Enter to Win a Homeschool Curriculum and Gift Basket from Oak Meadow! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 597 Old 01-18-2013, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Why I homeschool?

The quote from Wilma Mankiller sums is up best for me. "Those who control the education of our children, control the future."

I control the education of my children. They will know the truth about our democracy and how it came to be the way it is. This goes along with reading

"A Peoples History of the United States" by Howard Zinn. My son, along with his 7th grade Oak Meadow, is also reading "The Young Peoples History

of the Untied States". I want my children to understand the value of our rights. And I hope to give them the tools and compassion to want to take

their rights back!! The environment is a precious thing, and we need to teach our children the value of our environment, and what the corporations are

doing to it, right now.

This is why I homeschool my children. I hope for, and work for a better future, for us all.

Eron King

Sons...

Rowan12 and Tobbe7

#182 of 597 Old 01-18-2013, 10:13 AM

Why home school? I truly believe I can give my daughter a better education one-on-one than she would get in a classroom full of kids. We are taking things one grade at a time, but we think home school is a great choice for the early years. I'm excited to do cool field trips that wouldn't be possible if she was in school, as well!

Already liked Mothering and Oak Meadow on Facebook. Because you're both pretty cool.

#183 of 597 Old 01-18-2013, 10:16 AM

I just shared this blog post on my Facebook wall, too. Because there's nothing my friends love to see more than posts about things only I am interested in. :) Just kidding, I have lots of mom friends!

#184 of 597 Old 01-18-2013, 11:11 AM

Why homeschool? There are so many positives to homeschooling, but I'll try to keep it to just a few:

I love the fact that we can choose what to learn and when to learn it. Neither the kids or I are forced into a set schedule that can't be broken, we have the freedom to start earlier or later, take a break if it's needed and go on field trips whenever we want. Not only that, but I know what my kids are learning and what areas need my attention and encouragement more. We are more eclectic in our learning style; I don't have one set curriculum to work with, so if I really like the science book in one curriculum but don't like their history books I will look in a different curriculum until I find what's right for us. I guess really I could some it up in one word FREEDOM.

#185 of 597 Old 01-18-2013, 12:04 PM

I already "like" Oak Meadow and Mothering.

Why Homeschool?

Because right now it works for my family.  

Because in my neighborhood right now there is a line to register for kindergarten that folks are planning on waiting in for 4 days (and we aren't even eligible to wait in that line because of our address even if we wanted to).  

Because it gives us flexibility.

Because my kid is asynchronous in "academics" and we can meet him where he is, let him move as quickly or as slowly as he needs/wants to.

Because we are open to adventure.

Because I don't want test scores to be the only measurement of my kid.

#186 of 597 Old 01-18-2013, 12:05 PM

I shared on Facebook.

#187 of 597 Old 01-18-2013, 01:52 PM

like Oak Meadow on Facebook

#188 of 597 Old 01-18-2013, 01:52 PM

like Mothering Magazine on Facebook

#189 of 597 Old 01-18-2013, 01:54 PM

#190 of 597 Old 01-18-2013, 02:09 PM

I believe it is my responsibility, right and pleasure to teach my daughter.  Besides- I don't want to miss any of the journey!

#191 of 597 Old 01-18-2013, 02:10 PM

I shared on Facebook.

#192 of 597 Old 01-18-2013, 02:58 PM

We homeschool to allow our children to experience childhood, to connect with nature and natural rythms, and to bring the whole family closer together.  We also believe homeschooling will allow our children's intelligence and individual talents to unfold without coercion or force.

#193 of 597 Old 01-18-2013, 03:00 PM

I shared on Facebook.

#194 of 597 Old 01-18-2013, 04:55 PM

The primary reason we have chosen to home school is because school wastes childhood. Children only get so long to enjoy the magic of being a kid. My children can learn so much more at home while playing and being creative. We are actually using the Oak Meadows preschool curriculum right now, and we love it. 

Of course there are lots of other reasons we are doing it: tailoring to my children's learning style, teacher to student ratio, unit studies, et cetera

Mom to one amazing little girl (32 months now!), 3 cats and 2 dogs. Wife to my hardworking hubby of 4 years. belly.gif again after 2 losses.  fly-by-nursing1.gifcd.gif  familybed1.gif

#195 of 597 Old 01-18-2013, 04:58 PM

I shared this giveaway on my Facebook wall

Mom to one amazing little girl (32 months now!), 3 cats and 2 dogs. Wife to my hardworking hubby of 4 years. belly.gif again after 2 losses.  fly-by-nursing1.gifcd.gif  familybed1.gif

#196 of 597 Old 01-18-2013, 05:27 PM

Why home school? To provide individual attention to my kid's interests. To have control over where and what we spend our time learning, to focus on his interests, as well as introduce him to concepts that may be missed in conventional schooling. To allow my kids to interact with people of all ages and feel included in their community.

#197 of 597 Old 01-19-2013, 05:39 AM

Why homeschool?

For some it may be the long term answer for their family and their child.  For others of us it may provide a year or two of solace from the busyness of a demanding school schedule, a much-needed time of reconnection between parent and child, or a way of gauging exactly where our child is in their learning journey, after turning so much of that role & responsibility over to a teacher on a daily basis.

#198 of 597 Old 01-19-2013, 11:21 AM

I homeschool for two reasons.  First, my 12 year old has an alternative learning style.  He needs one-on-one and constant reinforcement.  My 2nd child whom I homeschool is a competitive gymanst and needs Mommy time during the day because she is at the gym up to 20 hours per week  She thrives on homeschooling.

#199 of 597 Old 01-19-2013, 11:23 AM

I posted on facebook

#200 of 597 Old 01-19-2013, 02:45 PM

We want to homeschool because the goals of public education no longer align with our educational philosophies.

#201 of 597 Old 01-19-2013, 02:46 PM

I shared this via FB :)

#202 of 597 Old 01-19-2013, 04:21 PM

Why homeschool? To be able to nourish your child's passions with flexibility of schedule and opportunities unavailable in other schooling methods, honing in on those skills and endeavours that most interest the child, and helping to guide them to be who they've come here to be; to teach them to be life-long learners and, above all, to follow their hearts.

#203 of 597 Old 01-20-2013, 09:50 AM

Why homeschool?  

I homeschool my youngest because he is a child with learning differences and I feel that those differences are best met at home and with smaller groups of children than public school is able to provide.  I am able to have time to provide support for him privately without interfering with his extracurricular activities.  Homeschooling has been an amazing journey:)                      

#204 of 597 Old 01-20-2013, 10:38 AM

"Why homeschool?"

Some things in life can't be measured. There are no standardized tests for compassion, self discipline, critical thinking, motivation, creativity....

With home school my child explores, learns and ultimately grows in each of these disciplines as well as the academic. I am right there learning and growing along side her. I home school because I desire for my children to view learning as a life long pursuit, not something done 5 days a week from 8-3. I  home school because who they are is and what they'll become is even more important than a score on a test. I home school because life should not be institutionalized, imagination held captive, nor the final product judged by what others view as important.

Mom to 3 homeschoolersjoy.gif

sewmachine.gifknit.gifrainbow1284.gifDaughter of Him, Wife and Mother to them partners.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gif,  

heartbeat.gifOne more on the way Fall 2013 pos.gif

#205 of 597 Old 01-21-2013, 12:20 AM

I shared on my FB, also.

sewmachine.gifknit.gifrainbow1284.gifDaughter of Him, Wife and Mother to them partners.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gif,  

heartbeat.gifOne more on the way Fall 2013 pos.gif

#206 of 597 Old 01-21-2013, 01:05 PM

Why homeschool?

I love spending all day with my son, he's my best friend.  I love that I can choose what he gets to learn, based on our personal beliefs and what I feel is a priority, and  I also love that he is safe with me :)

homeschooling mom to coco (9/2006)

baby house to a new little (1/2015)
treehugger.gif nocirc.gif familybed1.gif cat.gif

#207 of 597 Old 01-21-2013, 02:00 PM

We chose homeschooling because we wanted to grow together as a family unit.  We are hoping that our children will become closer as they are learning together.  We also want to be more involved in our children's education. 

Lyndsi~ wife to Justin, mama to Waylon (7/06) Orin (3/28/10) and a surprise arriving in Octoberbellycast.gif

#208 of 597 Old 01-21-2013, 02:01 PM

I also shared on facebook!  

Lyndsi~ wife to Justin, mama to Waylon (7/06) Orin (3/28/10) and a surprise arriving in Octoberbellycast.gif

#209 of 597 Old 01-21-2013, 03:41 PM

I homeschool because I want my children to have the highest quality education possible!
#210 of 597 Old 01-21-2013, 03:42 PM

And I'm sharing on Facebook smile.gif

Tags
Learning Resources , Education , Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page