to "socialize" will do the opposite.  Some of the greatest minds were those of homeschooled individuals (Einstein, many of our founding fathers, etc.).  I don't know a whole lot of forward thinkers who came from a public education.

Loving wife hug2.gif and Mama to hippie.gifBella (11), joy.gifArydona (6), guitar.gifKai (5) and Trin candle.gif born sleeping on 12/21/13 makebabe.gif ttc our next bundle of joy! ....intactlact.gif,hang.gif  homeschool.gif  
#594 of 597 Old 01-31-2013, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Shared on FB!

Loving wife hug2.gif and Mama to hippie.gifBella (11), joy.gifArydona (6), guitar.gifKai (5) and Trin candle.gif born sleeping on 12/21/13 makebabe.gif ttc our next bundle of joy! ....intactlact.gif,hang.gif  homeschool.gif  
#595 of 597 Old 06-01-2013, 09:22 AM

Queremos dar a nuestros hijos la oportunidad de desarrollar sus capacidades al máximo, sin restricciones o complejos, sin regaños y dando libertad a su ser creativo! Queremos que aprendan por y con gusto.
#596 of 597 Old 08-13-2013, 08:08 PM

I was born visually impaired, so in public school, I was a "special needs" child and required an "individualized education plan (IEP)."  From preschool until I graduated high school, I think the schools got it all wrong.  My mother had to battle for everything.  Without her advocacy, I don't know what would have happened to me!  One principal did not want me to attend her school and put me in remedial classes, a gym teacher wanted to fail me for "not participating" in sports where flying objects were present and another teacher wanted to fail me because I read to slow.  Now I have 2 boys of my own.  My oldest is starting to show signs of sensory integration problems.  I am terrified at the prospects of "special education."  He is a fantastic boy and will be an amazing learner if he is given the freedom and environment that he needs.  Home schooling seems to be the best option for him.  For both of my boys, homeschooling will offer then individualized education that will meet their needs.  Flexibility for different learners and a brain stimulating environment is what I can offer my children at home.

#597 of 597 Old 08-13-2013, 08:12 PM

I shared on Facebook

Tags
Learning Resources , Education , Homeschooling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page