Enter to Win a Homeschool Curriculum and Gift Basket from Oak Meadow! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 597 Old 01-22-2013, 06:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Homeschool because sticking 30 same aged children in one room to memorize things just seems too strange. And we live in a bad district and private school isn't affordable.
#242 of 597 Old 01-22-2013, 07:55 AM

Why we homeschool? Because I want to be the biggest influence in my child's life. Not a teacher or other children. I also want the ability to control what is going in my child's mind day after day. Not everything they learn in school is productive or helpful and can be harmful and how would you know unless you are right there. So far we've done kindergarten and already with my daughter's lack of concentration I can see how she could be so easily passed over and left behind.
#243 of 597 Old 01-22-2013, 10:56 AM

Why do I homeschool? 

This is a big question. It's a question I field every week, if not every day from someone in my life. At times, I field it from well meaning strangers, at other times I field it from friends or family. The neighbors have asked, the customers at our family business have asked, my parents and my in-laws have asked. I have asked myself countless times on those weeks where it seems that nothing is progressing and all I am doing is arguing with my kids. Strangely enough, my husband does not ask. He is completely sold on the concept and even though we've only made it 5 weeks into our history curriculum in 19 weeks of school, he's sure that our kids are doing great. And he's right, of course. And yet, I struggle with my answer, as many other homeschool mommas do, because I always feel like I could do better. 

I homeschool because:

1. I know my kids.
  • My son, the middle child, is filled with anxieties. Some of those anxieties are justified; he has a life-threatening food allergy and has to be wary of everything he eats. He has had teachers and other school personnel offer him foods that would kill him if he took them, from kindergarten on. He has a soft heart. When dealing with a bully in fourth grade, he told his dad, "Dad, I just can't say those things to him. He's my friend. It would hurt his feelings and I don't want him to feel as bad as I'm feeling." This was about the kid who had been relentlessly bullying him and turning other classmates against him for 3 months.
  • My youngest daughter, the baby of three. She is smart, scary smart. We've made jokes about her taking over the world since before she could walk. In first grade, she came home one day and grabbed a book her brother was complaining about being hard to read (he was in fourth grade at the time). She opened the book and read the entire first chapter aloud, missing only two words: Massachusetts and Chatapiqua (or some equally difficult Native American originated city name). Two days later, her teacher was explaining to me that she was recommending her to the slow readers extra help session (after school for an hour, four days a week) because she was 3-4 months behind in reading. 

2.    I work full-time and odd hours and in school, I barely get to do more than feed my

kids and put them to bed. 

3.     I love seeing them learn and get excited by what they've found out. I love seeing

the enthusiasm slowly creep back into their learning process as they figure out 

the world is their classroom now. 

4.     Standardized testing gave my then-fourth grader an ulcer. You could walk into the

school and feel the tension in the building. The kids were stressed, the teachers

were stressed, and it was hard to breathe the air in the building for that last 5

weeks of practice testing.

5.     I don't think the government and the school boards and the teacher's union have a

better idea of how to deal with my children than I do. I don't think strangers, no

matter how well intentioned and educated should spend more time with my

children than I do. 

6.     They are only small for a such a short time. I have a 23 year old and I missed so 

much of her life by sending her to school and working full-time and sending her

to daycare. I don't want to make the same mistake for the younger two kids.

There will be plenty of time for them to experience the real world when they are    

older and wiser and better equipped to handle it.

7.     Although we are not super religious, the right to call a party a "Christmas Party"

as opposed to a "Winter Celebration" is important to me. I want to share the bible

with my children as well as morality and right from wrong. I want them to be able

to share their belief in God and defend it in an intelligent and thought out way

once they are out in the real world.

8.     I want them to see the merit of hard work and accomplishment as opposed to

skirting by to do just enough because the teacher will probably bump them up

to a B because she knows their smart enough to get a B instead of the C- they

earned. 

9.     I want to read fantastic books with my kids, traipse through the woods and draw

pictures of butterflies and rocks, look at pond scum under a microscope, and take

fantastic trips with my kids and call it schooling, because it is and they will learn

so much more than just cracking open a text book for 6 hours a day!

I guess those are the biggest reasons :)

#244 of 597 Old 01-22-2013, 10:57 AM

I shared on my facebook!

#245 of 597 Old 01-22-2013, 11:48 AM

I choose to home school because I don't trust that the government really has my child's best interest as their priority.  I believe that to raise a critical thinker and self sufficient learner happens at home.  With the "No Child Left Behind Act" and corporate education taking over, standardized testing has become the norms for our educational standards in traditional public schooling.  Children should learn what they want to learn and at the pace they want to learn it.  I want a more personalized and individual approach and more fun.  Education should be fun, exiting, and playful!!!  

#246 of 597 Old 01-22-2013, 11:49 AM

I shared this on my facebook wall!

#247 of 597 Old 01-22-2013, 12:36 PM

I posted this blog to my facebook page joy.gif

#248 of 597 Old 01-22-2013, 12:57 PM

I want to be able to give my children the attention and love they deserve, and tailor their lessons to how they learn and what their interests are. They can't get that kind of involvement in our school systems because it's just not possible for one teacher to give much attention when the class sizes are so large.

#249 of 597 Old 01-22-2013, 01:01 PM

I want my children to be able to direct their own learning experiences.
#250 of 597 Old 01-22-2013, 01:30 PM

I would like to homeschool to spend time watching my children learn and grow!

#251 of 597 Old 01-22-2013, 02:06 PM

one word - freedom.

sharing this link on my facebook and twitter.

stephanie zeck

@zeckiezeckie

thanks for the chance!

#252 of 597 Old 01-22-2013, 02:10 PM

Why homeschool?

We homeschool to encourage our children's talents and offer support to their challenges. I love being able to offer them a well rounded education, strongly based in art, music, and a global perspective.

#253 of 597 Old 01-22-2013, 02:11 PM

We homeschool so my children can learn at their own pace and can learn what they are truly interested in, as well.  Thanks for the chance!!!

#254 of 597 Old 01-22-2013, 02:13 PM

Why homeschool? Because we can tailor the learning environment to suit our daughter. The alternatives here for her were not conductive to her special needs and we want to give her every tool for success. She's incredibly bright but her sensory issues make it so that she would have a hard time in a typical classroom setting, at home we can meet those needs and allow her to pursue whatever topic she's interested in without worrying that she'd be labeled a "problem child" or "disruptive."

#255 of 597 Old 01-22-2013, 02:14 PM

Also shared this on my facebook :) Have "liked" Oak Meadow and Mothering for a long time ;)

#256 of 597 Old 01-22-2013, 02:20 PM

We just started HS in the few weeks!  We decided on HS to spend time together learning about the world together and having fun.

#257 of 597 Old 01-22-2013, 02:21 PM

Just shared on my FB wall...

#258 of 597 Old 01-22-2013, 02:29 PM

We believe in homeschooling because we believe that being by your child as much as possible will shape them so

much more than separating for 8 hours a day.

#259 of 597 Old 01-22-2013, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Why Homeschool?

My two youngest are now 6 and 7, DH and I had planned on homeschooling since before they were born. Homeschooling allows us freedom to pursue parallel  interests, to move ahead, to focus on something a bit longer; it affords me daily quality time with my children and allows us all the excitement of discovery.

Michelle
#260 of 597 Old 01-22-2013, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Shared post on my facebook wall.

Michelle
#261 of 597 Old 01-22-2013, 02:46 PM

We homeschool so my daughter can be herself. I want her to love herself even more than I do (if possible).
#262 of 597 Old 01-22-2013, 02:49 PM

I love the freedom that homeschooling allows us and we love the family bonds that develop as a result!  

#263 of 597 Old 01-22-2013, 02:49 PM

I shared this page on my wall!  Thank you for the opportunity!

#264 of 597 Old 01-22-2013, 02:53 PM

I homeschool because I don't believe in the 'one fits all approach' in schools where kids do not get enough play and hands on learning time. I want to let my children experience the world through play and art, hands on, with an open and exquisitve mind. I want to teach critical thinking and instill a love for learning and life. I want them to experience nature and human connection to the world around us. I want them to be children for as long as they can...

#265 of 597 Old 01-22-2013, 02:55 PM

I am not currently homeschooling but am looking at this curriculum for next year! I want to homeschool for the connectedness that I feel it brings with me and my children!

#266 of 597 Old 01-22-2013, 02:58 PM

Shared on my facebook wall (natali deckmyn).

#267 of 597 Old 01-22-2013, 03:09 PM

Why homeschool? Because I want to continue exploring the world with my children, in every way. 

Lovin' up my Solstice son b. 12/07 and my HBAC Autumn daughters b. 10/10 and 9/12!

#268 of 597 Old 01-22-2013, 03:09 PM

I homeschool for the joy of waking up to learn and play all day with my beautiful, smelly, magical, curious, creative, silly, wonderful daughters.
#269 of 597 Old 01-22-2013, 03:10 PM

The joy that comes when they are in the mud doing sciences, in the kitchen leaning math and best of all they don’t even know it.  Listening to them talk to their friend about things I don’t think many kids their age talk about. The eagerness that is on their faces when we read our books about Greece or Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.  So way to I Home school my family? I home school them to give them what they need that no one can give them Love of a Mother.

posted it on facebook

#270 of 597 Old 01-22-2013, 03:10 PM

We homeschool for the freedom. Freedom to learn what we want, when we want, where we want, and how we want to. For the freedom to explore new places and ideas, and the freedom to sit just quietly when we need that too. We homeschool because we love our family and we like being together. We homeschool because we want to be able to enjoy our own activities and experiences without sacrificing family time.

Tags
Learning Resources , Education , Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page